Civil War What Would It Take to BEAT BvS:Dawn of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
10592851_704300469640002_5889136092635192332_n.jpg

:lmao:

Who knows? 5 years ago, did anyone imagine a Captain America film could outgross a Spider-Man film? Because it happened this year.

Never would of thought that would happen! But to be honest good thing BvS moved. I didn't like the odds for CA 3. Batman and Superman together for the first time and "fighting" against each other makes out to be a huge hit at the BO in terms of $$$ (quality is still yet to be seen).

Namor v Black Panther with Bonafide British Actors for both roles

I'm very glad that BvS moved. I wouldn't say Marvel won (is there anything to win, really?), but Warner Bros. made the right decision here. We're getting the movie sooner, and it's now in a slot with little competition. If Captain America could make $700M+ worldwide from opening in early April, then imagine how big Batman v Superman could do a week earlier. And Captain America 3 can now be an even bigger hit and dominate May until X-Men: Apocalypse and Alice in Wonderland 2 come in.

Seeing how Turtles is beating out Guardians at the box office I think Marvel really lucked out with DC moving BvS. You really can't beat name recognition.

What the turdles are beating are IQ's 70 and under.

As for how to beat BvS? Simple. You throw in a Transformer, say Optimus Prime. Then you come up with a lame title like Cap v Prime: Dawn of Self Indulgance. People in China will trip over each other literally to find the theater that is playing that film. :up:

Last edited:
Again: talking about the Turtles "beating" GotG, *while ignoring that Guardians came out a week earlier*, is disingenuous to the point of being an outright lie. Cut it out.

You are right, I/we shouldn't say definitively anything ....but if we were all betting money....

Not betting money, just saying its not impossible. Think about this. We have Captain America 2 and a Guardians of the Galaxy movie starring Rocket Raccoon outdoing a Spider-Man film. Think about that man. Five years ago the very thought would've been absurd, now its a reality.

Also, Man of Steel did OK, but it hardly did Dark Knight/Rises style business. Captain America 2 outdid Man of Steel at the worldwide box office. Yes, Batman and Superman together adds a lot of intrigue, but look at how the box office for these films has grown over the years. Look at how Avengers boosted Iron Man 3, Cap 2, and Thor 2. Avengers 2 could do the same thing.

Last edited:
Just glad these aren't opening on the same date any more.

I honestly think it's completely impossible to beat BvS

Disagree. Superman lost alot of fans with MoS. I'll not be seeing BvS in theaters unless it's 90+ on Rotten Tomatoes weeks after release.

EDIT.... sorry, I didn't know the dates changed.

Disagree. Superman lost alot of fans with MoS. I'll not be seeing BvS in theaters unless it's 90+ on Rotten Tomatoes weeks after release.
I'm 100% certain BvS will beat Cap 3 at the box office. BvS has the potential to be the biggest film of all time.

Lol, I think it will suck. I'll have to come back in 2 years to rehash old times. :woot:

I think it's safe to say BVS is gonna be a huge movie and make some crazy money.

An utterly mediocre BvS will still probably beat Cap3. 800 m is likely the floor for this movie, and that's assuming a total disaster - highly unlikely given the gargantuan budget and the acting and writing talen involved. 1b WW is a pretty safe bet. A significant improvement over MoS could give TA a run for its money.

I don't see this movie appealing to girls and young women the way Avatar and Titanic did, so I think those records are safe.

That said, I'd be shocked if BvS isn't, by some distance, the top grosser of 2016. (Avatar 2 will make most of its money in 2017)

Last edited:
If you think BvS is going to outdo Avatar, I don't know what to say. Its laughable.

Eh, I really don't think so.
It definitely has the potential, you guys really don't know what you're talking about. The two biggest superheroes of all time coming together for the first time is a massive event. The potential to be the biggest of all time is there, especially now, when superhero movies are the hottest genre.

It's possible but not probable. Making a 2b plus prediction at this point is pretty meaningless. Doesn't even qualify as a prediction really. More like wishful thinking. "Potential" could just as easily apply to TA2 or SW7 or Avatar 2 or some film that isn't part of a franchise. Doesn't say anything.

Last edited:
An utterly mediocre BvS will still probably beat Cap3. 800 m is likely the floor for this movie, and that's assuming a total disaster - highly unlikely given the gargantuan budget and the acting and writing talen involved. 1b WW is a pretty safe bet. A significant improvement over MoS could give TA a run for its money.

I don't see this movie appealing to girls and young women the way Avatar and Titanic did, so I think those records are safe.

That said, I'd be shocked if BvS isn't, by some distance, the top grosser of 2016. (Avatar 2 will make most of its money in 2017)

I don't think Avatar has actually confirmed a 2016 release yet, though I could be wrong. But even if we assume it's mid-December like last time and the majority of it's money is made in 2017, it would still be considered money made for a 2016 release. Just look at the lists for the top grossing films of '09 and you'll see Avatar at the top with it's 700 m + domestic and 2.7 b WW.

Disney has also scheduled the SW spinoff film for mid-December so that could be an issue for Fox as well. I don't think the sequel will touch the first film anyway, so BvS is definitely the frontrunner for top grossing film in 2016, though I'm looking forward to Cap much more based on the high quality of WS and my extreme dislike for MoS.

Last edited:
If we just use TWS and MOS as our prediction for Cap 3 and BvS, I'm much more optimistic about how Cap 3 will turn out since I don't really like MOS very much, and Snyder is the director for BvS. I know that these two movies aren't going head-to-head anymore, but at this point while I'm intrigued by the idea of Batman sharing the big screen with Superman for the first time, I look forward to Cap 3 more based on my enjoyment of TWS over MOS.

How to beat it critically? By being a better movie. Simple.

How to beat it commercially? There is absolutely no chance Captain America 3 will beat BvS in the box office. Even if AoU gives Cap a huge popularity boost, it won't be nearly enough to make more money than the two biggest superheroes in history, combined. And BvS's marketing has also been superb, building much anticipation even two years before release, which adds even more to that aspect. The third Cap movie could be the best CBM in ages and it still wouldn't beat Dawn of Justice commercially.

I said almost the same thing this year about TWS and TASM2

It definitely has the potential, you guys really don't know what you're talking about. The two biggest superheroes of all time coming together for the first time is a massive event. The potential to be the biggest of all time is there, especially now, when superhero movies are the hottest genre.

I heard similar 'Its a billion easy,because its Superman' claims about MOS

well the initial few weeks of BvS will give it huge numbers but then it goes to word of mouth. if word of mouth is good, you will see big numbers sustained like with guardians of the galaxy but at a much bigger scale.

Haha, and I suppose you do, right?

Go on then, dazzle me with your box office credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"