What happened to the darn Fletch movie?!

Huh. I like Hamm but it’s hard to see him in this. He’s good at comedy but I still see him more as a dramatic actor. Interesting choice though. Definitely not who I’d expect. I guess a lot with depend on how well he can deliver snarky one liners.

‘Confess, Fletch’: Marcia Gay Harden, Kyle MacLachlan & Roy Wood Jr. Join Cast – Deadline

The film is based on the original Gregory Mcdonald’s 1970s mystery novel series, and will stay true to the second novel Confess, Fletch. The story will follow Fletch, who finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation, one in which he is pinned as the prime suspect. While on a quest to prove his innocence, Fletch is tasked with finding his fiancée’s stolen art collection, the only inheritance she’s acquired after her father goes missing and is presumed dead.

“We look forward to bringing Fletch’s iconic character back to the big screen with a modern-day twist. While the original film has been hailed a cult classic with a strong fan base, we are showcasing Fletch through a new comedic and sophisticated lens, highlighting the nuances of his character and the intricacies of his career as an investigative journalist,” said producer Connie Tavel.

I still think Hamm is all wrong as Fletch. But the fact we’re finally getting a new Fletch movie still has me excited.

I have no real attachment to Fletch, but I am a sucker for projects that finally manage to claw their way out of development hell. And this was there for a loooooong time.

Actually, in that regard, it’s kind of wild for both this and The Last Voyage of the Demeter to be starting production in such close proximity.

I like Hamm, but I think Sudeikis would have been the better choice.
I've always thought Sudekis had the same air as a young Chevy. :up: Good call. Hamm is an odd choice that I'm not sure I understand.

I'm surprised as anyone that this is finally getting made, especially since the last Fletch movie came out over 30 years ago. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone under the age of 35 who's even heard of it. It might be more regarded today if Chevy Chase wasn't such a ***** in real life since it seems the only comedies of his that have really endured are Vacation, Christmas Vacation, and Caddyshack, with the latter being more of an ensemble comedy anyway than a vehicle for him.

I picked up the sountrack for that movie on CD for cheap loved the score and the songs from it I hope they use the themes for it too

Just curious, does Fletch differ in the novels from his movie counterpart? Because if so, then maybe Hamm is a more appropriate pick for this than we’re all assuming? Has anyone here read any of them?

Randomly wished to share my favourite Fletch joke. From Fletch Lives:

Frank: What's this here under expenses? $58 for leg waxing, that's bull****.
Fletch: Yeah but Frank, feel how smooth they are!

Just curious, does Fletch differ in the novels from his movie counterpart? Because if so, then maybe Hamm is a more appropriate pick for this than we’re all assuming? Has anyone here read any of them?

I still have the original novel (which I read years ago). And I just gave the first few pages a quick skim. Irwin Fletcher is described as slim, blond and tanned. He’s 29 (and Vietnam vet) but looks younger. So not really much like Chase or Hamm, physically. I think Chase exaggerated some of Fletch’s characteristics; but the coolness and dry humor are authentic to the novel.

I identify the character so strongly with Chevy Chase that the idea of Jon Hamm as Fletch just feels so unexciting to me.

Yeah, not impressed by that trailer. Looks somewhat fun but something feels off. I'm not sure I buy Hamm as Fletch either. I think Jason Sudeikis would have been a great choice instead

Yeah, Hamm just doesn’t sell it at all.

Very cool poster though.

It’s a Shauner will never watch kinda movie. Nobody puts Chevy in the corner.

It looks like a dud and Hamm feels like a miscast. I think Hamm is good at comedy in small roles like in Bridesmaids or that movie where he played a spy with Gal Gadot. But as the lead he just feels flat. Though maybe it’s just because this was such an iconic role for Chevy and whatever he had, Hamm doesn’t have here. Either way, I like Hamm much better in serious roles.

A pretty good RT score so far. But even the positive reviews describe it as just modestly entertaining, serviceable, etc. So probably worth a look on streaming. But maybe not worth the price of a theater ticket...? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"