• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Civil War What Would It Take to BEAT BvS:Dawn of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait, you'll see

.......:o

0wK.gif

I heard similar 'Its a billion easy,because its Superman' claims about MOS

I remember that the then-president of WB made a prediction that MOS will earn a billion, and he was promptly fired months after when MOS failed to get there.

Wait... CATWS made more money Worldwide than MOS... and it was only like 40 mil behind domestic. Obviously BvS will get a huge Batman boost... but if Cap gets a sufficient boost... I dunno... sounds pretty epic.

I'm not at all sure the "Batman boost" will make up for the "Its a sequel to MoS" drop.

I kinda think it will. I'm not sure, but MOS was polarizing, not really panned. Batman is a bit of a sure shot nowadays. I'd be surprised if BvS doesn't do at least a little bit better than MOS.

I think what's interesting though is that Cap3 might do significantly better than Cap2, between AoU's boost and if they carry on the Cap's Avengers rumor... that could bring a lot of eyes to the film. That would then beat BvS relatively easily. It's not WB's game to lose as I thought before.

When the 'polarizing' consists of "Half the audience thinks it was actively offensive", then yeah, I'd say its just as bad as being panned. If this were an established, popular Batman, sure, I'd easily see that overcoming it ( if nothing else, some of the offended would show up to see Batman kick Not!Superman's ass ). As is, its a new, unproven Batman take, coming not that long after an extremely popular take. Consider the precedent of TASM: a prior popular version is not a guarantee that the next version will also be popular.

Will BvS do better than MoS? I wouldn't be shocked. . . but I also wouldn't be shocked if the degree it does better is basically "inflation + expansion of the international market".

I was actively offended at the end of MOS, but I don't think half the audience was. I mean, every Transformers was polarizing as well, but for different reasons. There were a lot of offended people, but it kinda balances out. But a good point in that the next Batman take may suffer from the popularity of the previous, that's a good point.

I think what's interesting though is that Cap3 might do significantly better than Cap2, between AoU's boost and if they carry on the Cap's Avengers rumor... that could bring a lot of eyes to the film.

I think what's more important is the good will being racked up by TWS. People will continue to see is over the next couple of years and that will naturally grow the fanbase. That, another Avengers boost and if the film makers manage another film on par will see Cap have a strong shot at $300m US, and $500+ overseas.

I do not understand why anyone was offended at the end of MOS.............. I guess I have always been confused over the polarity of people's reactions to the film. I was actually more offended at the end of Avengers then MOS. It isn't even a DC or Marvel thing for me. As a nurse when there is a disaster or accident I deal with the aftermath of that and it is not funny or silly to me at all. Death is a serious matter. I felt Avengers trivialized the destruction and obvious deaths that had to have occured due to an invasion by going out to Shwarma and the other silly jokes at the end. That to me is more offensive as a human being then Superman killing because he had to and was too inexperienced to save more lives by fighting more efficiently. Maybe my viewed is skewed by working in an Emergency Room setting but...........

I do not understand why anyone was offended at the end of MOS.............. I guess I have always been confused over the polarity of people's reactions to the film. I was actually more offended at the end of Avengers then MOS. It isn't even a DC or Marvel thing for me. As a nurse when there is a disaster or accident I deal with the aftermath of that and it is not funny or silly to me at all. Death is a serious matter. I felt Avengers trivialized the destruction and obvious deaths that had to have occured due to an invasion by going out to Shwarma and the other silly jokes at the end. That to me is more offensive as a human being then Superman killing because he had to and was too inexperienced to save more lives by fighting more efficiently. Maybe my viewed is skewed by working in an Emergency Room setting but...........

Where were the silly jokes at the end of the film? Tony cracked wise, but he had just awoke from a near death state. Loki cracked a joke when confronted by the entire team, but that was it.

The shwarma scene was funny as a call back, but the team's silent meal probably wasn't substantially different from one you and your colleagues share after a particulary difficult day.

It definitely has the potential, you guys really don't know what you're talking about. The two biggest superheroes of all time coming together for the first time is a massive event. The potential to be the biggest of all time is there, especially now, when superhero movies are the hottest genre.

Did you think Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier had the potential to beat the latest Spider-Man movie at the box office? Because they did. Few probably would never have believed that before it happened.

Two biggest superheroes? Didn't realise it was Ironman vs Batman

Really though, however famous Superman is and however much he used to be one of the most popular superheroes, clearly that is fading, MoS is gonna be out grossed by GotG who i'd barely heard of 2 years ago let alone general audience.

Pretty much all the extra gross BvS will earn is because of Batman, how many people i wonder watched MoS without having seen any of the Dark Knight trilogy, very few i'd wager.

I'm sure BvS will beat Cap 3 at the box office if it's good, but i don't think it will be anywhere near A1 even if is great.

Two biggest superheroes? Didn't realise it was Ironman vs Batman

Really though, however famous Superman is and however much he used to be one of the most popular superheroes, clearly that is fading, MoS is gonna be out grossed by GotG who i'd barely heard of 2 years ago let alone general audience.

Pretty much all the extra gross BvS will earn is because of Batman, how many people i wonder watched MoS without having seen any of the Dark Knight trilogy, very few i'd wager.

I'm sure BvS will beat Cap 3 at the box office if it's good, but i don't think it will be anywhere near A1 even if is great.

