WB's 'Pinocchio' (Robert Downey Jr.)

I thought it was, they're like *******s, everyone is one.

My initial reaction: I'm pumped PTA is working again so soon. He's pals with RDJ and has four kids of his own. Also, he could use his name attached to something financially successful after The Master and Inherent Vice didn't sell well. Plus, people forget the original story of Pinocchio is pretty damn bizarre. I think there's potential for a pretty cool film. All of these factors make me think its a good fit. He's said he wants to do something his kids can see and he's defended comic book films time and time again, so he clearly has no qualms with doing a big budget mainstream film. I wonder if he was tinkering with this for RDJ for awhile, because he compared Joanne Newsome's character in Inherent Vice to Jiminy Cricket an awful lot during promotion for the film. Also, with RDJ producing, PTA will have one of the producers as a staunch ally during in disputes. Oh yeah, and Inherent Vice was a WB film and he seemed to really like working with them. This is definitely not expected, but when you look at all the pieces, it actually makes more sense than you would orignally think.

Last but not least, the PTA camp seem pretty sure that he will end up directing as well, and will shoot it in CinemaScope, which Tarantino's DP for Hateful Eight confirmed PTA has been experimenting with them. Exciting times

Last edited:
I haven't seen many of his films, but PTA is one of the few "artsy" directors who doesn't need to rag on superhero movies to feel important so he's cool in my book.

Weird, but if I remember right though the original Pinocchio is super out there, I don't even understand how you could make a movie out of that today.

I haven't seen many of his films, but PTA is one of the few "artsy" directors who doesn't need to rag on superhero movies to feel important so he's cool in my book.

He seems pretty down-to-earth. He likes doing stuff that interests him, not something that makes him the most money.

And if he were open to doing a DC Comics film, WB would fall over themselves locking him in. I'm not a big fan of PTA's films, but him playing in comic-book land sounds really enticing.

PTA, please come back!!!!

Or scrap his script, then start all over with Coen bros. That I can accept! :)

When he does fantasy, he's better.

:dry: Great. Howard's nowhere near the level of PTA.

It wasn't great, but I did like "In the Heart of the Sea".

Howard is sorta of an unpredictable director. You can get a Rush or Frosr/Nixon, and then get something like stupid Vince Vaughn movie he did.

He really is all over the place. I have no idea how the hell someone goes from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to "A Beautiful Mind" a year later.

Howard is sorta of an unpredictable director. You can get a Rush or Frosr/Nixon, and then get something like stupid Vince Vaughn movie he did.

Cowboys and Aliens had

-Spielberg
-Ron Howard and Brian Grazer
-Jon Favearu

and it still failed.

Cowboys and Aliens had

-Spielberg
-Ron Howard and Brian Grazer
-Jon Favearu

and it still failed.

Jeez, I had forgotten all about that one. People just couldn't have cared less about the concept in that case. The negative reviews didn't help either. I honestly think that had Robert Downey Jr. starred in it as originally planned, it would have been a bigger success. Daniel Craig just isn't a box office draw outside of the Bond franchise.

Jeez, I had forgotten all about that one. People just couldn't have cared less about the concept in that case. The negative reviews didn't help either. I honestly think that had Robert Downey Jr. starred in it as originally planned, it would have been a bigger success. Daniel Craig just isn't a box office draw outside of the Bond franchise.

Yeah it's hard to make a movie called "Cowboys and Aliens" and play it completely straight/serious.

I just remember when the title came up at the end of the trailer everyone in the theater laughing.
I'd say the same thing for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Pride Prejudice and Zombies.

Having silly titles like that but having the movie be "serious" (at least from what is seen from the trailers) isn't good for business

Ron Howard is an interesting choice.

I wonder if fairy tale/fantasy attracts the big directors, and the artsy ones too, much more than superhero stuff??? So it seems

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"