What Are The BEST non-superheroes that MARVEL offers ?

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
Thread 2 of 3

What are the best titles out now that don't involve SUPERHEROES ?
this thread is open for ideas, suggestions and recommendations

sorry but i consider punisher a superhero...

what else ya' got ????

Marvel doesn't publish a lot of non-superhero stuff... I guess I'd have to say Dark Tower, but Roland is a hero, and he's arguably super... Anita Blake is good, but she's arguably a super-hero in theme, even if she isn't super or heroic.

well then, is it safe to say that even though they published other subjects in the past, MARVEL is CURRENTLY a one-trick pony...

i mean one of America's greatest (IF NOT THE GREATEST) and nearly all they publish is superheroes?

Well I don't know How you see Punisher as a superhero.The max title is a great crime comic and Frank's methods aren't very heroic.Also people forget to mention Brubaker's criminal.

well then, is it safe to say that even though they published other subjects in the past, MARVEL is CURRENTLY a one-trick pony...

i mean one of America's greatest (IF NOT THE GREATEST) and nearly all they publish is superheroes?
When you're running a business, you go with the moneymakers.

At the moment Marvel are publishing a number of classic stories in comic book forms.

They generally aren't very good (trying to take something like Moby Dick and fit it into 5 issues is crazy) but maybe worth it if you have been interested about these stories but never read the books.

Punisher MAX (it's definitely not a superhero book)
Criminal
Dark Tower
Book of Lost Souls (not currently running but worth mentioning)

I remember back when they did a one-shot called the Dream Police. It was pretty damn good. I wish it became a series.

The Punisher MAX line most definitely

In the 80's it had to be GI Joe.

I definitely agree the Punisher Max is a winner here and definitely not a super hero.
For 1 he has no super powers therefore he could at best only be a hero.
and 2 he is a vigilante and he breaks pretty much every major law so he can't really be a hero. He is just a man bringing Justice to the people the law can't or won't and protecting those who cannot protect themselves. Which in part would make him seem like a hero but society would probably disagree with that.

I've never understood that double-standard about powers. Most people consider Batman a superhero, don't they?

All you need to be considered a Superhero is a costume, and extraordinary things to fight. That's it. Powers aren't a prerequisite.

What a lame thread. If you were already convinced that they don't write anything but superhero comics, then why make a thread and ask about it?

It's just stupid. :whatever:

Well, I think it's safe to say you had your viewpoint firmly in place, and were just baiting people to start an argument.

Were the other 2 (of 3) this lame?

Well, they kinda don't. I mean, the only truly non superhero books they have is Criminal and I guess those literary comics, and I suppose you could count that Anita Blake stuff. If the guy wants to check and see if he's correct in his disdain, this is the way to do it. It is kinda pathetic when you think about it though. They got the Max Line and the Icon Imprint, and they've done pretty much dick with them. You'd think they'd have at least tried to make an attempt to match DC's Vertigo and Wildstorm Select stuff in content.

My point exactly Clones.

It was a lame way to try and bait the board.

^ I didn't read all the way through the thread, and after I posted, I saw yours and thought, "Holy crap, I almost said verbatim what he said!" Great minds think alike!

Well, they kinda don't. I mean, the only truly non superhero books they have is Criminal and I guess those literary comics, and I suppose you could count that Anita Blake stuff. If the guy wants to check and see if he's correct in his disdain, this is the way to do it. It is kinda pathetic when you think about it though. They got the Max Line and the Icon Imprint, and they've done pretty much dick with them. You'd think they'd have at least tried to make an attempt to match DC's Vertigo and Wildstorm Select stuff in content.
Can't really fault them, though. They practically have a monopoly on the most profitable type of comic in the industry. Why bother struggling to compete with DC/Wildstorm in areas where DC/Wildstorm have a gigantic lead? I very much doubt we'd see stuff on the level of Scalped or DMZ or Ex Machina start coming out of Icon or MAX right away. Marvel would probably have to accept some failures for a while before hitting their stride, which doesn't make as much business sense as just pushing another X-book.

I picked up Dream Police, which I thought could have been a decent series. i also picked up that other JMS title (whose name is escaping me, about the emo guy) which wasn't that great. And let's not forget, they were doing gay cowboy stories before they were cool :O

One of the ideas I've had in the past (which actually would make even more sense now), would be something like a "Stephen King Presents:" which would be a horror anthology like the old EC comics, but more modern. You could have SK contribute in any way he wanted with story outlines, actual stories, or even just letting his name be used. He obviously loves those old EC comics, and currently has a relationship with Marvel. You would have all of those King fanatics who will buy anything he puts out which may draw some new faces into the comic shop. At the very least, it would put them in the GN section of Barnes and Nobles, and maybe they pick up something more appropriate for Johnnie. And best of all, if it works, SK has lots of writer friends. Repeat formula for "JK Rowling Presents:" 10 years ago, I would have said "Tom Clancy Presents:" (I would have loved to see TC contribute to a SHIELD series.)

I would love to see Marvel branch outside what they currently do. The medium could really be a lot more than it is. bad place, the fact that I spend $20/month alone on Star Wars comics for my bro proves that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"