WB is Making the Suicide Squad movie

Double Down

A New Kind of Thrill
Reaction score
Warner Bros. sets up 'Suicide Squad'
Dan Lin to produce supervillain franchise

By DAVE MCNARY
Warner Bros. is going on a suicide mission, setting up the DC Comics property "Suicide Squad" for Dan Lin ("Sherlock Holmes") to produce as a potential franchise.
In a departure from normal comic-based fare, "Suicide Squad" concentrates on a group of incarcerated supervillains rather than the usual focus on superheroes. The first version of the squad debuted in a 1959 DC Comic, and a series was launched in 1987.
Stephen Gilchrist from Lin Pictures will co-produce. Justin Marks("20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "Hack/Slash," "Street Fighter") is penning the screenplay.
"Suicide Squad" will feature a mix of well-known and unknown villains recruited by the government to accomplish a task deemed too dangerous for superheroes. The historically independent operators must bury their own interpersonal conflicts and agendas to form a cohesive unit to take on a singular task. Lin's a former Warner exec who set up his own Warner-based shingle at the start of last year. Besides producing "Sherlock Holmes," starring Robert Downey Jr., Lin's a producer on "This Side of the Truth" and "The Box" and an exec producer on "Terminator Salvation" and "Shorts."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000590.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Last edited:
WTF. Not that I expect this to go anywhere. Teen Titans, anyone!

Maybe they've abandoned the Green Arrow/Supermax version. Rumors of a Green Arrow/Martian Manhunter pilot being made for the CW.

holy cow for real? :wow:
i really like the comics, at least the current ones. not even sure if there were earlier version of Suicide Squad.

I guess this pretty much cements Justin Marks as the "Zak Penn" of DC Comics movies.

This project has so much potential, why Justin Marks?

I sense a name change or a controversy.

Dan Lin was producing the Justice League movie, but when that was shelved, they gave him this to produce instead? Interesting.

Justin Marks stay the hell away from it.
I bet if this gets made a Deadshot spin-off wouldn't be far behind. I say have Gage the guy who wrote the Deadshot mini and some episodes of Law and Order to write this. He's pretty good.

Maybe they've abandoned the Green Arrow/Supermax version. Rumors of a Green Arrow/Martian Manhunter pilot being made for the CW.

That's an interesting pairing. Granted, they're my two favorite DC characters (and J'onn is my favorite superhero) and I have no issues with a show featuring them, but it's still odd.

Controversy can be a good thing for a franchise like this. It'll give it free publicity a lesser DCU franchise usually wouldn't get.

True, but suicide is a sensitive issue, and the name may be misconstrued by those who don't know about it, and things like that can snowball.

I'd prefer that they keep the name, "Suicide Squad" sounds much better than "Task Force X".

I guess this pretty much cements Justin Marks as the "Zak Penn" of DC Comics movies.

This project has so much potential, why Justin Marks?
He's David Goyers protege. After those two batmans WBs lets Goyer do whatever he wants. Sadly that gives Justin Marks a place to play.

True, but suicide is a sensitive issue, and the name may be misconstrued by those who don't know about it, and things like that can snowball.

That's true. I hadn't thought of that.

I'd prefer that they keep the name, "Suicide Squad" sounds much better than "Task Force X".
Agreed. Though if they change the title to Task Force X I won't complain.

What rumors? Do you have any links?

I'd bet they scrapped SuperMax totally and decided to retool it into this.

Not that I'm complaining really.

That's true. I hadn't thought of that.

Agreed. Though if they change the title to Task Force X I won't complain.

I wouldn't ***** about Task Force X, though I prefer Suicide Squad.

And just to play the devil's advocate; "Suicide Squad", a movie about a team of supervillains, sounds like a group of psychos who go around forcing people to kill themselves. Stupid I know, but tell me, is it not possible?

Get Justin Marks off this project, then maybe I'll be interested.

And just to play the devil's advocate; "Suicide Squad", a movie about a team of supervillains, sounds like a group of psychos who go around forcing people to kill themselves. Stupid I know, but tell me, is it not possible?
And with a title like Suicide Squad you can't sell action figures. If this were the 80s then yeah they could sadly it isn't.

I thought people might think the squad assassinate targets by blowing themselves up. That's why I'm fine with the title change. Hopefully it won't happen but you never know.

I thought people might think the squad assassinate targets by blowing themselves up. That's why I'm fine with the title change. Hopefully it won't happen but you never know.

Or that. It's a much less stupid assumption.

What rumors? Do you have any links?

It was in a discussion of the CW's options for next fall on another website. A poster Nick C. who has some "connections" in show business. He's a pretty reliable poster from what I can tell. He'll admit when his info is wrong.

BODY POLITIC: pilot commissioned about aids for a senator.
MELROSE PLACE: pilot about reviving another ex-FOX 30 something soap.
LILY: No pilot. Instead they’re doing a backdoor pilot as an upcoming episode of GOSSIP GIRL
DC COMIC PILOT: Currently it looks like MARTIAN MANHUNTER and GREEN ARROW teamed up, not sure what they’ll call it.
LIGHT YEARS: pilot about orphan who finds her birth parents who haven’t spoken since she was given up for adoption, but for some only on TV reason they get together and make a family.
THE VAMPIRE DIARIES: Adaptation of teen vampire books by same guy behind DAWSONS CREEK.
plus two other pilots…
That is 8 pilots (that ain’t cheap). They have Monday, half of Tuesday and Wednesday, and Thursday all tidied up with those renewals. 90210 btw, bad decision the ratings just aren’t there lately. 90210 looks like a KNIGHT RIDER decision a “wtf,” at the time, and then a few weeks later is going to look incredibly stupid.
The “early,” renewals are Dawn’s way of trying to show she is in control for now and the future. They’re still likely to fire her or dump the network.

Probably a Justice League series, likely based on the Smallville stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"