Very random sci-fi question...

Schlosser85

Civilian
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have no idea where else it would fit...

If a spaceship was flying in the upper level of a planet's atmosphere, would taking out its engine bank cause it to crash to the planet surface, or just immobilize it? :dry:

Serious replies please.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have no idea where else it would fit...

If a spaceship was flying in the upper level of a planet's atmosphere, would taking out its engine bank cause it to crash to the planet surface, or just immobilize it? :dry:

Serious replies please.

Gravity would eventually pull it down.

Going by the sci-fi shows I've seen. I think it would crash. Even ships in orbit can lose their orbit when the engines go out.

Eventually? As in, it would not instantaneously plunge into a crash like an airplane?

If it's already in the atmosphere, then I think it would immediately start to be pulled in by the gravitational pull. If they were in high orbit, it would take longer.

If it's already in the atmosphere, then I think it would immediately start to be pulled in by the gravitational pull. If they were in high orbit, it would take longer.

That's my thought too.

Schloss, I know you wanted serious answers only, but I just have to post this:

I need to buy that.

Okay, if anyone wants to chew on this scenario...

A pirate ship is making a raid on another ship in the upper atmosphere. They knock out the main power grid, send a raid party in a shuttlecraft that latches on to the target ship and cut into its hull to board it.

Is there a better way to immobilize the other ship rather than taking out the main power grid and engines, so it wouldn't crash?

A pirate ship is making a raid on another ship in the upper atmosphere. They knock out the main power grid, send a raid party in a shuttlecraft that latches on to the target ship and cut into its hull to board it.

Is there a better way to immobilize the other ship rather than taking out the main power grid and engines, so it wouldn't crash?

They could take out helm control and weapons. Then give the standard, "Prepare to be boarded."

Do they have Star Trek type tech....if so, they can use a power tractor beam.

Lower tech, they can attach actual grappling hook type connections to keep it from getting away or falling to earth while their mothership keeps it aloft.

Hmm. I guess I was looking for a way to immobilize it while boarding. I felt like the target crew would be freaking out and trying to fly away. Can they fly at all without helm control, just not steer, or would they not be able to go anywhere at all?

Do they have Star Trek type tech....if so, they can use a power tractor beam.

Lower tech, they can attach actual grappling hook type connections to keep it from getting away or falling to earth while their mothership keeps it aloft.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, but that made me worry about this scene seeming like a rip-off of the prologue of The Dark Knight Rises.

Ah, this is fun. How about this:

- Attacking ship takes out target ship's power grid, etc.

- Attacking ship sends out several one-man swarm ships (or drones with AI) to latch on to the target ship, to keep it from falling and also control its movement.

- Attacking ship uses giant harpoons to further ensare target ship, drawing it closer so it can be boarded.

- Attacking ship boards, does its damage, etc.

- Attacking ship releases boarding tube and harpoon cables, and recalls its swarm ships/drones. The target ship is left adrift to die.

Ah, this is fun. How about this:

- Attacking ship takes out target ship's power grid, etc.

- Attacking ship sends out several one-man swarm ships (or drones with AI) to latch on to the target ship, to keep it from falling and also control its movement.

- Attacking ship uses giant harpoons to further ensare target ship, drawing it closer so it can be boarded.

- Attacking ship boards, does its damage, etc.

- Attacking ship releases boarding tube and harpoon cables, and recalls its swarm ships/drones. The target ship is left adrift to die.

:dry:

I like your brain :yay:

Jumping out of ship onto surface of other ship a few dozen feet below through open air, flying through the atmosphere....how not to get swept away?

Well if its low high tech (space travel but no tractor beams) the physics could be fairly easy to work out if just jumping. Or use rocket packs (Think Rocketeer... IN SPACE!)

That's exactly what I was thinking of, but that made me worry about this scene seeming like a rip-off of the prologue of The Dark Knight Rises.

Then you can call TDKR a rip off of Star Trek Enterprise.....because they used that back in 2001.

Jumping out of ship onto surface of other ship a few dozen feet below through open air, flying through the atmosphere....how not to get swept away?

Magnetic gloves.

If the pirate ship could target the critical systems it could disable engines and life support immobilizing the ship and killing the crew allowing the pirates to board with no resistance.

It is possible for an orbiting craft to have no propulsive power (e.g., no active engines) and remain in orbit without falling to earth. This depends upon the balance between its "forward" momentum and the pull of gravity. In space, without any force to oppose its momentum, an object can move indefinitely (an object in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by another force). This is the principle upon which the moon orbits the earth, the planets orbit the sun, etc. Nothing is "pushing" them forward. There is no constant application of force except that of gravity, but their "forward" momentum is sufficient to prevent them from falling to the source of said gravity. In this case, "forward" refers to movement perpendicular to the direction of gravitational attraction. You could theoretically launch a bowling ball into orbit if you so desired, for example.

If the object in question is not free from the atmosphere, then there will be a cumulative effect of drag on the object's forward momentum. This means that, eventually, the object's forward momentum will be reduced (its velocity will be reduced through drag), and will eventually become unable to resist the pull of gravity enough to remain in orbit. If it is free of the atmosphere, then no propulsive force is necessary to maintain orbit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"