What's so bad/differnent about this?

DieSmiling

Can't Be Stopped
Reaction score
As someone who isn't familiar with the graphic novel, I was wondering if someone could explain the apparent differences between the movie and the comic, and why most fanboys seem to hate on this movie so much. I don't know much about it, but was intrigued by the cast (I like McAvoy, Jolie, and Freeman) and the trailer I saw looked cool.

The film adaptation of Wanted has stripped it of its superhero background story. Instead of taking place in a universe were all of earth's supervillains amassed into a vast army and slaughtered all the world's superheroes and then took control of everything while simultaneously making everyone forget they ever existed, Wanted is a film about evil assassins with Matrix powers.

A lot of Wanted is the same, but the reasoning behind everything has changed.

Basically the script writers wrote the movie before actully reading the comic. They seem to read the premise and adapted that before read the whole comic.

that just sucks . why didn't they bother to research this?

As someone who isn't familiar with the graphic novel, I was wondering if someone could explain the apparent differences between the movie and the comic, and why most fanboys seem to hate on this movie so much. I don't know much about it, but was intrigued by the cast (I like McAvoy, Jolie, and Freeman) and the trailer I saw looked cool.

The reason I dislike this "adaptation" is because they've stripped a unique (and by unique, I mean unique, with the main character being a super villain) comic and used a silly plot (that has been done to death) to make a summer blockbuster.

I'm not saying they could have made money and salvaged the real plot, but don't make the film at all if you can't stay true to the original, well written material.

"Kill one, save a thousand"

The real Wanted crew would kill a thousand, save one. And then kill the one, just for a laugh.

is the whole killing superheroes aspect of it really that necessary to throw into things?

is the whole killing superheroes aspect of it really that necessary to throw into things?

nope. in fact two other stories are being adapted that you might enjoy;

Snow White and the 3 Dwarfs

The Story of Moses - but this time he's liberating a nation of enslaved snowboarders from Whistler, BC

Well...seeing as it was a story about super powered villains who killed all the heroes, and would go on alternate dimension crime spree's just for fun...yeah, taking out the entire set up and everyones powers is a pretty stupid change.

Well...seeing as it was a story about super powered villains who killed all the heroes, and would go on alternate dimension crime spree's just for fun...yeah, taking out the entire set up and everyones powers is a pretty stupid change.
thank you

nope. in fact two other stories are being adapted that you might enjoy;

Snow White and the 3 Dwarfs

The Story of Moses - but this time he's liberating a nation of enslaved snowboarders from Whistler, BC
meh, you just sound bitter.

meh, you just sound bitter.

Imagine Batman but he isnt a costumed detective..he's a nutcase who beats up people with a baseball bat (hence "bat-man").

or

Spiderman: a man inspired by spiders runs around the city catching criminals with his "web" (which is a fishing net)

I must add that I am looking forward to the movie

My 2 cents...

Wanted the Comic was the most incredible Comic Book experience I ever had in my life.After reading it I felt like punching life in the face and doing/becoming whatever the hell I wanted. I suppose at heart that is the the "Super Villain" philosophy of life. The story was like the realization of a dream, have super powers, steal, have sex with whoever you want, and basically be gods. I was THRILLED that the bad guys won and all they did was have fun and kill stuff.

This movie...

While bearing the same name is completely different from the comic. It's not even a comic book movie anymore. No more Super Villain angle which was the Novel and Innovative Idea that spawned the story in the first place..."What if Super Villains won instead of Heroes" that's the whole freaking purpose behind "Wanted" and now its about assassins who what? Save the world? Ummmmm...wrong.

They just squeezed every bit of originality and cool out of the real "Wanted's" balls until they were only shadows of their former round majesty.

If you couldn't tell already. I'm not happy. :cmad:

Imagine Batman but he isnt a costumed detective..he's a nutcase who beats up people with a baseball bat (hence "bat-man").

or

Spiderman: a man inspired by spiders runs around the city catching criminals with his "web" (which is a fishing net)

I must add that I am looking forward to the movie
batman is essentially a man insanely driven to commit him self to being a vigilante based on a traumatic life experience

spidey is a man who's selfishness caused the death of a loved one and now fights crime out of guilt with no sense of satisfaction.

everything else about them can come and go, it doesn't make them who they are.

My 2 cents...

Wanted the Comic was the most incredible Comic Book experience I ever had in my life.After reading it I felt like punching life in the face and doing/becoming whatever the hell I wanted. I suppose at heart that is the the "Super Villain" philosophy of life. The story was like the realization of a dream, have super powers, steal, have sex with whoever you want, and basically be gods. I was THRILLED that the bad guys won and all they did was have fun and kill stuff.

This movie...

While bearing the same name is completely different from the comic. It's not even a comic book movie anymore. No more Super Villain angle which was the Novel and Innovative Idea that spawned the story in the first place..."What if Super Villains won instead of Heroes" that's the whole freaking purpose behind "Wanted" and now its about assassins who what? Save the world? Ummmmm...wrong.

They just squeezed every bit of originality and cool out of the real "Wanted's" balls until they were only shadows of their former round majesty.

If you couldn't tell already. I'm not happy. :cmad:
If you swap supervillains for assassins and realise that they are selling this film from the point that the assassins are good (when in fact they are reallly the bad ones), Then what is the difference?

The assassins have powers just like supervillains do and they are going about killing superheroes and civilians (although it will be unclear to the viewer till the end of the film or half way).

so looking at it from that point of view, the premise of the story remains intact, it's just some fantasy details of it have been grounded in order to not alienate people by throwing in the terms 'superheroes and supervillains', they'll all be probably added as easter eggs but not directly referred to.

