Comics Which comic writers and artists have had the most impact?

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
For better or for worse, which creators have had the most influence in shaping the Spider-Man (as a character) that we know today? Dont list your favorites, just explain the one's that you think have made significant contributions to Peter Parker.

Artists:
Gotta be Mark Bagley and Todd McFarlane. Todd's "spaghetti webbing" and Mark's big eyes on the costume have become fairly mainstream. Some still give Spidey the narrow eyed look that Steve Ditko drew him with, but his eyes are still wider now than they were in 1962.

Writers:
My choices are Straczynski and DeMatties. DeMatties gave Peter, the supporting cast and the villains more back story and emotional depth than anyone else I can think of. Like it or not, Straczynski's "Totem Saga" has made a huge impact on the stories for the past ten years. Even though he has been off of the books for a few years now, the totem idea has been used or referenced in stories like Grim Hunt.

Most influential writers:
I have to add Gerry Conway, clones took a real large toll on the character. Punisher was given his own title due to him. The Jackal, Hammerhead, Tombstone had a lot to do with Punisher and DareDevil

As far as comedy and Peter being closer to real life than Stan's editor wanted, I have to add Stan Lee. Spider-Man is still Marvel's pillar of swashbuckling comedian heroes, even with the human level of whining (not as high as I see people describe)

Artists:
Ditko deserves to be given that for creating one of the most iconic superhero costumes ever, Deadpool's costume parodies Spider-Man
John Romita sr drew the designs many artist follow for characters and costumes

Unfairly perhaps, I was at first loathe to put Straczynski as a top-tier influential writer, due to the fact I've only read on and off since he came aboard and generally disliked what he did to the character. But you're probably right, chief reason being he was the co-creator behind stuff like 'One More Day' which completely changed the history of Spidey. The other stuff he did like 'The Other', 'Sins Past' and the unmasking don't matter much in the long run, because they're retconned, forgotten or just have little lasting impact. But 'One More Day'.... yeah. And he may quibble about not having creative control over that arc, but that's about the story particulars, not the end-result, which would have been an even farther reaching retcon of Spidey's history if he had his way (Gwen would be alive for instance).

For actual influential writers I like... JM DeMatteis, Roger Stern, Tom DeFalco, David Michelinie, Gerry Conway and Stan Lee (of course) were all incredibly instrumental in the evolution of Spider-Man. They didn't just write stories, they controlled the direction of the character. Todd McFarlane and Howard Mackie too I guess, but I don't care for them or their direction. And yes, JMS for reasons already stated.

As for artists, in no particular order.... Mark Bagley, Todd McFarlane, John Romita Jr and Sr, Sal Buscema and of course, Steve Ditko.

Artists:
Gotta be Mark Bagley and Todd McFarlane. Todd's "spaghetti webbing" and Mark's big eyes on the costume have become fairly mainstream. Some still give Spidey the narrow eyed look that Steve Ditko drew him with, but his eyes are still wider now than they were in 1962.
I think the big eyes was Todd McFarlane's idea. He was earlier on Spider-Man than Bagley.

Writers:
My choices are Straczynski and DeMatties. DeMatties gave Peter, the supporting cast and the villains more back story and emotional depth than anyone else I can think of. Like it or not, Straczynski's "Totem Saga" has made a huge impact on the stories for the past ten years. Even though he has been off of the books for a few years now, the totem idea has been used or referenced in stories like Grim Hunt.
Because one or two stories today I wouldn't put JMS in this list. Especially before Stan Lee.
DeMatteis yes, he was great. Howard Mackie, Roger Stern, Tom DeFalco and David Micheline or Peter David.

The biggest artistic influence was definely John Romta Sr. You can see his influence by looking at everyone who followed him for the next twenty years. In between Romita Sr and Todd MacFarlane, everyone more or less copied the Romita Sr style (as MacFarlane him self has pointed out).

Writers:
Stan Lee - well, for obvious reasons. He told such fantastic Spider-Man stories about how Peter Parker can lead a double life and have real life problems. Stan's a legend. DeMatties, Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, Gerry Conway and JMS (aside from Sins Past) have all had a huge impact, if you ask me. Gerry was the one who decided to kil off Gwen as well as create the punisher, which was 2 milestone things in comics. Howard Mackie, and David Micheline have also had a big impact, if you ask me. Micheline created Venom, which, obviously, was huge.

Artists:
Steve Ditko - his unique style really is unlike anybody elses. He's one of the reasons Spider-Man was such a success.
John Romita Sr. - An incredible artist who over time brought his own flare to Amazing Spider-Man and his work was repliccated for a while after he left by artists such as Ross Andru and Gil Kane.

John ROmita Jr. - Like father like son, his work was fantastic. His work stood out the most in "Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut". Since then, his work has really bewcome brilliant and he reamins one of my favorite atists along with Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr.

Todd Mcfarlane - I know some people may disagree, but I love what he brought to Spider-Man. It was, once again, a unique style. I was a fan of the way he drew SPidey specifcally.

Makr Bagley - I like his work mostly from the early 90's, but not so much on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sal Buscema - His work on Peter Parker, The SPectacular SPider-Man is some of my favorites, tbh. I also specifically loved how he drew the Green Goblin, especially in the "death of Harry osborn" days. He remains on my top 5 favorite artists list.

I want JMS to stay away from the Marvel Universe....

:yay:

I want JMS to come back to Marvel for 4 issues:
What If: Spider-Man: One More Day & Beyond
Part one would be a condensed version of all 4 parts of OMD.
the other 3 - how it would've played out, in his mind... unaltered and no editorial interfering.
also a 2 Part:
What If: Spider-Man: Sins Past
wherein its revealed that Peter IS Gabe and Sarah's father and how it would've played out...

:barf:

Considering comic books have sold like non-alcoholic beer in the past decade, and none of his changes stuck, I'd say JMS is one of the LEAST impactful of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"