Where Are Our Manners?

Haha, I think that's likely a cause of why a lot of people have bad manners nowadays. Too many people have that "You don't like it? Too bad, deal with it" attitude :csad:

Exactly. All of those episodes of The Facts of Life that said, "Don't let anyone tell you anything different" and "Stand up for yourself" totally backfired. :word:

How are cellphones on a bus bad?

Then you should mind your own business and not pay attention.

People who complain about this stuff care too much about what other people are doing.

You're obviously very guilty of this, I can't stand when people talk on the train or bus because unless I'm listening to my iPod, I will hear your side of the conversation. There's no getting around it because the space is to small not to hear. The only time I actually answer my phone on the train or bus is if someone has tried calling for the 4th or 5th time during my 45 minutes commute home from work. Also, what really mystifies me is the people on their phones in the morning on the way to work, who the hell are they talking to that early in the morning?

You're obviously very guilty of this, I can't stand when people talk on the train or bus because unless I'm listening to my iPod, I will hear your side of the conversation. There's no getting around it because the space is to small not to hear. The only time I actually answer my phone on the train or bus is if someone has tried calling for the 4th or 5th time during my 45 minutes commute home from work. Also, what really mystifies me is the people on their phones in the morning on the way to work, who the hell are they talking to that early in the morning?

I'm not. I rarely use my phone. Even when I'm in my room with my roommates, I will leave the room and go to our floor lounge or at the end of the hall.

A train or bus aren't places for socialization. If someone is talking on the phone let them.

Do you all have problems with two people having a conversation on the bus or train? It's no different than being on the phone except you hear the entire conversation which I would think you all would hate even more.

People don't realize that you don't have to answer your phone every time it rings. I mean they will call back or leave a voicemail. People think that having a cellphone means answering every call you get.

I try to be courteous to people as much as I can be. Some folks make it awfully hard to do so, though. Too many people have a sense of entitlement a mile wide. I'll gladly give up my seat on the bus or train to an elderly person or a woman (especially a pregnant woman or an old woman). Some people don't even say thank you for such gestures, though. I once held a door open for a bit older, well dressed woman as I'm big on holding doors for people. As she started to pass through she sneered at me and actually said "Well, at least you know your place!". I was momentarily stunned but quickly snapped out of it. The sound of the heavy glass door slamming against her back and ass and knocking her to the ground in the foyer of the restaurant we were entering was like music. As I stepped over her to get into the restaurant I said "Well, at least you know your place!". Like Patrick Swayze always says "Be nice until it's time to be not nice." :up:

jag

that's just cause your submissive....lol i kid i kid

I try to be courteous to people as much as I can be. Some folks make it awfully hard to do so, though. Too many people have a sense of entitlement a mile wide. I'll gladly give up my seat on the bus or train to an elderly person or a woman (especially a pregnant woman or an old woman). Some people don't even say thank you for such gestures, though. I once held a door open for a bit older, well dressed woman as I'm big on holding doors for people. As she started to pass through she sneered at me and actually said "Well, at least you know your place!". I was momentarily stunned but quickly snapped out of it. The sound of the heavy glass door slamming against her back and ass and knocking her to the ground in the foyer of the restaurant we were entering was like music. As I stepped over her to get into the restaurant I said "Well, at least you know your place!". Like Patrick Swayze always says "Be nice until it's time to be not nice." :up:

jag

Jag you get bouns points for the Road House quote and letting the door hit her:word:

It's considered polite to wave at people, right? It seems like people are losing their sense of greeting, even small gestures such as waving. This afternoon I was at Best Buy and this older lady was looking at me so I smiled and waved and she just sneered at me. It was slightly insulting.

It's considered polite to wave at people, right? It seems like people are losing their sense of greeting, even small gestures such as waving. This afternoon I was at Best Buy and this older lady was looking at me so I smiled and waved and she just sneered at me. It was slightly insulting.

It sometimes feels like Ghostbusters 2 out here...Im just waiting for the river of slime to engulf my local art gallery:o

Most of the rude people are Teenagers :o

And I, being a Teenager can confirm this. My High School has a ban on the words like crap, ****, **** etc.

But we all walk around the hallway swearing and cursing and we rarely get caught :yay:

Most of the rude people are Teenagers :o

And I, being a Teenager can confirm this. My High School has a ban on the words like crap, ****, **** etc.

But we all walk around the hallway swearing and cursing and we rarely get caught :yay:
you were so much cooler when i thought you were older

You thought I was old?

I'm a 14 year old, Single teenager my friend :yay:

I was a Texan living in Chicago for 4 years and my manners and accent prolly got me laid more times than my looks.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

SoulManX said:
Hold doors for people.
I've been doing this as a general practice for quite some time. It's not an everyday occurence by any means, but if I see someone approaching closely, I'll usually hold the door open for them.

Give up seats.
I probably haven't done this as often as I should, and I wish I could say it was always forgetfulness. But the truth is that sometimes, you just don't want to move, especially if you're wore out. I usually move if someone's injured or elderly, but otherwise I stay put for the most part.

Let those inside the elevator exit before you enter.
I haven't run into this problem much at all, because more often than not, the elevator I'm entering is empty.

Mind your telephone manners.
I used to have a really bad habit of forgetting to give folks their messages, and it still pops up every now and then. But I'm getting better at remembering every day.

Introduce people.
If I'm with two friends who don't know each other, sometimes I'll do the intros; more often though, they wind up "beating me to the punch", as it were.

Say please, thank you, and you’re welcome.
This is one of those things that i think most people (including myself) often forget. I try to be polite to most people, but if they appear to be having a bad day or something, I just steer clear...better that than unwittingly making the situation worse.

Respect elders.
This is the hardest one for me, especially since I was raised around the attitude of "you respect me because I'm older, and i know more than you! No questions or objections, period!" Not many people ever said that directly, but their viewpoint came across loud and clear. These days, I've begun to realize that respect truly swings both ways. So, I do my best to respect others first, but if they start using the whole "chip on my shoulder" strategy, I'll go into "blunt honesty" mode. I know how to treat people decently, but some folks are just determined to be an @$$, no matter what you do, think, or say.

Handwrite thank-you notes.
Never got into the practice of this myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"