If you swap supervillains for assassins and realise that they are selling this film from the point that the assassins are good (when in fact they are reallly the bad ones), Then what is the difference?

Most movies where assassins are the protagonists, the idea is that they're functioning as a necessary evil, thereby allowing some leeway in how the audience views them. The villains of Wanted the comic, are evil for the sake of being evil. Everything they do is for selfish purposes.

The assassins have powers just like supervillains do and they are going about killing superheroes and civilians (although it will be unclear to the viewer till the end of the film or half way).

so looking at it from that point of view, the premise of the story remains intact, it's just some fantasy details of it have been grounded in order to not alienate people by throwing in the terms 'superheroes and supervillains', they'll all be probably added as easter eggs but not directly referred to.

But the comic is meant to serve as a commentary on superheroes and supervillains. It's taking the idea that supervillains never win and saying, what if they did? A lot of this relies heavily on traditional superhero/villain concepts and aesthetics that are just nowhere to be found. They don't even make the slightest bit of effort to match the look of the comic. Yeah, the major characters were obviously modeled after actors, and while they weren't likely to be in the film (although Eminem was in serious consideration early on), would it have killed them to just try and have actors who matched the look of their characters in the comic? Even if you have to make them look like the character after the fact.

Hell, look at Watchmen, and how that film's shaping up. Zack Snyder's already got one impressive comic adaptation under his belt, and in general is just a good filmmaker. Obviously alienating the audience with all the superhero aspects isn't a major concern for this production. Why should it be for Wanted?

Most movies where assassins are the protagonists, the idea is that they're functioning as a necessary evil, thereby allowing some leeway in how the audience views them. The villains of Wanted the comic, are evil for the sake of being evil. Everything they do is for selfish purposes.

But the comic is meant to serve as a commentary on superheroes and supervillains. It's taking the idea that supervillains never win and saying, what if they did? A lot of this relies heavily on traditional superhero/villain concepts and aesthetics that are just nowhere to be found. They don't even make the slightest bit of effort to match the look of the comic. Yeah, the major characters were obviously modeled after actors, and while they weren't likely to be in the film (although Eminem was in serious consideration early on), would it have killed them to just try and have actors who matched the look of their characters in the comic? Even if you have to make them look like the character after the fact.

Hell, look at Watchmen, and how that film's shaping up. Zack Snyder's already got one impressive comic adaptation under his belt, and in general is just a good filmmaker. Obviously alienating the audience with all the superhero aspects isn't a major concern for this production. Why should it be for Wanted?

Bingo! The whole concept of Wanted is "WHAT IF SUPER VILLAINS WON?!" its not "WHAT IF ASSASSINS WHATEVER..."

SUPER VILLAINS.

There's a big difference between super villains and Assassins. There's absolutely NO super hero allusions in this movie thus it isn't anything like what it's supposed to be. It's basically the equivalent of making Spider-Man a secret agent. IT'S NOT THE SAME. :cmad:

Millar says the movie would never work with the super-villains beating heroes scenario. And he says its still faithful to the idea of a total loser becoming the #1 assassin.

what the difference in saying 'what if the supervillains won' and saying 'what if the bad guys won?'

supervillains come from a generic long line of bad guys, assassins, murderes, big james bond-esque villains.

narrowing the field down to only showcase it from a supervillain point makes no sense on film, you might as well broaden the horizon to look at bad guys as a whole.

again, I don't see why supervillains in particular are required to drive this film. It's not like the concept of good and evil aren't all around us and one needs specific supervillain archtypes to get the point across.

What's the difference between lex luthor and any large scale bond villain?

heck on film they are pretty much seen as one and the same.

look at star wars and the matrix, science fiction films that one could interpret of having superhero mythology yet they stick to their own views and get their point across. Both could easily be derived from a superhero/villain concept originated in comics but you get it all without the need for the costumes and code names.

bad guys and still bad guys and good guys are still good guys. Manga does this thing all the time.

Bingo! The whole concept of Wanted is "WHAT IF SUPER VILLAINS WON?!" its not "WHAT IF ASSASSINS WHATEVER..."

SUPER VILLAINS.

There's a big difference between super villains and Assassins. There's absolutely NO super hero allusions in this movie thus it isn't anything like what it's supposed to be. It's basically the equivalent of making Spider-Man a secret agent. IT'S NOT THE SAME. :cmad:

Well...a comic about supervillians winning that was turned into a movie about supervillians winning is something that hasn't been done before. We've seen tons of "from the assasin's perspective" movies...."Hitman", anyone? How was that film again? Oh yeah....sucky.

The probelm with this crap-tastic voyage of a film is, they could have called it something else, ANYTHING else, and it would have been another action flick, and there could have STILL been a "Wanted" movie. Instead, they took the first issue of the comic, and wrote out what THEY thought the rest of the bok should be like. It's supposed to be an adaption of the source material, and, as such, it is a miserable f***ing failure.

If the argument is about, "Why is it so bad to lose the superheroes/villians aspect", then the argument is over. The source material is about superheroes/villains. To NOT include the core aspect of the story is to fail at the goal of translating it from the source material. That is the pont of calling it wanted. Spider-Man isn't about an urban kid who belongs to the Spider-Gang, or it wouldn't be Spider-Man. The same rules apply here.

Could this be a good film? In some parallel universe, it may be. Somewhere, people may think that curving bullets and flipping cars off of overpasses unharmed is plausible and cool...but it'll NEVER be a good "WANTED" movie.

Ugh...why is there even a debate about that?!

The thing that turns me off about Wanted is the silly, over-the-top cartoonish action sequences. If I see a totally goofy, unbelievable CGI maneuver, it doesn't make me say "whoa, cool", it just makes me laugh at the ridiculousness. I giggled quite a bit while watching the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"