What ethnicity is Bruce Wayne?

Hudson

Avenger
Reaction score
Has it ever been stated? I always thought it was Scottish or something, but maybe I am wrong :o Probably.

According to Wikipedia, Bill Finger named him after Robert Bruce, a Scottish patriot.

According to Wikipedia, Bill Finger named him after Robert Bruce, a Scottish patriot.

yeah I know which where I got the Scottish thing from, but I mean, it could be totally wrong, just because is named after someone.

There's also some type of Scottish highlander mythology behind Batman, I think. There was an Elseworlds story, I forget the name of it, but Bruce was a medieval knight and the Joker was some type of vampire.

There's also some type of Scottish highlander mythology behind Batman, I think. There was an Elseworlds story, I forget the name of it, but Bruce was a medieval knight and the Joker was some type of vampire.

Ah interesting.

Here's one of the covers from that series.

batman_knight_cover.jpg

like most people of european descent, he's a mutt :o

More interesting is the question which religion he is. Not so much what he believes (and no, being an atheist in the DC universe is a little bit stupid) but where he comes from.

I think in the Chalice (a Dennis Oneil story) he was some sort of Christian (probably Catholic). But in a more recent story Gotham County Line, he expressed a bit of skepticism. It is really hard to say. There is some website which has a catalogue of major heroes' religions, Batman was listed as some sort of Christian I think. It's rarely important I'd say.

Grant Morrison is making him a Buddhist. He's been setting it up for a while now. Back in Issue 663 (the Joker/prose issue) he mentioned a couple of different things, including Batman meditating at a crime scene. Plus there's been hints of this Thongal karma ritual, too.

Personally I hope it doesn't stick. I don't think it makes sense for somebody as self-reliant as Batman to believe in a higher power. Plus, dude's parents were killed right before his eyes, that'd shake anybody's faith.

COOL...Batman's Scottish/Irish like Me!:woot:

Batman is Scottish and Irish I think.

I'm Irish, Scottish, Polish, Lithuanian, and German. I could be Bruce Wayne.

-R

I find it amazing that I've never really wondered about this. I'm Black, American Indian, and White (Irish, German), and who the hell else knows. I used to tell people I wanted to be Bruce Wayne. We have the same initials and everything. I used to brag all the time. Then they'd always say "You can't be Batman. Batman isn't black.":csad: Little pricks.

After No Man's Land, Bruce imported the Waynesmoor family castle from Scotland to Gotham. So whatever the flavor, there is a healthy dash of Scot in the mix.

I find it amazing that I've never really wondered about this. I'm Black, American Indian, and White (Irish, German), and who the hell else knows. I used to tell people I wanted to be Bruce Wayne. We have the same initials and everything. I used to brag all the time. Then they'd always say "You can't be Batman. Batman isn't black.":csad: Little pricks.

LOL, sounds like Pot Luck. :woot:

Grant Morrison is making him a Buddhist. He's been setting it up for a while now. Back in Issue 663 (the Joker/prose issue) he mentioned a couple of different things, including Batman meditating at a crime scene. Plus there's been hints of this Thongal karma ritual, too.

Personally I hope it doesn't stick. I don't think it makes sense for somebody as self-reliant as Batman to believe in a higher power. Plus, dude's parents were killed right before his eyes, that'd shake anybody's faith.

He'd have to be stupid to not believe in a higher power, he's met the Spectre and Zauriel. Whether or not he chooses to pay heed to that higher power is the issue.

Also, Buddhism is something of an odd religion (compared to the rest of them) as it really doesn't have a deity or deities that they worship as other faiths do.

Yeah, he's probably a mix of everything. The majority of it most likely being Scotch-Irish.

He'd have to be stupid to not believe in a higher power, he's met the Spectre and Zauriel. Whether or not he chooses to pay heed to that higher power is the issue.

Also, Buddhism is something of an odd religion (compared to the rest of them) as it really doesn't have a deity or deities that they worship as other faiths do.

I completely understand what you're saying. Saying that he puts no faith into a higher power, or doesn't pay heed, is a much better way to phrase it.

But as I think about, maybe religion is something that just shouldn't be applied too rigorously to the DCU. I mean, how could anybody practice a faith that doesn't believe in the afterlife when Ollie Queen has been to heaven?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"