Days of Future Past Which Beast do you prefer? Kelsey Grammer's Classic Beast or Nicholas Hoult's Cat?

Alexei Belyakov

Sidekick
Reaction score
Brought this over from the other thread. Which of the two do you prefer?

b80msy.jpg

For me, the guy up top is Beast. He's the Beast I grew up reading (in the 80s) and the Beast that we all love and remember from the show. While I'm sure today's teens probably don't remember the Classic version of the character, I still doubt they're more familiar with Cassaday's take on him.

Classic Beast emanated wisdom and amiability even with his monstruous physique and ferocious qualities. Vaughn's Beast just looks scary.

I may prefer "classic" Beast, but that doesn't mean I like the way he looks in The Last Stand. I much prefer the color variation and attention to detail of Hoult's Beast.

Classic or car I'm fine with either look for Beast. But from a film/make-up stand point, First Class Beast really highlights the laziness the make-up in The Last Stand.

Not sure which one I like. I think this will come down to more of how the actor portrays him. Personally, I thought Kelsy Grammer did a real good job.

Need to see more of the FC one really before I could make a proper judgement.

Off of looks, classic Beast. I think new Beast would look pretty good if he didn't have yellow cat eyes. Those are really distracting in that pic.

Need to see more of the FC one really before I could make a proper judgement.

True, but appearance wise, Cat Beast looks cooler. X3's Beast looks like a hairy blue man but FC's Beast looks like an actual Beast. Both are comic accurate but FC Beast looks better.

I like both of them, but I think by a hair, the classic wins. There is just something about it.

As far as i notice, they gave him more fur and a line down his upper lip. And yellow eyes.. They look basically the same.

Neither are perfect to me but the top pic is THE very best pic I've seen of Kelsey Grammer as Beast (some other pics are nowhere near as good) while the other is the only one I've seen of Nicholas Hoult's Beast. So really I'll wait till I've seen more of the new one before I can say anything definitively.

Edit: for the record I am a big fan of Classic Beast from the comics & much less so of Cat Beast. Also a massive fan of Kelsey Grammer as Beast. I just think the 'costume' they gave him looked like a human with blue skin, long blue hair & a long blue beard.

Last edited:
I think both versions look great. Kelsey Grammer's performance as Beast in TLS was awesome, it was truly inspired casting :woot:. I won't judge Nicholas Hoult's performance until I see First Class.

I've always hated Feline Beast. I hate the ilogical infantile reason why he was turned into a cat. It's wasn't only a bad idea it was poor writing, just plain bad storytelling. I think it's a shame that they are now bringing that horrible mistake into the movie-verse.
Of course I do agree with the comments about the makeup quality.
Even though Xmen3's Beast was more like the best liked blue ape form they makeup & FX did not have the attention to detail that they seem to have dedicated to this newer version.. I still hate the blue cat though

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the X3 version is better. I never liked cat beast.

EDIT: Actually the only thing I don't like about Holut's Beast is the mouth. I hin it would be better with a normal mouth.

Last edited:
Grammar's Beast.

Thus far, Hoult's looks like a kitten. And maybe that's the point, but...

Kelsey by a mile. FAR better. Not even close. Best part of X3.

I think the options aren't clear.

For one, I love ape Beast and I love cat Beast. Yet I don't see how Kelsey looks like ape Beast, or how Hoult looks like cat Beast.

The poll should have simply asked which theatrical version of Beast do you prefer. And, in my honest opinion the make-up work done for First Class destroys the make-up work done in The Last Stand by a long shot.

I think the options aren't clear.

For one, I love ape Beast and I love cat Beast. Yet I don't see how Kelsey looks like ape Beast, or how Hoult looks like cat Beast.

The poll should have simply asked which theatrical version of Beast do you prefer. And, in my honest opinion the make-up work done for First Class destroys the make-up work done in The Last Stand by a long shot.

To me Grammar was a perfect beast. I agree the makup could have used some improvement but he was so dead on the character to me that it didn't matter. There wasn't much to like about X3 but he was one of them. Its more how he came off on screen than how he looked.

I prefer the "ape" beast honestly. I'm not a big fan of the cat look.

What about the Wolfman Beast we saw in that leaked photo...

I'm biased because I prefer ape-beast, and Grammar was very much how I always thought Beast should sound like, which was great. And unfair on Hoult because we haven't even heard him speak yet. I do like his human 'look', he looks both cool and nerdy if you know what I mean.

So so far, X3 beast, but which loses points because of bad make-up.

Beast has always been one of my favorite Marvel characters. So as far as which one do I prefer? It's tough to say but I'll need to see more of the FC performance before I can judge.

My only gripe with Beast in X3 that his genius intellect wasn't explored enough and we didn't see him in his natural element. I wanted to see him in a lab mixing chemicals, reading a novel, teaching a class, or making some updates to the Danger Room.

Here's hoping we get some of that in First Class.

i'm more partial to the classic Beast because it's the Beast i grew up with back in the 90s (animated series, Jim Lee's work)

but the cat look is not bad. looks like the Beast from the Astonoshing X-Men

but in the end, it's all in the performance. one of the only good things about X3 was Kelsey Grammer. he gave an excellent performance and it's a shame he was not brought in for previous films. it was perfect casting IMO.

Remove the funny nose from Hoult's Beast, give him a normal nose, the darker blue of Blue Fraiser and more/longer fur and it's perfect.

Kelsey had the best Beast voice I've heard though.

Kelsey Grammar is the perfect Beast in just voice alone and I thought he looked pretty fantastic in X3 but I'm really curious as to how they'll do Beast in this one. Just from the trailer alone it looks like he'll be a bit more scientific. As for the looks I gotta go with cat beast, just looks different and is pretty sweet.

Classic Beast. But I just choose to believe he still goes through mutation as he gets older leading us to XLS Beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"