Voltron: Legendary Defender

Opening seconds of the new season was a low blow...

EDIT: Good pay off later in the episode, though,

Last edited:
Started watching this show at the beginning but fell off but I am now on season 6 but currently finishing Trollhunters part/season 3 before 3Below premieres next week and then plan to finish Voltron next.

I enjoyed Season 8....but I feel like it should have been two 10 episode seasons.

Yep. A lot of things felt rushed.

At the very least all the budget they saved in the early episodes showed up in the final episodes.

I wish there had been more Robeasts in between season 2 and 8, even if they were common. Overall, a good series, even if the budget issues really started to get to me on the last two seasons. I think DeSantos and Montegomery will be fine on movies, if they need a little more work on their long form series work.

I'm guessing by the comments - the previous people felt like I did and that it was just insanely rushed at the end?

I didn't even realize they had discovered they were alteans and completely against allura till what felt like half way through and didn't feel Allura didn't really show much emotion regarding this aside from yelling at it a couple times.

Some really cool scenes, it just felt like they kept getting upgrades, non-stop then the upgrades would do nothing...rinse and repeat.

I was also hoping they'd do more with Atlas this time around, aside from just making it lingering in the background.

Character development was great, could have used at least 2-3 more episodes, or at least cut from the pointless ones early on in the season.

My frustration came from the clear budget saving parts. Studio Mir can do amazing things. But you have got to give them the time and money.

And I think Netflix pushed the schedule too fast. 76 episodes in 2 years is too much for a quality standpoint. Both in animation and storytelling.

There's also apparently a rumor circling around that there was executive meddling because of the season 7 backlash.

There's also apparently a rumor circling around that there was executive meddling because of the season 7 backlash.

If there was, I don't think it's too much, since there is a huge lead time between the finished product and audience reaction. The thing I can buy the most being some meddling is
the after-credits epilogue, especially the Shiro part.
, since that could be added there easily without too much work. I think the fact that Tim Hedrick left to work on the Fast and the Furious cartoon might also account for the different feel in the writing.

Overall, though, I wouldn't put too much stock in rumors. A lot of fans are hysterical right now, and many of them are claiming to be interns with no source or proof.

When would they have had time to meddle? The time frame from when 7 and 8 released was not enough time for meddling. And you can completely tell the one scene that was rushed into production (the wedding).

I mean, I do buy the rumors that the showrunners got angry at the Klance shippers. But come one, someone sent death threats. That is enough to taint the fandom. The writing issues appear to be mainly due to the rushed production schedule.

I've been hearing a rumor that there was a lot of internal squabble about who to pair Allura with, and the two big ones were Shiro and Keith. But they ultimately went with Lance.

I started watching this show and I have a question, in season 1, I can't pin point who drives the black lion after Shiro left it, wiki says it's Keith, if that so, Allura is driving the red, am I correct ?

No, Allura is Blue. Lance gets Red.

Cool, thanks.
Recap for season 1 after Shiro left :
Black is Keith
Blue is Allura
Red is Lance
Yellow is Hook
Green is Pidge.

Last edited:
I'm a tad confused.
Thinking I was watching season 1, I was in fact watching season 8 but the first episode of season 8 ( a 1 hour ep where the guys find the lions ) is the same as season 1. I finished s08 ( still thinking it was s01 ) but when I started s02, I realized something was wrong....
Is season 8 a condensed version of the previous seasons ?

Scratch that, the streaming site I was using must have messed up season 8 episodes....so much for me for being cheap but on the other hand I watched a full series in only 13 episodes with a beginning ( the 1 hour episode ) and an end.

Last edited:
No. It sounds like something is mislabeled.

Yeah, I edited my post after doing some checking.
Well, a pirate plunder is not always paying :)

So just finished the series. It's bittersweet but the the overall story was fine but the it felt like the secondary and tertiary storylines were rushed.

I felt the whole Shiro getting married was a the writers apologizing for last season. I'm not going back but was that guy even introduced or shown? It felt like pandering to me. Meanwhile, nothing was really shown with Keith and Acxa outside of them working together. This almost felt like, the end of playing Mass Effect 3.

So just finished the series. It's bittersweet but the the overall story was fine but the it felt like the secondary and tertiary storylines were rushed.

I felt the whole Shiro getting married was a the writers apologizing for last season. I'm not going back but was that guy even introduced or shown? It felt like pandering to me. Meanwhile, nothing was really shown with Keith and Acxa outside of them working together. This almost felt like, the end of playing Mass Effect 3.

apprently the guy's name is curtis, and I think he's a one of the bridge operators on the Atlas...because i think i saw him watch Shiro arm wrestle during Clear Day

I just finished this. I really like all these characters, but the way the plot strung them together, specifically, the way Voltron's powers work so arbitrarily really didn't help carry the character work into the larger plot. Instead of developing the Paladins and attaching those developments to Voltron's new powers so they feel earned its just... 'magic time' and booyah. I think, in a lot of ways, the show was too ambitious, with its near randomly paced , but breakneck speed release schedule. There were so many great ideas here, and when a couple of them came together the show was truly magical. I think because the character work and isolated ideas were so strong, I think the filler episodes are the best stuff. There's real creativity shining in Day 47, or Space Mall or the D&D episode. It almost seemed like they should do that more often.

When reflecting on the overall plot developments, with Voltron and the Galra and the villains, it's hard not to feel like there was just a bunch of missed opportunity. I see what some are saying by that it was too rushed, but I think, in truth, it was too ambitious, seeking to develop a whole universe instead of galvanize its corner first. Perhaps that was unavoidable since their strength seems to be strong clear unique character introductions, but like... Zethrid has an arc by the time they figured out what they wanted to do with Lance. That's how disinterested the show is in the deeper arcs for its mains and how interested it is in creating arcs for what are essentially colorful redshirts. The epilogue was mostly trash, I also interpreted Shiro's marriage as pandering, but also a sort of apology/correction/replacement, as a similar cartoon, for the way the final kiss was dodged at the end of Korra. Hunk's ending was pure boss though, I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

All in all, it's truly a great TV show, but it shows how hard it is to do Avatar The Last Airbender again. Even when you have the time and money, there's a kind of restraint needed, and Voltron didn't really have that and so the ending to this huge epic journey feels like a little bit of a tumble. Didn't mean the ride wasn't fun, because hot dog, we got a great ride. Binged every single episode. Don't regret a single minute of it. And honestly, if the show wasn't great, I wouldn't be so disappointed that there wasn't more of it, would I?

jcTj8nK.gif

Just finished it up.

I really didn’t feel like Allura had to die. Seemed the issue was resolved and Honerva could’ve fixed things since she was back to normal. Just felt Allura’s death could’ve been avoided.

I knew Hunk had to become some kind of famous chef at the end of all this.

Was that robot Pidge was making a reference to the original show?

I was amused by Shiro’s ending since I was wondering who that new guy was they would show in some scenes. I personally don’t feel like it was pandering or trying to make up for what some fans thought they’d get out of this show.

I did think Keith and Axca would have something happen between them but I guess they didn’t care to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"