What is the definitve look of the Batsuit?

Lane & Kent

Civilian
Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the definitve look of the Batsuit?

mybatmanxd9.jpg

I made a few extra modifications. The originals not mine.

Batmanlee.png

I like the lack of yellow in the emblem

I like that the gloves, boots and such are a lighter gray than the bodysuit

I like the muted yellow of the belt.

why the hell would you pick one "definitive" batsuit? there's no such thing. it's like saying one suit is more legitimate than all the rest, which is clearly not true

Because the topic is about a personal opinion on the definitive look. ;) Now i'ma go with Jim Lee's Batman suit that was already posted here. :p

There are several Batsuits that I like. I like Jim Lee's posted above but it isn't really definitive.

Because the topic is about a personal opinion on the definitive look. ;) Now i'ma go with Jim Lee's Batman suit that was already posted here. :p

Fine then. Frank Miller in Dark Knight Strikes Again, Paul Pope in Year 100, J.H. Williams in the Black Glove and Mazuchelli in Year One are my favorite costumes

Thought about that one as soon as I saw the thread title...!

I remember this being a tumultuous time for Batman comics in general which was why I stopped reading after these issues not to mention that Kelley Jones was now the regular penciller.

I still don't know why the reason for throwing out the trunks and adding gauntlet wings on his legs.

mybatmanxd9.jpg

I made a few extra modifications. The originals not mine.
Well, I like your modifications.
From the most objective point of view I could have, the definitive bat suit has to be a mix between darkness and hero, and bat. that is all.
From a more subjective view, I think it should be all black.Then, yellow oval or not, black bat or not, yellow belt or not, everything is fine for me, if the suit is all black.
I think the biggest part of the debate is around the yellow oval, that I love pretty much, btw. And I think not liking the oval because it is not realistic is pretty stupid.
In the comics, I actually enjoy the black/blue leather, but I find it unlikely in ... let's say .... down to earth approach. Nevertheless, I think artists who know how to draw batman, would be able to make him appear threatening even in yellow, purple or blue. even with a grey and blue suit, Brian bolland, ethan van Sciver, eetc, all those very dark artists are able to give an excellent depiction of the dark knight.
Personnally, I like the old blue and grey suit with the yellow oval, because it gave a kind of naivity to the character, and the more shadows you put on him the more tragic it is. so it is fine for me.
On the contrary, I see him in a all black suit because I do not see him as dark as he was those last years. I see him as a dark hero. But hero nonetheless.

As long as he has ears, a cape, sharp daggers on the side of his gloves, a utility belt, and an appropriate colour scheme I'm fine with it. There's never going to be a bat suit that lives up to my imagination, so I try to let my personal likes and dislikes go.

I just feel the bright yellow is distracting , and while some artist don't draw the yellow oval, and put a bat on the chest, the cape doesn't connect to it, and even then, you've got a bright yellow utility belt. *

However that's Batman for you, you can't change it because it wouldn't be Batman, and I accept that.

EDIT: * I forgot the underwear looks silly.

Last edited:
I remember this being a tumultuous time for Batman comics in general which was why I stopped reading after these issues not to mention that Kelley Jones was now the regular penciller.

I still don't know why the reason for throwing out the trunks and adding gauntlet wings on his legs.

well, the idea of the gauntlets on the lecks was thrown away after a few issues (because it made no sense) but i really like the overall idea of making the suit black and leaving away the trunks. at least "for me" it is how i really would like to see batman again in the comics. but that doesn't mean that i don't like the year one costume, i'm just not a big fan of the idea that many colourists make his cape and cowl blue instead of black. i can live with it, but overall, if i draw/write batman, i always make him wear his over-all black suit. it's just the suit that appeals the most to me.

and you can call me guilty, but i liked kelley jones. ^^
i always loved his dreamy/gothic style and found it very appealing to batman. but i can understand why people don't like it and thinks it's ugly... because... it... is ugly. i like it anyhow, call me crazy.

and the comics if this time era weren't too bad either. i think that the 90's "batman wears a black suit" comicbooks were pretty much underrated. detective comics got with graham nolan a tremendously good artist, and the writers of the time era were with doug moench and chuck dixon some of the best batman had in years. while i can understand that many people don't like kelley jones, i don't really understand why so many people never really liked the overall comics of the time. i like to call the 90's batman's "gothic era", because that's what it pretty much was, gothic and gothic-romantic.

edit: this cover is a little manip, btw. i've changed the color of the emblem and the belt into silver/gray. that and the overall black of the costume are pretty much my definitive batsuit. take away the guntlets on his legs, if you will.

For me, I find Alex Ross' version to be one of the best. But, like others have said, there's more than one version going all the way back to the original Kane/Finger design that could be considered "definitive". There's so many versions that it would be difficult to find any kind of concensus. It all boils down to personal preference, I would think.

To me this is the "definitive" batman. I would LOVE for the comics to adapt this suit:

batman-tim-burton.jpg

Man, I keep forgetting how awesome the '89 movie was, even if it was 20 years ago, it's still a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"