DC is no different

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Catwomen
Superman Returns
Batman and Robin
Batman Forever
Superman IV

:dry:

Im not saying DC needs to become like Marvel and push out as many movies as they can I mean who the hell wants Stardust? I just wish The Flash and Wonder Woman would get out of development hell...

When people are talking about DC not doing enough movies, they're talking aboot RECENT movies. If you decide to start counting older movies as well, then this thread would be called "Where are the movies Marvel?"

DC is no different

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Catwomen
Superman Returns
Batman and Robin
Batman Forever
Superman IV
:dry:

If you´re gonna compare DC to Marvel then at least use recent year movies

DC:
A History of Violence
Batman Begins
Catwoman
Constantine
Road to Perdition
Superman Returns
The Fountain
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
V for Vendetta

Marvel:
Blade
Blade II
Blade: Trinity
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Ghost Rider
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Hulk
The Punisher
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand

DC:
A History of Violence
Batman Begins
Catwoman
Constantine
Road to Perdition
Superman Returns
The Fountain
V for Vendetta

Marvel:
Blade
Blade II
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Ghost Rider
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Hulk
The Punisher
X-Men

Ok like I said before I want DC to focus on their superheroes but still be focused on their graphic novels. I mean i loved V for Vendetta and The Fountain. And I know ill love Watchmen...

When people are talking about DC not doing enough movies, they're talking aboot RECENT movies. If you decide to start counting older movies as well, then this thread would be called "Where are the movies Marvel?"

Word.

DC:
A History of Violence
Batman Begins
Catwoman
Constantine
Road to Perdition
Superman Returns
V for Vendetta

Marvel:
Blade
Blade II
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Ghost Rider
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Hulk
The Punisher
X-Men

Yep, and if you include what's coming out next year you get:

DC:
A History of Violence
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Catwoman
Constantine
Road to Perdition
Superman Returns
V for Vendetta

Marvel:
Blade
Blade II
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four
Ghost Rider
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Hulk
The Incredible Hulk
The Punisher
The Punisher... Again!
Iron Man
X-Men
Wolverine

Marvel has more films 2:1.

Based on Rotten tomato Ratings:

DC:

A History of Violence - 87
Batman Begins - 84
Catwoman - 10
Constantine - 45
Road to Perdition - 82
Superman Returns - 77
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - 16
V for Vendetta - 72

AVG - 59.13
Percentage of films with a "fresh*" rating - 63%

Marvel:
Blade - 54
Blade II - 55
Blade: Trinity - 27
Daredevil - 44
Elektra - 7
Fantastic Four - 29
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 35
Ghost Rider - 28
Spider-Man - 90
Spider-Man 2 - 93
Spider-Man 3 - 61
Hulk - 59
The Punisher - 28
X-Men - 80
X2: X-Men United - 87
X-Men: The Last Stand - 57

AVG - 52.19
Percentage of films with a "fresh*" rating - 31% (ouch)

*Any film with over 60% favorability is considered "fresh"

300 is a Dark Horse comic book.

They gave Batman Begins 84 and History of Violence 87 :cmad:

Because Batman Begins is the greatest comicbook movie. In my opinion.

Mine too, but 84% isn't something to scoff at regardless.

Well I really dont care because thats just the amount of people who voted for it. So its just their opinion..

The bottom line is money. WB movies haven’t met expectations they were hoping for in terms of $$$$. That’s why we’re not seeing any movies from WB. I made a post in another thread that I believe the only 2 characters will see from WB/DC are Superman and Batman. I don’t see Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash…ect…. getting their own movie until they are introduced in a JLA film. Depending on how big JLA is some characters will get spin off films based on that. Superman is their bread and butter comic character and it flopped in (terms of $$$$ expectations) so they’re going to push Wonder Woman???, The Flash????? Don’t see it happening till after JLA (If that one happens).

Road to Perdition
Production Budget: $80 million
Domestic $104mil (local +24mil)
Foreign $76mil
Worldwide $180mil

Batman Begins
Production Budget: $150 million
Domestic $205mil (local +55mil)
Foreign $166mil
Worldwide $371

Catwoman
Production Budget: $100 million
Domestic $40mil (local flop…Hell overall flop)
Foreign $42
Worldwide $82mil

Constantine
Domestic $75mil (local flop)
Foreign $155 mil
Worldwide $230mil

Superman Returns
Production Budget: $270 million
Domestic $200mil (local flop)
Foreign $191mil
Worldwide $391mil

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Distributed by Fox)
Production Budget: $78 million
Domestic $66 (local flop)
Foreign $113
Worldwide $179

V for Vendetta
Production Budget: $54 million
Domestic $70 (local +16mil)
Foreign $62
Total $132mil

A History of Violence
Production Budget $32mil
Domestic $31mil (local flop)
Foreign $29mil
Worldwide $60mil

Overall these movies made money but the only 1 to really live up to and exceed expectations money wise was Batman Begins.

(Numbers rounded up) .Info from boxofficemojo

I seriously disagree. The reason graphic novels and such have become popular is because of the relatively new availability of technology to see these visions realized in film, rather than it simple being a fad of the moment. SH/CBM's are going to be around as long as sci-fi movies or westerns and such. The newer frontier from our perspective will be their translation to live action TV but with film quality effects and writing. That's where I see SH's eventually finding a permanent home due to the medium's ability to handle serialized material. But sh movies will still be around when they get a really good idea for a story.

