Watching The World Burn: The RPG Boards' Dark Knight Discussion

Okay, I'm probably going to be torn to pieces for this, but I wouldn't give The Dark Knight more than a solid 7 out of 10. Maybe the hype got to me, but it just wasn't as impressive as I hoped. While a great job was done all around with the characters, I just couldn't feel it. The Batman/Joker conflict relied, to my taste, too much on the fact that we automatically link the two and consider them archnemesises, rather than what was actually shown in the film.

And yes, I actually thought Two-Face was more awesome than the Joker. His scenes and the whole begin bit with the Chinese businessmen and Maroni were actually my favourite parts of the movie.

I've got to agree with Harl here, I thought Two-Face (but more specifically, Harvey Dent) was portrayed the best in the movie.

Shame we won't be seeing much more of him. :csad:

I really don't think that we'll see a more complete portrayl of either Joker or Harvey Dent/Two-Face in any media for a long while, if ever.

It's going to take alot to top this if they make a third, however I said that after I saw the first one and somehow they managed to pull it off, so I'm not going to rule it out.

Eh. I wouldn't say you should get torn to pieces. It's actually a bit refreshing to see a different opinion from the norm, if that makes any sense. :huh:

$300k+ in 10 days tends to disagree with you, Harl. :o But I won't crucify you for your opinion.

I do agree with the parts of the movie focusing on Dent were the most engaging, definitely my favorite scenes. Not so much on the 7/10, but I do respect your opnion.

*sharpens knives*

One of my friends already described me as certifiably insane. I have a feeling it will probably hold up better for me the second time, that the hype ended up getting to me, but I'm sorry, I just didn't feel it. The battle between the Batman and Joker just wasn't there. I didn't, aside from Dent, Gordon, Lucius and Alfred, believe it. And I don't mean that in the 'it wasn't realistic sense'. I just felt like the movie relied more heavily on the explosions and the intrinsic power of the Batman/Joker conflict than it actually did on character and story development (Two-Face aside).

For all it's worth, the Joker did not progress as a character. As the villain, he does not necessarily have to, but it feels kinda wrong when the hero doesn't either. Batman felt like a supporting character rather than a hero, which is why I totally dug the first act of the film, since it focussed much more on Batman.

This film, to me at least, should've been Batman: The Dark Knight.

It was Joker Begins.

As to the final nail in the coffin: Ledger wasn't that good. Rather flat in some cases even.

I don't know, the hype probably got me down.

As to the final nail in the coffin: Ledger wasn't that good. Rather flat in some cases even.

Oh, wow. I mean no disrespect, but I don't think I've ever disagreed more with someone.

I'm not saying he was bad, not at all. Like I said, he's good, but I don't think he deserves an Oscar like some people seem to think.

Look on the bright side, Harl: if you share your opinion with the wrong person, you'll be able to say, "Know how I got these scars?"

I know my opinion isn't the popular one. I'll be seeing the movie again Thursday to see if I was 'wrong'. I fear I won't be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"