WalMart Confirm $50 360 Price Drop?

I don't see why they just don't drop it a whole $100 instead of just $50. Then again, considering the amount of money that went into the warranty fiasco it begins to make sense.

It's pretty rare for a console to drop more than $50 at a time. The PS3 is different, because it's price is already so high, but still, considering it's effectively a "price swap" it's dismissable.

It's pretty rare for a console to drop more than $50 at a time. The PS3 is different, because it's price is already so high, but still, considering it's effectively a "price swap" it's dismissable.

True, but if the PS3 keeps going down in the 100s, Microsoft is going to have a tough time selling much more than their competitor if they're only dropping the price $50 every two years or around there. If the console only drops to $300 three-four years into it's lifespan, there's a problem.

This is interesting.

Future Games Will Require the HDD

While many were surprised by the fact that MS was planning drop the Core from it's SKU line-up, it finally helped XF make sense of something we stumbled upon late last week. Recent rumors regarding games being "dumbed down" abound, coupled with word from our contacts last week that the the Core was being discontinued had lead us to believe MS was about to make a big change to the way 360 games are made.

As many people will remember, the original XBOX was capable of some very large games that contained great AI and graphics for the time. To put it simply, this was possible because the data on the DVD was able to be compressed quite heavily, because it was then streamed off the disc and uncompressed to the HDD that every original XBOX had. This allowed for shorter (less frequent) load times and also allow for much more data to be placed on the DVD.

XF has learned that MS has plans for the 360 to do the very same thing. Games requiring the HDD will initially have a "HDD required" logo clearly viewable on the front of the case, as well being listed as requiring the HDD on the back info panel of the case.

No word yet on the first game to that will start this trend of requiring the HDD. But we have some ideas. XF will elaborate on this story as soon as we have more. While it would be fun to "speculate" at possible games that will require the HDD, we'll stick to what we already know.

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=56074

Microsoft: 'Every game will work with every 360 system'

Microsoft denied reports that select Xbox 360 titles will require a hard drive to play games amid growing concerns among Xbox 360 Core owners (those without hard drives).
"Every game will work with every Xbox 360 system," a Microsoft spokesman told GamePro when asked about the "Hard Drive Required" sticker. "But just like some games will require you to have a Memory Unit to save games, some games will require you to have a Hard Drive to experience them."

For example, gamers can't fully experience the critically acclaimed Oblivion without at least a memory card to save one's progress the representative explained. It is still unclear how a lack of hard drive might affect the gameplay experience outside of game saves, however.

An estimated 20 percent of the total Xbox 360 install base own the Core model without hard drive.

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=57188

20 percent is more than I thought. We will see MS. WE will see.

True, but if the PS3 keeps going down in the 100s, Microsoft is going to have a tough time selling much more than their competitor if they're only dropping the price $50 every two years or around there. If the console only drops to $300 three-four years into it's lifespan, there's a problem.

The PS3 will need alot more than that to catch up. Granted i would love to see another price drop by November as thats when i plan on picking one up, but i wont pay more than 500 bux.

The PS3 will need alot more than that to catch up. Granted i would love to see another price drop by November as thats when i plan on picking one up, but i wont pay more than 500 bux.

Sony needs to fire Kaz if there is not a price drop as SOON as the 80 gig is the new system. $599 vs. $349? Get the **** outta here. You would have to be a maniac to get the PS3 over the 360 then. A ****ing maniac. I'm talking about at LEAST A $100 dollars. And I can just see Dave Karraker's face with that s*** eating grin saying "Hey we're all out of 60 gigs, back to $600. We're experiencing so much growth, don't worry about it."

Official 360 Price Drop

Microsoft has just given word that it has officially dropped the price of the Xbox 360 by $50 U.S. dollars to coincide with the release of Madden NFL 08. Beginning August 8, the "Premium" system will retail for $349.99 (down from $399.99) and will still come complete with a headset, controller and 20GB hard drive. The Xbox 360 core system, which is the system only, has dropped $20 itself -- down to $279.99 from $299.99.

In "special package land," gamers with extra money to spend can pick up the Elite version of the Xbox 360 for $449.99 (down thirty bucks from its original $479.99 pricing). The Halo 3 Xbox 360 will ship in September for $399.99.

"The fact that we have been able to keep our launch price longer than any other console while retaining our leadership position demonstrates that consumers believe in the value of Xbox 360," said Mitch Koch, corporate vice president, Global Retail Sales and Marketing Group, Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. "On the eve of the best holiday games lineup ever and the launch of Madden NFL 08, there has never been a better time to jump into Xbox 360."

Expect more should it develop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"