I completely agree, Graphic Novels are almost written to be directly translated to film. The creativity of the writers in the medium is just too awesome and vast to ignore now that the filmmaking technology is available. I can easily see Frank Miller’s The Dark Night Returns adapted in the same manner as Sin City and 300. Plus Hollywood writers are not talented enough to break the script writing and story telling paradigm that we are so accustomed to seeing in recent and past films. That’s why the movie studios are turning to comic book talents for inspiration. Hollywood has finally realized that there are a lot of very talented writers and artists in the comic book industry. It’s ironic because those very talented writers and artist were ignored and ridiculed by Hollywood for a long time. Now Hollywood is turning to those people to save the film industry.

As for the future of superheroes in films, I don’t think they will be going away anytime soon because it’s just too popular. It’s a whole new industry that finally saw the light of day thanks to recent development in technology. Not to mention the fact that there are a lot more fans out there that is highly sophisticated and always hungry for bigger and better things. It may slow down for a short time but it will come back bigger and more popular sort of like westerns.

DC films as of lately have only done decent, very few good. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Catwoman, etc flopped. History of Violence, Vendetta, Batman, etc only did moderate, and Superman Returns(which WB considered to be their top hero) was a huge let down, then I definitely see why they wouldn't be in a hurry to bring people like Lantern and Flash to the big screen.

Marvel right now is making a killing and huge numbers with movies like Spider-Man and X-Men.

Road to Perdition, LXG, A History of Violence and Stardust were published by DC imprints, but the creators retained film rights and sold them to studios other than Warners (DreamWorks, Fox, Lionsgate and Paramount respectively). I don't think the box office returns of those films will have any bearing on decisions made by Warner Bros about greenlighting DC films, especially DC superhero films which don't have much in common with the aforementioned four projects (other than perhaps LXG, but that was simply butchered in the translation).

As for WB's success with DC projects itself lately, Catwoman flopped and will hopefully serve as a reminder to them of what not to do, while most of WB's DC films thereafter have done well. Grossing 2.4X production budget is generally a very successful return that paves the way for a quick sequel (if it's a franchise film) and will yield the studio a lot of profit. Batman Begins and V for Vendetta crossed that threshold. Constantine came close to it, grossing 2.3X its budget, meaning that it yielded a good profit, but perhaps not quite enough of one to take the risk of making a sequel (although a sequel is still possible). SR, while grossing a good amount by the standards of the genre, was obviously a disappointment in terms of return on its budget.

Of the four Marvel films released in 2006/2007, X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 grossed above the 2.4X threshold, while it looks like FF 2 will gross just below it (at about the same return as Constantine) and Ghost Rider had a return (1.9X to 2.07X, depending on whether the budget was $ 110 mil or $ 120 mil, both of which have been reported) which was just mediocre.

The bottom line is money. WB movies haven’t met expectations they were hoping for in terms of $$$$. That’s why we’re not seeing any movies from WB. I made a post in another thread that I believe the only 2 characters will see from WB/DC are Superman and Batman. I don’t see Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash…ect…. getting their own movie until they are introduced in a JLA film. Depending on how big JLA is some characters will get spin off films based on that. Superman is their bread and butter comic character and it flopped in (terms of $$$$ expectations) so they’re going to push Wonder Woman???, The Flash????? Don’t see it happening till after JLA (If that one happens).

Road to Perdition
Production Budget: $80 million
Domestic $104mil (local +24mil)
Foreign $76mil
Worldwide $180mil

Batman Begins
Production Budget: $150 million
Domestic $205mil (local +55mil)
Foreign $166mil
Worldwide $371

Catwoman
Domestic $40mil (local flop…Hell overall flop)
Foreign $42
Worldwide $82mil

Constantine
Domestic $75mil (local flop)
Foreign $155 mil
Worldwide $230mil

Superman Returns
Production Budget: $270 million
Domestic $200mil (local flop)
Foreign $191mil
Worldwide $391mil

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Distributed by Fox)
Production Budget: $78 million
Domestic $66 (local flop)
Foreign $113
Worldwide $179

V for Vendetta
Production Budget: $54 million
Domestic $70 (local +16mil)
Foreign $62
Total $132mil

A History of Violence
Production Budget $32mil
Domestic $31mil (local flop)
Foreign $29mil
Worldwide $60mil

Overall these movies made money but the only 1 to really live up to and exceed expectations money wise was Batman Begins.

(Numbers rounded up) .Info from boxofficemojo
Superman Returns cost only 209 mil. to make (and thats because of taxes the real cost for Superman Returns was 184 mil which is only nine mil short of what Man of Steel will cost.) Box Office Mojo added in the production cost of the past failed lunch Superman movies (Burton, McG, Ratner, etc). Thats why I say it was not as much of a flop as people claim.

Graphic novels don't have decades of publication history, making it easier to write a script since you there is less of a mixed bag in terms of content. That being said, there probably isn't an argument between the studio execs about what the tone of the film needs to be; the likes of Road to Perdition, Constantine, A History of Violence and V for V are for mature audiences, no further questions. This has been a huge, tiresome obstacle for WB with DC, dating all the way back to when Tim Burton was kicked off the Batman series for making it "too scary for kids," and they insisted on the campy approach. Now we see this with the Flash after David S. Goyer got ousted because his vision was too dark, and the other way for GL after that Jack Black comedy rip-off floated around. So that's a big reason why there are DC properties on the screen, but not too many of them are superheroes, for graphic novels those obstacles are never in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"