• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman Returns Where's the "Type Cast" talk

afan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Many threads and posts, pre-release of SR, focused on the potential type casting of Routh as the Man of Steel, and yet as far as I can tell that topic of discussion has vanished. Have I just missed the discussions or if in fact it has become a moot point, why so?

The movie was mediocre and underperformed so not that many people give a crap about Routh anyway = no typecasting yet.

Also there has been no other movie with him since -> time will tell.

Besides the dissapointing movie and very dissapointing box office, Routh will never be known as Superman. Ask 100 people and 99 will say Christopher Reeve is Superman. You can't be typecast to a roll that isn't really yours.

However, I thought Routh was the only good thing in the movie, but he'll always be Superman light.

afan said:
Many threads and posts, pre-release of SR, focused on the potential type casting of Routh as the Man of Steel, and yet as far as I can tell that topic of discussion has vanished. Have I just missed the discussions or if in fact it has become a moot point, why so?

Alot of people have a hard time buying into him being SUPERMAN now so I doubt he will be type cast.

Kid_Kaos said:
The movie was mediocre and underperformed so not that many people give a crap about Routh anyway = no typecasting yet.

Also there has been no other movie with him since -> time will tell.

co sign

Its because Routh is adored by the ladies and they see him as Routh. Whereas Chris Reeve while respected by everyone wasn't the heart-throb that Routh appears to be. Literally every girl that I know that has seen Routh says he's unreal hotness. And look at his imdb messageboard and its full of lovers and no haters. You look at all the big name actors and they have at least 30% hate on their imdb boards. Routh is universally adored, so the fans are following his private life a lot and therefore don't see him just as Superman.

when Routh starts garnering other major film roles besides SR, then you can say he hasn't been typecast. It's much too early to tell if that kind of thing happened or not.

hypeSUPERMAN said:
Its because Routh is adored by the ladies and they see him as Routh. Whereas Chris Reeve while respected by everyone wasn't the heart-throb that Routh appears to be. Literally every girl that I know that has seen Routh says he's unreal hotness. And look at his imdb messageboard and its full of lovers and no haters. You look at all the big name actors and they have at least 30% hate on their imdb boards. Routh is universally adored, so the fans are following his private life a lot and therefore don't see him just as Superman.

:confused: Ever wander off of BR.com much?

It's just waay to early to tell if Routh is going to be type casted . I mean he really didn't have alot of roles before SR and post SR there still isn't alot heard from him.
But i don't think that he'll be type casted if he does try to be a better actor by going indie and/or try a variety of different roles.
If it worked with Hugh Jackman , NOT to be type casted as Wolverine , it can work for him too.
But thehe wants to do Rom Com's which is a bit scary :oldrazz:

Also the fact that people are normally associating Chris Reeves with Superman and not Routh is because Reeves has been Superman known as Superman since 1978. That's like 28 years as opposed to Routh's few months of Superman.
What Routh also has to deal with is the fact that he isn't the first Superman in the movies. Everybody knows Tobey Maguire as Spiderman or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine because they were the first actors to portray the roles in the movies.
And they portrayed it well. So who ever is going to be the new spiderman or the new wolverine should the time come when these roles will need to be recasted , is going to have a hard time. That's exactly what Routh is facing now. Reeves did an excellent job in the superman movies .
Going back to the 28 years of people knowing Reeves as Superman ; in many ways Reeves was the superman of the '70 generation. People liked him soo much that they "spread the word" of how great he was.
Routh will , hopefully with far better superman movies post -SR , this generation's Superman. And if he dooes fulfil that role well that i could see "use spreading the word " of how great he is.
Heck we are doing that with Christian Bale as Batman now ..right :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"