The Dark Knight Visual Style

It would have obviously been a rumor.

It being early doesn't mean anything, though. Art design takes place early in pre-production, so any decisions on it would have to be made rather early.

EDIT: Yeah, now I remember. It was from a BOF report. Obviously, it is just a rumor, however, judging from the tone of The Prestige alone, I would be really surprised if TDK looked greatly different than BB.

That's true. For some inside info, I expected something a bit...more than that. Seems weird that's the only thing gotten out of an insider.

Well, I could have said that. I mean, why change it completely? There'd be no reason to.

nipples on everything... business suits. bathing suits. evening attire.
and neon under every car.
i demand it.

I say, Nolan should not change his vissual style, which worked well in BB :mad: :up:

But I'd like to see a bit darker Gotham.

Anyway, TDK is the tile of movie, so the same will be with movie itself. It will be much darker in vissual style.

Begins was actually based on Blade Runner in places - Most notable when we see the alleyway in the narrows with the bikes going down it.

I personally enjoyed the visual style of Begins.

Burton's was good but a bit narrow in it's scope, I didn't get the get the impression it was a vast city.

I suspect we'll be seeing more the Narrows in 'The Dark Knight' with Batman trying to hunt down the remaining Arkham escapees.

V said:
Begins was actually based on Blade Runner in places - Most notable when we see the alleyway in the narrows with the bikes going down it.

I personally enjoyed the visual style of Begins.

Burton's was good but a bit narrow in it's scope, I didn't get the get the impression it was a vast city.

I suspect we'll be seeing more the Narrows in 'The Dark Knight' with Batman trying to hunt down the remaining Arkham escapees.

I never considered Gotham to be a vast city, on a 1-10 vast scale Metropolis being the 10, Gotham would come in somewhere around a
5-6.
Always thought of it as a city that was collapsing in on itself, stunted in expansive financial growth, where a large population was hopelessly trapped in an area limited in geographic scope, hence the squallor, corruption, and depravation of the city.

I like what Nolan did . . . he rooted the film in his own vision of Batman's reality . . . Burton's style fit the type of movie he was aiming for, which detracted from the film's realism a bit . . . . but I will agree that Burtons' vision of Gotham of City was spot on for 'the look'; but we've already been there/done that

afan said:
I never considered Gotham to be a vast city, on a 1-10 vast scale Metropolis being the 10, Gotham would come in somewhere around a
5-6.
Always thought of it as a city that was collapsing in on itself, stunted in expansive financial growth, where a large population was hopelessly trapped in an area limited in geographic scope, hence the squallor, corruption, and depravation of the city.

I mean that we didn't get to see much of his city.

It didn't seem to exist beyond that main central square.

We never got a real scope of how big his Gotham was.

Why should Nolan change visual style? Why would he? It's his style, he created his Gotham and visuals and he loves his and his' art director's visual style...

V said:
I mean that we didn't get to see much of his city.

It didn't seem to exist beyond that main central square.

We never got a real scope of how big his Gotham was.

Agree, but I think that was intentional to make his Gotham claustrophobic. There was a city scape view of Gotham in the opening scenes. It appeared to be small in scale, but very compact.

all singer and nolan need to do is switch when i watch BB i see metropolis, and when i watch SR i see gotham but jus a lil bit cleaner.

afan said:
Agree, but I think that was intentional to make his Gotham claustrophobic. There was a city scape view of Gotham in the opening scenes. It appeared to be small in scale, but very compact.

I think it was more because he was somewhat limited in his space on the backlot of the studio and less of his artistic vision.

It has already been reported that TDK will be "darker" then Begins. I think that they should go as dark as possible without turning it into a Batman Returns situation. Don't make every character dark, don't make every single wall down to the corners gothic. Just have a very dark visual style. That's all I got. Mix the Batman ('89) and Begins styles and you'll be making "art until someone dies". HaHeHaHa!

First of all, Batman isn't exclusively a "gothic" character. Can't you guys get that? Just because there is dark / gothic elements, does not make it definitively "gothic".

I think keeping a similar visual tone, for all the Nolan Bat-films will be a plus. It allows for an actual feeling of a continued story, and world. It is quite annoying to watch Burton to Burton Bat-film and see a difference, then an even more radical change from Burton to Shumacher, and under all that...try to believe it is still the same world, and same characters extended from the first movie. I thought Nolan's rustic / orangy tint to the film was quite cool. And for the most part, worked pretty well. The only thing I want to see this next time, is better usage of shadows. I want to see Batman not always fully exposed. I want to see him talk to a GPD officer, but be meshed in shadows and dim lighted areas, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"