Where is DC comics going?

Assassin said:
no, the right anwser is Home, so they can vist their family, Kwanzaa is Tuesday,

The Jefferson's celebrated Christmas, just because you're black doesn't mean you celebrate Kwanza you racist *******.

CBG said:
Apparently, this doesn't hold true for OYL Cassandra Cain.

true, it should be noted that Infinite Crisis was a huge let down and that the effort previous creative teams put in to cleaning up DC's continuity via the original Crisis and Zero Hour was apparently all for naught.

Dope Nose said:
true, it should be noted that Infinite Crisis was a huge let down
Why should it be noted you didn't like Infinite Crisis?

Oh.

Don't do that.

characters can't evolove that much, when thier stuck at the same age for decades. Like the simpsons or charlie brown, both great works of fiction, but even i sometimes wish charlie would kick that damn football.

Eros said:
characters can't evolove that much, when thier stuck at the same age for decades. Like the simpsons or charlie brown, both great works of fiction, but even i sometimes wish charlie would kick that damn football.
Did you even read BrianWilly's post? He addressed that matter directly. There's been plenty of characters that have aged...a solid decade over the past 20 years or so. The growth of Dick Grayson, Wally West, Arsenal, and several other of the Teen Titans shows that. It's only really Batman and Superman (and their supporting cast) that seem to remain the same. But even then they've had huge character arcs that have changed and altered their personalities and worlds over the years.

CConn said:
Did you even read BrianWilly's post? He addressed that matter directly. There's been plenty of characters that have aged...a solid decade over the past 20 years or so. The growth of Dick Grayson, Wally West, Arsenal, and several other of the Teen Titans shows that. It's only really Batman and Superman (and their supporting cast) that seem to remain the same. But even then they've had huge character arcs that have changed and altered their personalities and worlds over the years.

what are they growing for, their not get old? Buy that i mean, you can change their personalty add more to the character,bring back dead characters etc. But once you realize you can never truly take that "next step". Your left with characters that are stuck on some endless crusade, for a goal that nobody truly understands anymore. We know the routine, Batman is gonna capture joker, Joker is gonna escape and cause choas, Batman gonna come close to "killing him" but someone talks him down:whatever: Thier hasn't been a great Joker story since the death in the family or Killing Joke, because their running out of material for him and some of these other villians.

Still, age has to play a factor.

It's very likely that by the time 2050 rolls in, Batman and Superman will be, at max, in their late 30s, early 40s.

Unless another Crisis comes in and retcons their age.

Eros said:
what are they growing for, their not get old?
...Everyone has aged. Batman was 24 in Year One. He's now 38 to 40. Same with Superman. Dick Grayson aged from 12 to 25 (or so), etc, etc.

Eros said:
Buy that i mean, you can change their personalty add more to the character,bring back dead characters etc. But once you realize you can never truly take that "next step".
I'd say Dick Grayson took the next step in becoming Nightwing. Same with Wally becoming Flash. And Kyle becoming Green Lantern then Ion, etc., etc. There's plenty of instances of characters changing dramatically, dying (and even staying dead in Barry Allen's case), and certainly has had gigantic changes happen in their lives. Has Batman been replaced? Has Superman been replaced? No, but that's two characters out of thousands. For every Batman and Superman, there's a Barry Allen and Ted Kord. Their dead, they're gone, they've taken that "next step" you're so anxious to see.
Eros said:
Your left with characters that are stuck on some endless crusade, for a goal that nobody truly understands anymore. We know the routine, Batman is gonna capture joker, Joker is gonna escape and cause choas, Batman gonna come close to "killing him" but someone talks him down:whatever:
BrianWilly addressed that as well. The type of writing you want just does not take place in American superhero comics. If you don't like it, go read Manga, go read self-contained stories. American superhero comics is just never going to be that kind of narative.
Eros said:
Thier hasn't been a great Joker story since the death in the family or Killing Joke, because their running out of material for him and some of these other villians.
The Man Who Laughs.

Comics have been in shambles really since the late 1990`s,but i think DC is doing average.Seriously,i think DC will remain true to the values its been using for more than 60 years.

Eros said:
I have a question, does anybody know where Dc comicbooks in general are going? What the overall end point, the destination? I mean i sometimes get tired of the neverending fight between "Good and evil" in comic books. We know the good guy will win, Batman and superman will survive and all that crap. I just dun get whats the overall point, where does it all end? When does Batman meet his final destiny, and when does superman meet his? Why restart the justice League, it all just seems so pointless.

