WB nabs rights to 'Ninja Scroll'

Rezzo

The Fire Rises
Reaction score
Variety said:
WB nabs rights to 'Ninja Scroll'
Studio to give anime a live-acton makeover

Warner Bros. has acquired rights to turn the Japanese action thriller anime "Ninja Scroll" into a live action feature. Alex Tse has been set to write the script.
Pic will be produced by Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way, with Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Mike Ireland producing. Appian is mounting the film as a co-production with Mad House.

"Scroll," set in feudal Japan, revolves around ninja for hire is forced to fight an old enemy who will stop at nothing to overthrow the government. DiCaprio is not planning to act in the film.

Tse's recent credits include the Zack Snyder-directed "Watchmen," and the adaptation of Ray Bradbury novel "The Illustrated Man," which Snyder is planning to direct for Warner Bros. He also adapted "Frankie Machine," based on the Don Winslow novel "The Winter of Frankie Machine." Michael Mann is attached to direct and Robert De Niro to star for Paramount.

Tse is repped by CAA.

Didn't see a thread on this.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like 'Akira', this will be a 'vapor movie'.

Give it an asian cast and I'm 100% behind it as opposed to the 90% that I am just hearing about this.

YEAHH BABY .

PLz don't mess this up. This is one of my favorite anime movies ( yes i know the plot is paperthin but so was 300 :woot:).

I'm curious to DiCaprio's interest in Ninja Scrolls. This could be really good.

This movie could be good, or very, very bad. I just hope they won't cast white actors in this adaptation that is supposed to set in feudal Japan. Also, I hope they won't skip on the blood, gore, and even nudity in the movie, but I have a feeling this will turn out to be a PG-13 fare to get the most dollars in the summer.

i'm always curious when they get a property when the story takes place in Japan, or any other Asian countries. So are they...going to use Asian actors? Is it in Japanese (I doubt it).

Maybe this could be one of those films that could really work, hmm.

only America director i can see not holding back for this is Zach Snyder and Tarintino

but they should Cast Takeshi Kaneshiro for the main character

I don't get licenses like this. I mean what interest would WB have in Ninja Scroll? How would they even make a Ninja Scroll movie?

maybe they want ninja scroll as ADULT SWIM MATERIAL and decided to make a movie of it to sweeten the deal

maybe they want ninja scroll as ADULT SWIM MATERIAL and decided to make a movie of it to sweeten the deal

Seems rather pointless. If all WB wants is the Ninja Scroll series for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, why would they need to do a live-action film of the original anime as well? Doesn't make any sense.

But yes, I can already see them removing A LOT of stuff from the Anime.

Seems rather pointless. If all WB wants is the Ninja Scroll series for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, why would they need to do a live-action film of the original anime as well? Doesn't make any sense.

But yes, I can already see them removing A LOT of stuff from the Anime.

Which imo makes it ridiculous and pointless to be on Adult Swim, because you can't just gut it to make it acceptable to air on a cable network. It won't be Ninja Scroll if you pick and choose which part you want on an edit-for-TV edition.

If movies like The Matrix , 300 and Wanted have shown us one thing , it's that action and gore will be easily be watched it it's presented in a very stylised way.
Aside from the fact that Matrix and Wanted had the whole "OMG nerd becomes superhero " theme and 300 had the "badass 4life" theme , the action was a important draw for the audience.

That's why i think a Ninja Scroll movie can work if they have similar stylised action scenes in the movie.

I don't know. I liked the Anime, but It was pretty straightforward. I can't imagine any changes I'd like. Still, It's certainly full of potential.

Can't wait to see how bad they screw this one up. :up:

Well, good thing so far is Fox didn't snatch it.

Give it an asian cast and I'm 100% behind it as opposed to the 90% that I am just hearing about this.

I agree anything less than an asian cast and I am out, I dont want WB doing a Fox and DB. This could be interesting although I cant see it been widely successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"