What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oMPl9vB.jpg

Ford v Ferrari

A solid sports historical drama that is essentially the equivalent of comfort food for old fashion Hollywood. What James Mangold does extremely well is let Christian Bale and Matt Dameon do what they do best. It's very much a performance driven movie rather than plot. Christian Bale has the more flashier role and it looked like he was having so much fun with it. The story gets in with how both car companies eventually go at in Le Mans and it's a pretty interesting back and forth on which one can make the better car to race. Aside from the performances, the best part about the movie are the races itself. Mangold does a great job upping the stakes at every race and when we do finally get to Le Mans, the movie goes out with a bang. The whole 3rd act is easily the best part about the movie, it's where everything fits into place. Where this fits in with the other racing movies, I do think it kinda falls short of something like Rush or Senna, where it has way more emotional stakes going into a race than Ford v Ferrari. It also falls into pretty typical sport movie tropes that we've seen countless times like the wife and the family watching the big race from home. Not to mention you do feel the length of the runtime a couple of times. Still, it's a solid movie and one of the better films of the year. It probably takes the cake of dad movie of the year.
9/10

EGpfE0F.jpg

Charlie's Angels

A pretty generic spy action film that kinda gets by on charm from the main cast. Where the 2000 film was more of a Saturday morning cartoon version of the tv show, this feels like it's trying to be Mission Impossible or Fast and Furious aimed towards the Gen Z crowd. It's the first screenplay by Elizabeth Banks (who also directs and stars) and you can tell. The plot pretty thin and it's got all the things you'd expect a movie like this to have. It almost like she went through a checklist of all the things spy action films have in common. The humor, for the most part, falls flat which is kinda shocking. Naomi Scott, Kristen Stewart, and Ella Balinska do feel like they were trying and with better material they could have something great. The action is pretty good for the most part and the locations and sets were fun to see. Overall, I didn't hate it, but this had the potential of being memorable.
5.5/10

Last edited:
0idxpv8.jpg

The Good Liar

A twisty thriller that stars Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen about deception that on paper sounds incredible, but in actuality, it takes forever to get really good. It starts out pretty promising and you get a sense of how Ian McKellen is trying to lure in Helen Mirren. After that, the film slows down and it gets pretty dull from that point on. If it weren't for the performances of Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen, those parts would have really suffered. The film also gets kinda dumb at points when you see Ian McKellen trying to get out of his money schemes. It takes until the big twist at the end (that you see coming from a mile away) for it to get actually good. The 3rd act could have been its own movie and it would have been far better than what we got here. Overall, its one of those where the trailer was more interesting than the actual movie.
6/10

Mom and Dad

A horror comedy where a mysterious signal gives parents an uncontrollable urge to kill their own children. Starring Nicholas Cage and Selma Blair as a suburban couple trying to off their small son and teenaged daughter. Probably not for everyone but I liked it.

Charlie's Angels (2019).

Shoot me, I thought this was fun, a breezy, put-your-brain-on-hold good time at the movies.

Proud Mary (2018)
Little Big Man (1970)
Lawman (1971)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2

Way behind on SchwarzeNovember. Trying to fix that since I can't fix my screwed up sleep schedule.

Last edited:
YKJ3I8V.jpg

Them That Follow

A really well put together character drama about family and how fundamental religion (in this case Pentecostals) can tear them apart. It's the kind of indie dramas I love because they take their time getting to the big showdown and as you get there you get a slice of life of these people. There's some great performances from the main cast especially Alice Englert, Walton Goggins, and Olivia Coleman. Once it get towards the 3rd act, the movie the pretty much becomes a coming of age movie and it does really work. Overall, it's worth checking out.
8.5/10

H8Arg4h.jpg

Mercy Black

Poor script writing can often derail a really good idea for a film and this is sadly one of them. It's essentially a fictional take on Slender Man and the real life stabbings that occurred only it takes place years later when they are all grown up. It's hard to buy in this story when the dialogue and some of the performances are really poor. It takes a while for anything to pick up. The scares aren't that well thought either. Daniella Pineda, who is the star and kinda trying, isn't given a whole lot to do. Once it got to the 3rd act you kinda know where it's heading and it was trying to have its cake and eat it too. Under a better director this horror movie should have really worked, but it ends up being kinda dull.
4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"