These characters never trully get old, they just are given new backrounds every so often. It becomes pointless, a exercise in futality. The badguys come up with a complex new shceme to destroy the good guys, and our heroes eventually stop them:whatever:. People come back from the dead [Jason Todd:whatever: ] and where forced to revisits a character whos story was suppose to end years ago. Comic books dun sell as nearly much as they use to, and who knows how long before people stop buying comic books in stores all together. Between undead characters,repetive villians,repetive heroes, and a non linear overall stories with no end, reading comics becomes pointless. Sometimes im tired of Batman trying to stop yet another nefarious joker scheme. I get tired of Lex Luthor, who doesn't really have a purpose or a goal anymore, trying to kill superman. It also makes it worse, when DC comics seems to be bringing back dumb ideas from the silver-age as well. Thats all i have to say, and maybe you agree or disagree, but really who cares anymore.
Dog, are you having an existential crisis over superhero comic books? No, don't even answer that. I think you are! Chrissake, bro, they're stories about superheroes! Do you have this kind of deep thought and struggle about Alien and Predator, or the Star Wars movies, or any other episodic, repetitive, over-and-over-again-sequeling summer blockbusters? I certainly ****ing hope not. It's cheap entertainment, it's not Shakespeare. Even most of the Morrison and Moore stuff, it's just high-grade cheap entertainment (Arkham and The Killing Joke excepted). At least it's better than Marvel's cheap entertainment.

Bottom line, it's just an escape from the daily grind, to be able to take a break from term papers, or TPS reports, and instead watch Green Arrow take down Deathstroke, or watch Batman beat up on the Ventriloquist, or watch the Justice League shut down the White Martians for the fifth time, or watch Martian Manhunter do whatever he's doing these days, did that next issue come out yet? Last I checked he wasn't doing anything that the cover was boasting he would do.

Seriously, man, when you want comics with a point, read Sandman or Lucifer or Preacher or even Hellblazer or the Dreaming. But when you want cheap entertainment that's fun as hell, keep reading superhero comics.

Oh, and a good Joker story? Try Devil's Advocate or Man Who Laughs.

Darthphere said:
The Jefferson's celebrated Christmas, just because you're black doesn't mean you celebrate Kwanza you racist *******.

You mentoned the jeffersons and black people, read my last 2 posts on this page ******.

This is kinda funny, we all want change and stuff like that, but when change comes everyone wants it to go back to the Status Quo.

Someone around here had a signature that said something like, "We don't hate change, we hate bad change." That person should wrap that quote around his fist and punch you with it.

And that is why i love Leaguer.

The Leaguer said:
Someone around here had a signature that said something like, "We don't hate change, we hate bad change." That person should wrap that quote around his fist and punch you with it.

Sometimes Bad Changes take time to become good.

You think everyone liked Crippled Babs Gordon right away?

Hell, There are still people that want her back as Batgirl

Eros said:
Or stop listening to Lucy,............

Assassin said:
You mentoned the jeffersons and black people, read my last 2 posts on this page ******.

You make no sense, but hence, you never do, so why should this time be any different.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
The fact of the matter is, it doesn't end. Not so long as there are people reading the books. And does that have to be a bad thing?

This is the nature of the medium. Things are always in a state of flux, and there is never any real, definitive end in sight (at least not from our point of view).

Comic books will probably be around in some form or another for generations to come, and even when they eventually die out, the characters will likely still exist in some form or another.

It's an endless cycle. At some point in the future, DC will probably reboot their universe again, and it's a fair bet that eventually Marvel will do it as well. It's just the way these things work.

They sorta just got through with a semi reboot... the results of which are mixed! It's caused me to drop a couple of titles for sure! Meanwhile, pinning for what the books WERE prior to IC. :(

cerealkiller182 said:
I just wish the writers had the balls to make decisions and stick with them. Why is the Flash the only hero with a true legacy? I would say he is a tentpole character in the DC universe; no Supes or Bats though. Batman's sidekicks are suppose to have a family bond and they are constantly talking about one day taking over for Bruce, so why dont they? The writers are scared ****less thats why.

Its not like bad stuff hasnt happened to heroes. Barbara was paralysed (a plotpoint that doesnt seemed to be retconing) and there have been a lot of deaths lately, but they prolly wont stick.

WOW! Bat-Blashemy! You are on the opposite side of %99.99 of people who don't want to see Batman die or be gone...I'll take "Silver Age rewrites" over "No Bruce Wayne" any day!

CConn said:
Oh.

Don't do that.

you're right, I should have expressly stated that it was my simply my opinion that IC was a disappointment. I just hate that they've taken to explaining every continuity error with 'Superboy Prime punched reality', if they even bother to acknowledge the error at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"