Virtual Reality Game: Beat Saber

Yowza

Sidekick
Reaction score
I was blown away by the videos online just now. Windows, Playstation 4, Oculus VR, and Android it all currently works with while donning a VR headset (most headsets work such as Playstation VR, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest...).

Taking things further, a green screen can be added to create a VR play area in one's own home it appears:

There's another video with no green screen and just showing play by depth camera:

About the Game:
Beat Saber - Wikipedia Beat Saber is a virtual reality rhythm game developed and published by Beat Games. The game features the player slicing blocks representing musical beats with a pair of red and blue light sabers and takes place in a surrealistic neon noir environment.

Releases by Beat Games:
PC: May 1 2018: Microsoft Windows Early Access Release (custom song editor postponed bit over year from this date);;;; May 2019: Editor for creation of custom songs Release; may 21 2019: Game fully released out of early access

Console: November 20 2018: Playstation 4 Release

Extras: March 2019: First Paid Song Track from electronic music label Monstercat (april fools day free update later added); may 2 2019: prototype version of game "Beat Saber Origins" released on anniversary of games release; Fall 2019: A vibrating backpack known as a Subpac was put out in limited release that let users feel beats of songs; December 2019: Beat Saber 360 Degree Mode supposedly released

Developments: Nov. 26 2019 Facebook through Oculus Studios announces purchase of Beat Games (said Beat Saber still developed on 3rd party platforms besides Occulus and Beat Saber operates as independent studio)

Oculus VR and Android Versions: Released at some point.

Arcade: Skonec out of South Korea in partnership with Beat games developed an arcade version. More can be seen here: https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/08/ the-beat-goes-on-beat-saber-arcade-officially-announced/ It's making it into a location based VR attraction that a lot of malls are increasingly starting to employ.

Edit: Couldn't spell title right as for some reason forums won't let me spell the word Sa ber (without the space) without changing it to "Sabre" all the time which is odd. Hence, the weblink in Arcade area isn't working since that word in the link isn't spelled right due to autocorrect.

Last edited:
This looks like a lot of fun but I'd probably avoid the VR for too long to avoid any health based problems (I don't know if I'd be wanting to do some of the bright/flashier beat runs very often). The VR arcade machine is a fitting alternative that probably has potential of less flicker though... There's an arcade called Fruit Ninja I've seen that involves movement as well.

A lot of videogames that inspire movement and levity to social interactions I think are a good direction for games to go in general.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"