What're The Most Acclaimed Comic Book Films?

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
By Garth Franklin Sunday August 3rd 2014 02:04PM
Updated with Full Results Current As Of August 3rd 2014.
Comic book fans have always argued about which film adaptation of their favourite property is the best. You can argue box-office until the cows come home, the fact of the matter is box-office has never been an accurate judge of quality.
In fact what the general public has embraced hasn't always been what the critics have embraced, and vice versa, yet certain titles are also held up high or shat upon by all. So to add fuel to the fiery debate, I set out to tabulate some scores and see if I could find some kind of reasonably argued consensus.
To do that I combined three scores for each film using three major sites - the wide-sweeping critical countings of Rotten Tomatoes, the more selective critical assessments of Metacritic, and the open to the public IMDb user ratings.
Does it prove anything? Not really, but it has resulted in a healthy list of the best films of the comic book-to-film genre. The results contain some major surprises, I know if I were doing my own list I would make some big adjustments ("Sin City" lower, the first two "Blade" films higher, "Batman Returns" above Batman '89, etc.).
One condition was decided from the get go - RT's T-Meter score is ignored in favour of each film's 'Average Rating' by critics out of 10. Without a mixed option, the T-meter score is generally unreliable as very mixed reviews are often classified as positive - leading to many widely liked but rarely acclaimed films scoring ridiculously high. The site's average rating score from critics however has proven far more stable and consistent over time and is employed instead.
A film like "Watchmen" had a 6.2/10 RT average rating score, a 56/100 Metacritic score, and a 7.7/10 IMDb user rating. The result was worked out like so:
(6.2 x 10) + 56 + (7.7 x 10) = 195 / 3 = 65.00. This meant its final score was 65.00 out of 100.
On the rare occasion where a Metacritic score wasn't available or didn't qualify (at least ten reviews had to be counted on MC), the remaining two scores were combined and divided by two rather than three. In the cases where the final scores are equal, those with the superior combined RT & Metacritic scores are placed higher in the graphic.
Almost 200 films have been included in the study, and quite a few were knocked off from the list ("When the Wind Blows," "Sheena," "Modesty Blaise," "Brenda Starr," the "Lone Wolf and Cub" films, two versions of "Prince Valiant", several "Asterix" films, "Lucky Luke", "Tintin and the Blue Oranges") because they didn't have enough reviews on either RT or MC to qualify.
After much demand for it, some were included (eg. "Conan the Barbarian," "The Green Hornet," "The Shadow") that began life as books or radio serials but actually found success later in the comic form. Here are the results for the those that did make it:
vbC091Z.jpg

JtCrxg3.jpg

yxDhK6K.jpg

Y1n4Yps.jpg

IhrQjX1.jpg

I have to disagree with a lot of his premises. For one, the RT rating is a far more meaningful measure than the average review at RT. Sure, an ambiguous review can be rated either fresh or rotten, but its rated that way by the reviewer. You can disagree with this, but there's no ambiguity. There's also no "trying to convert a review into a 10 point rating". Plus, Metacritic *already* does "averaging the review rating", its kind of redundant to use RT to try to measure the exact same thing.

For another. . . IMDB scores? Seriously? Might as well use astrology, it will probably correlate better with reality.

IMDB scores lead to a lot of fanboyism. Seen lots of 1/10 for some of the best CBMs

I loathe IMDb. The hell hole of the internet.

I don't agree with the list but that pic you posted is nice to look at!

all i know are my favorites:

batman 89
superman the movie special edition
tmnt 1990
the rocketeer
xmen 2
the phantom
tintin
spiderman 2
ghost rider 2
fantastic four 2
avengers
watchmen

As long as Batman & Robin is the most loathed, the rest, leave to personal choice....

Superman Returns is way too high up on that list.

I have to disagree with a lot of his premises. For one, the RT rating is a far more meaningful measure than the average review at RT. Sure, an ambiguous review can be rated either fresh or rotten, but its rated that way by the reviewer. You can disagree with this, but there's no ambiguity. There's also no "trying to convert a review into a 10 point rating". Plus, Metacritic *already* does "averaging the review rating", its kind of redundant to use RT to try to measure the exact same thing.

For another. . . IMDB scores? Seriously? Might as well use astrology, it will probably correlate better with reality.

Good post.

I'd start out by saying that I don't think consensus opinions are very interesting in art, but if we do look at them I certainly agree that the very clear question "did you like the movie or not?" is a great way to go. When you want many people's opinions you want a simplicity and you want consistency.

With graded scales it's too much diversity in what each grade is seen to represent. Even among professional critics it can vary to surprising degree.

The above quote is spot on about IMDb.

I'd love to see an updated version of the pic in the OP.

Interesting list. It is what it is. Just stats. Some people are gonna be upset for not seeing their favourite movies on it. Especially because a lot of movies that are thought of as being extremely acclaimed don´t even make the top 10, which gives us a new interesting perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"