Which superhero story origin structure do you prefer? Chronological or flashbacks?

I hope the new Superman movie does the flashback approach . It works really well if the audience is familiar with the character . I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other though

In my opinion, telling the origin of a superhero chronologically provides for better storytelling opportunities. It is definitely the more classic route to go. I seem to feel that the more memorable origins have been presented in this way.

Flashbacks, in my honest opinion, are really only necessary for reboots unless there is going to be a new sense of direction. Or with Batman...it'd be necessary too because Bruce was a child when his origin occurred. Therefore, his story can be told more effectively through flashbacks.

It can go either way but chronological origins feel like better cinema. To bring up flashbacks again, it really depends how it is approached and executed. Flashbacks are more likely to seem choppy, rushed, or executed poorly.

In my opinion, telling the origin of a superhero chronologically provides for better storytelling opportunities. It is definitely the more classic route to go. I seem to feel that the more memorable origins have been presented in this way.

Flashbacks, in my honest opinion, are really only necessary for reboots unless there is going to be a new sense of direction. Or with Batman...it'd be necessary too because Bruce was a child when his origin occurred. Therefore, his story can be told more effectively through flashbacks.

It can go either way but chronological origins feel like better cinema. To bring up flashbacks again, it really depends how it is approached and executed. Flashbacks are more likely to seem choppy, rushed, or executed poorly.

EDIT...Double Post? Really?!

Well I think Batman Begins had the perfect mix of both.

Start in the middle. Not yet a hero, but not telling the story from childhood onwards strictly.

I mean, if they did that with Superman it'd be great. Start it off with him finding himself around the world. Have flashbacks to his origins, but only in so far as they help explain why he makes the decision to become Superman in the first place.

Spiderman on the other hand, i'd love to see BEGIN with the death of his parents, instead of it only being referenced.

I prefer a mix. We see them on their final point of their journey becoming the hero with flashbacks to important points in their earlier lives - like Daredevil, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Batman Begins.

In general I prefer the chronological structure but I think flashbacks are fine too and a decent compromise for the people who always complain about origin films. Though if the series is a reboot I would prefer flashbacks since there's not much too be gained by going too much in-depth with the story that was already told not too long ago. Superman's an exception to this rule, since the original origin film took place so long ago that a chronological one today has a lot more opportunities to be different.

I have to disagree with everyone saying Batman Begins origin was a flashback, we started with him still on his way to becoming Batman, heck he didn't even have the idea for Batman yet. Sure there were flashbacks, but that was really just showing the motivation. His training with Ra's Al Ghul and working with Lucius and Alfred on creating the suit, that's the origin and it was shown in "present time", not in flashback.

It depends on the approach and tone actually. Batman has been done both ways wonderfully.

Gotta go with chronological.

The trouble with superhero films is that they are made to essentially broaden the appeal of a genre character or characters. Yes, the studios want to appease the hardcore fans, but at the end of the day, they also understand that they need to turn a profit and make the film appealing to a wide audience. And I have no problem with this. If it means I never get to see Batman in his classic blue & grey costume onscreen or I Spider-Man never has his man-made webshooters, then so be it. These films need to be audience accessible so that people don't just view them as a "geek thing."

And the best way to tell a story that you're trying to make easier for a wide audience to understand and be immersed in is to start a the beginning. Take, for example, Batman Begins and Tim Burton's Batman. Both are solid movies and were big hits. But one of the major complaints about the Burton film was that it was a movie about the Joker. Granted, a lot of that has to do with the fact that they gave Jack Nicholson so much screentime. But also, they made Batman the mystery, while giving us the story of the Joker chronologically. It's an interesting technique but I think it was really detrimental to the film. Batman should not be the mystery because the movie should be ABOUT Batman. It shouldn't be about a bunch of people trying to figure him out. That's why Batman Begins works so well because it takes us back to Bruce Wayne as he creates the Batman persona, instead of never even addressing why he chose the mantle of the bat besides his parents getting plugged in an alleyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"