Wear and Tear on a carpet when renting a room

Nell2ThaIzzay

Avenger
Reaction score
For the past 9 months or so, I've been renting a room in the house that my friend and his sisters own. They've decided to sell, and now I have to move out and find a new place.

Well, it has come to my attention that they are expecting me to pay for a carpet replacement, and I'm trying to figure out if they are justified in doing so, or if I am in the right to not pay.

There is one area of the carpet, by the bedroom door, where the carpet has become badly frayed and pulled up from the floor underneath. I was afraid that I had been responsible for this, as I live with a cat, but one day during my living here, my friend mentioned to me that the carpet had been like that and it wasn't my fault. So I am unsure if my cat did that, or if the carpet was already like that prior to moving in. I, unfortunately, did not think to take photos of my room.

The rest of the carpet I feel can be cleaned up with a simple carpet cleaning. There are small minor marks on the floor, but nothing that can't come out with a carpet cleaning.

The only precedence I have is that when I moved out of my last apartment, the carpet that I had there was left in far worse shape than the carpet I am leaving in this house, and I was fully refunded 100% of my security deposit after leaving that apartment. But it was different parties involved, in different circumstances, in different states, so I'm not sure how exactly that applies.

My friend is obviously on the side of his sisters, claiming that the state of this carpet would have me charged for a replacement anywhere, but I disagree with that, and I don't feel that the damage I've done warrants me being responsible for a full replacement.

I've googled "wear and tear", but haven't exactly gotten any conclusive answers to my situation. Is there anyone who is familiar with this sort of thing that may be able to offer up some advice, or show me where I can go to figure out if I am actually responsible for this or not?

If I AM responsible for it, I've no problem paying. But I don't want to be charged hundreds or thousands of dollars for something that I'm not responsible for.

Did you give them any type of security deposit? If you didn't I'd offer to pay at most half if it's a reasonable bill.

It's pretty standard practice for new tenants to document all damage upon move-in (with written records and, ideally, with dated/time-stamped photographs). This is meant to prevent you from being held accountable for these pre-existing damages when you move out.

Were you given this opportunity? What do the laws in your state say about this?

Without this opportunity, and without documentation on your behalf, you could well be screwed. Fair or not.

I didn't, no. And unfortunately, nothing was in writing in terms of a lease or anything either.

Lesson learned for my next rental.

If you didn't sign any kind of renters agreement then I wouldn't pay squat.

Get them to get an estimate and see if they're willing to agree to a partial payment if you feel responsible for it. I wouldn't go all the way as there is always some sort of wear and tear.

Typically speaking you need to reside at a residence for greater than a year to be charged for carpet wear and tear. That is a normal expense the landlord is supposed to expect, so you shouldn't have to pay for that unless you caused some unusual wear and tear, i.e. having a pet, smoking, excessive stains.

Please be advised though that rental laws vary from state to state, so it's best to check your state. Also, if prior damage and whatnot was not documented prior to moving in then it will be hard for you to show what damage you have caused or not caused while you resided there. I would suggest taking extensive pictures of all the carpet, so you can show the current state of the carpet and residence if needed for a court of law. If you can't take pics and you don't feel you should pay then don't. Aside from the loss of the friendship, they would have to sue you to get the money, which they likely won't do.

Yeah if you didn't take pics, it's kind of your word against theirs. And how much you value their friendship.

Next time, take pics. And get everything in writing. Email suffices for most situations, according to my lawyer friend. If you were told that you wouldn't be responsible for carpet wear and tear, definitely get that in writing/email next time.

Seriously, the best thing is a documented list of all the damage in a residence prior to moving in. Pictures are good too, but a detailed list signed off by both the renter and the landlord/manager is best. Lots of times if you insist on a thorough walk through you can often get damages fixed prior to moving in. You should do the same walk through when you move out too.

Seriously, the best thing is a documented list of all the damage in a residence prior to moving in. Pictures are good too, but a detailed list signed off by both the renter and the landlord/manager is best. Lots of times if you insist on a thorough walk through you can often get damages fixed prior to moving in. You should do the same walk through when you move out too.

Judge Judy 101 people. Everything I've learned about renting, agreements, leases, etc…I've learned from Judge Judy LOL.

Well yea I learned the hard way about not documenting and having things in writing.

Now I come to find out they want to UPGRADE the room with hard wood floors.

I told my friend that I am willing to pay for my damages to the carpet (upon moving out - which is an entirely different matter on its own that I can probably get them on if I really wanted to press it), I would agree that I did above and beyond normal wear and tear to the carpet, due to having a pet living with me in the room. I no longer dispute the damage after getting my stuff cleared out and seeing the actual state of the carpet.

But I also told him that is not a blank check for them to renovate that that room on my dime. I will pay for the damages I caused, not for them to upgrade the house.

Well yea I learned the hard way about not documenting and having things in writing.

Now I come to find out they want to UPGRADE the room with hard wood floors.

I told my friend that I am willing to pay for my damages to the carpet (upon moving out - which is an entirely different matter on its own that I can probably get them on if I really wanted to press it), I would agree that I did above and beyond normal wear and tear to the carpet, due to having a pet living with me in the room. I no longer dispute the damage after getting my stuff cleared out and seeing the actual state of the carpet.

But I also told him that is not a blank check for them to renovate that that room on my dime. I will pay for the damages I caused, not for them to upgrade the house.

You should get a quote for the carpet (replacing or cleaning or what have you) and present it to your friend. You'll have a good idea of what the price will be and it takes out the thought of them renovating being on you. Like you said, you should only cover what you know you did.

That sounds like it complicates things. If they're just going to tear out the carpet in lieu of replacing it, I don't know how you would handle a damage charge then. Since there's no repairs/replacement, there's no documented bill for you to pay for. I guess you could agree on a reasonable sum that would cover what the carpet replacement would have cost, but it does sound a little fishy on their end.

If they want to charge you to replace the carpet but aren't replacing the carpet but are changing it altogether to hardwood then your part of the bill should be minimal.

Replacing carpet in one room is not that expensive. I'd offer them $100 ($150 if you feel generous) and call it a day. The fact they are replacing the flooring with hardwood has nothing to do with the wear and tear on the carpet you caused. Don't let these people stick it to you, but be fair with them by offering a remedy that is reasonable and feasible for the actual damage you have caused.

Replacing carpet in one room is not that expensive. I'd offer them $100 ($150 if you feel generous) and call it a day. The fact they are replacing the flooring with hardwood has nothing to do with the wear and tear on the carpet you caused. Don't let these people stick it to you, but be fair with them by offering a remedy that is reasonable and feasible for the actual damage you have caused.
Yeah, I'd pitch in a bit if they were my friends, but definitely not for changing it out completely. If they want you to pay for replacing the carpet, then they should replace the carpet, instead of doing a bait-and-switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"