"Wedding Crashers" Crashes MTV Awards: Contains Spoilers***

SPIDER-MAN-ROX

Big Ugly Go-Bot
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060604/en_movies_eo/19185

It may have been hosted by one of Hollywood's hottest femmes, but the 2006 MTV Movie Awards were definitely boys' night out.

Wedding Crashers walked away the evening's biggest winner, with the blockbuster comedy taking home a leading three golden popcorns, the show's signature hardware, including Best Movie, Best On-Screen Team and Breakthrough Performance.

Owen Wilson and an absent Vince Vaughn nabbed the On-Screen Team Award, while the film's deflowered vixen, Isla Fisher, took home the nod for Breakthrough Performance.

"For some people, playing a bipolar nymphomaniac may have been a challenge, but for me, I think I just played myself," she said upon accepting the non-edible prize.

The boys from Brokeback Mountain walked away the next biggest winners, roping in two awards for their troubles, including taking home the show's highest--or at least most anticipated--honor, the signature Best Kiss award.

After the obligatory awkward double entendre introduction, for this ceremony, Justin Timberlake waxing on about the variations in meaning of the term "ranch hand job," he handed it over to the "fellas," with Jake Gyllenhaal accepting the pucker up prize on behalf on himself and absent costar Heath Ledger.

"This is a real honor, not just for me and Heath but for all of you, that you picked this movie and this kiss over all the other ones," Gyllenhaal said. "If we didn't win this award, it wasn't worth it. Now it was worth it."

Gyllenhaal also picked up the Best Performance Award, a Best Actor and Best Actress hybrid category, proving that a film snubbed by Oscar is not necessarily a film snubbed by a strong contingent of text-messaging teenage girls.

"I kinda expected the Best Kiss," he said. "I didn't expect this."

Another of the show's trademark awards, Best Fight, went to new parents Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt for their Mr. and Mrs. Smith entanglements. The Namibia-dwelling duo's award was accepted by presenters Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.

"Angelina and Brad are stuck in traffic," Farrell said. "A herd of antelope and a few elephants."

Best Hero went to Batman Begins' caped crusader Christian Bale, who used the opportunity of his acceptance speech to assert his superhero's dominance over this summer's comic book offering, Superman Returns, the cast of which presented the nod.

"Sorry, Superman, but Batman is a bad ass," he said.

Best Villain went to Hayden Christensen, for his turn as Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith.

Best Frightened Performance went to The Exorcism of Emily Rose's Jennifer Carpenter, while the nod for Sexiest Performance went to Jessica Alba, the night's hostess, for her hip-shaking Sin City seductress.

"Thanks to all the perverts who voted for me, I really appreciate it," Alba said.

After a bout of technical difficulties, the Best Comedic Performance award went to The 40-Year-Old Virgin's Steve Carell and proved to be the film's only win of the night.

The ceremony also doled out its Silver Bucket of Excellence Award to Spike Lee's 1989 socially aware film Do the Right Thing.

"The sad thing is that the issues that we tried to address with Do the Right Thing are still with us today, so how much progress have we made?" Lee said upon accepting the physically massive prize.

MTV's Generation Award, the show's equivalent of a lifetime achievement nod, went to Jim Carrey, who accepted his award from a "jealous" and "angry with delight" Will Ferrell who proclaimed that "this man's versatility makes Thomas Jefferson look like an idiot."

Carrey accepted his award by parading on stage in an all-white suit followed by a choir of singing angels. The veteran funnyman, who has been bestowed more golden popcorns than any other star in the award show's history, accepted the nod by rehashing the ease of his career, claiming he has been able to "float effortlessly on the upper edges of the Hollywood status-phere." Yes, that's status-phere. "I made up a word--that's the power I have."

The mystery and spy-themed ceremony took place at Sony Studios in Culver City with the awards themselves voted on by fans both online and via text messaging. The show, featuring performances from Christina Aguilera, Gnarls Barkley and AFI, airs June 8 on MTV.

The complete list of winners:

Best Movie: Wedding Crashers
Best Performance: Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
Best Comedic Performance: Steve Carell, The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Best On-Screen Team: Vince Vaughn & Owen Wilson, Wedding Crashers
Best Villain: Hayden Christiansen, Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith
Breakthrough Performance: Isla Fisher, Wedding Crashers
Best Hero: Christian Bale, Batman Begins
Sexiest Performance: Jessica Alba, Sin City
Best Fight: Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt, Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Best Kiss: Jake Gyllenhaal & Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
Best Frightened Performance: Jennifer Carpenter, The Exorcism of Emily Rose
mtvU Student Filmmaker Award: Joshua Caldwell (Fordham University), A Beautiful Lie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"