I think a billion is the low for dawn of justice and that it could make more then avengers just because It is batman and superman for the first time so people are going to want to see it. Batman is the second most popular superhero behind only spider man and superman is like 3 that is going to get people to the movie. If the movie Is really good it could even maybe reach the 2 billion dollar mark. Dark knight and dark knight rises made a little over a billion and that was with no 3d and by the time this movie comes out it will have been 4 years sences dark knight rises so 4 years of inflation plus 3d plus first time having them together on the same screen. Even if cap 3 is great and dawn of justice sucks cap 3 is not going to make more. I know some people talk about how did any one think gardens would make more then spider man but spider man was coming off amazing spider man 1 and sm 3 to movies that didn't get great reception and a lot of people where agest the reboot and asm2 wasn't going to be a movie with 2 big superhero's together for the first time like dawn of justice is.

for b v. s to beat avengers, it will have to be a good movie. the avengers made a killing early but word of mouth put it into top 3 status of all time. same will have to happen with b vs. s. if they movie is crap, it won't break $1 bil.

Well... reality is offensive. What Superman did was realistic and what I, and many others, expected was the very unrealistic way heroes usually save the day in movies by finding a third option. Superman, a pioneer in this practice with a long history of it seems to be the one hero who they saw fit to be unable to escape the lesser of two evils paradigm on film. Even Batman found a third option, and he is the king of choosing the lesser of two evils. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Avengers was disjointed with the message of hope playing over the 9/11-like vigils in New York City. I wasn't offended, but I recall noting how the deaths had been so heavily downplayed, imho, all film long.

Disagree. Superman lost alot of fans with MoS. I'll not be seeing BvS in theaters unless it's 90+ on Rotten Tomatoes weeks after release.

EDIT.... sorry, I didn't know the dates changed.

Suit yourself. It gained him lots of fans among my daughter's 20 something crowd and as a Superman fan of over 1/2 century I loved it.

Cap 3 could get a huge boost if AoU performs as we all hope. There could be an IM3 situation and it is on par with the BO of it's team up film lead in. On the other hand, BvS could have an amazing marketing blitz and take advantage of the fact that people not only made MOS financially a hit in theaters but discovered it on various home video formats and much like BATMAN BEGINS, set the table for a THE DARK KNIGHT like bonanza. Or maybe... Just maybe it doesn't friggin' matter what the BO outcome is of either film and all that matters is whether or not YOU like the film. Or is that just crazy talk?

Cap 3 could get a huge boost if AoU performs as we all hope. There could be an IM3 situation and it is on par with the BO of it's team up film lead in. On the other hand, BvS could have an amazing marketing blitz and take advantage of the fact that people not only made MOS financially a hit in theaters but discovered it on various home video formats and much like BATMAN BEGINS, set the table for a THE DARK KNIGHT like bonanza. Or maybe... Just maybe it doesn't friggin' matter what the BO outcome is of either film and all that matters is whether or not YOU like the film. Or is that just crazy talk?

Crazy talk. :o

I kinda made this thread when they were on the same release date and the competition was actually relevant to the success and continued health of either franchise. Now it is kinda pointless. Still fun though, like picking a sports team. You can say it doesn't matter which team is better as long as YOU enjoy the game... but... eh... nah.

Where were the silly jokes at the end of the film? Tony cracked wise, but he had just awoke from a near death state. Loki cracked a joke when confronted by the entire team, but that was it.

The shwarma scene was funny as a call back, but the team's silent meal probably wasn't substantially different from one you and your colleagues share after a particulary difficult day.

This.

I've heard doctors and nurses joking, laughing and talking about personal stuff while I was in the ER with desperately ill friends and relatives. That's while they were on duty, tending to the sick and dying. Having had similar experiences at several hospitals I would wager that most ERs have much the same atmosphere. This idea that the Avengers were somehow reacting incorrectly or trivializing the deaths caused by the invasion by going out for a meal later is just ridiculous.

Crazy talk. :o

I kinda made this thread when they were on the same release date and the competition was actually relevant to the success and continued health of either franchise. Now it is kinda pointless. Still fun though, like picking a sports team. You can say it doesn't matter which team is better as long as YOU enjoy the game... but... eh... nah.

This is basically the Box Office Discussion thread for Cap3 (and could probably be re-titled as such) now that BvS moved. So money talk is relevant.

Well given the below facts i would say CAP 3 has about 0 to - chances of beating BvS.

1. Cap is not an A lister.
2. It took a SUPERB movie to make just 714 mil even after the Avengers (being an MCU film etc)
3. Audiences (especially in USA) are HUGELY BIASED with Batman
4. Audiences are BIASED with Superman
5. MOS made 668 mil coming off a critically panned Superman Returns & being polirized as well.
6. Batman films have the Nolan legacy
7. Batman & Superman on the same film is something fans have been asking for decades
8. Justice League vibe for BvS

Yeah nomatter how good CAP 3 is and nommater how BvS sucks BvS is ALWAYS gonna make more money at the box office.

Although im not sure why so many people predecided that BvS is gonna suck critically.
Why is that ? I dont get it.

Im pretty sure its gonna be AWESOME.

CAP 3 = 750 - 900 mil depending on quality & competition
BvS = 850 - 1250 mil depending on quality & competition

P.S. Those 2 & X-Apocalypse are the 3 movies i cant wait for 2016.

Last edited:
I don't think Robert Downey Jr. joining Captain America 3 will necessarily turn it into an unbeatable film, but it does explain why Marvel dug their heels in and refused to back off.

We need to retitle this thread. BVS isn't opening against CA3, it's opening a month ahead of time. BVS will enjoy a big weekend and a month to itself, while Marvel keeps their May slot.

Oh my God, there's a thread about this.

103875-chris-tucker-facepalm-gif-Frid-GSTI.gif

Who gives a **** about a film competing with one another, just make a damn good movie that you are making.

Now it actually has a chance. But without IM, i'd say there was no chance it would beat BvS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"