Comics Venom would not exist if not for...

Konee Rok

Civilian
Reaction score
Who?

Controversy over creator credit

Todd McFarlane's Venom (1989).

Writer David Michelinie and artist Todd McFarlane are generally credited with the character's creation, based on a number of plot ideas and concepts from various other creators, though the degree to which McFarlane should be credited with co-creating the character has been a source of dispute in the comic book industry. Venom's existence was first indicated in Web of Spider-Man #18 (September 1986), when he shoved Peter Parker in front of a subway train without his spider-sense warning him, disturbing Peter a great deal, though only Eddie's hand was on-panel. Another hint was given in Web of Spider-Man #24 (March 1987), when Peter Parker had climbed out of a high story window to change and go into action but found a black arm coming through the window and grabbing him, despite his spider-sense not warning him. He then made a partial appearance on the final page of The Amazing Spider-Man #298, in which he was obscured by shadow, before making his first full appearance on the final page of #299 (May 1988).
The question of who created the character of Venom became an issue of contention in 1993 when writer David Michelinie wrote in to the comic book industry magazine Wizard, which had referred to Michelinie in issue #17 (January 1993) as the "co-creator" of Venom. In his letter, which was printed in issue #21 (May 1993), Michelinie contended, despite his praise of McFarlane, without whom he conceded the character would not have attained the popularity that it did, that he was the sole creator of the character. Michelinie pointed out that Venom's earliest appearances were in Web of Spider-Man #18 (Sept. 1986), written by Michelinie and drawn by Marc Silvestri; and Web of Spider-Man #24, plotted by Michelinie, scripted by Len Kaminski, and drawn by Del Barras.
The character would remain unseen and inactive until Amazing Spider-Man editor Jim Salicrup required a villain for that book’s 300th issue, and after Michelinie suggested the female-symbiote character, Salicrup changed the character to a male. Michelinie then devised the Eddie Brock identity. Michelinie contends that the plots for issues #298-299, as well as the visual descriptions of the character, were written and brought by Salicrup before McFarlane was ever assigned to the book.
Writer Peter David corroborated Michelinie’s view in his But I Digress column in the June 4th, 1993 Comics Buyer's Guide, in which he related that Michelinie discussed the ideas behind the character with David at the time of its creation. At the time, David was the writer on The Spectacular Spider-Man who wrote the Sin Eater story from which Eddie Brock’s back story would be derived, long before McFarlane was assigned to the art duties on Amazing. Because artists who design the costumes or appearances of major characters and/or illustrate their first appearances are generally credited as the co-creators of them, Venom represents a complex situation, because the costume from which Venom's appearance is derived was not designed by McFarlane, and the only aspect of Venom’s appearance to which McFarlane contributed was giving the character an evil looking mouth.
Erik Larsen, who followed McFarlane as artist on Amazing, and who added the pointy teeth and tongue as well as the green drool to Venom's appearance (and who would go on to found Image Comics with McFarlane), responded to Michelinie's letter with one of his own that was printed in Wizard #23 (July 1993), in which he dismissed Michelinie's contributions to the character, arguing that Michelinie merely "swiped" the pre-existing symbiote and its powers to place it on a character whose motivations were poorly conceived, one-dimensional, unbelievable, and clichéd. Larsen also argued that it was McFarlane’s rendition of the character that made it sellable.
The pre-existing elements that dealt with the symbiote alien costume itself - to which Michelinie did not contribute - have also been noted. For example, editor Jim Shooter came up with the idea of switching Spider-Man to a black-and-white costume, possibly influenced by the intended costume design for the new Spider-Woman. Artists Mike Zeck and Rick Leonardi, as well as others, designed the black-and-white costume. Writer/artist John Byrne asserts on his website that the idea for a costume made of self-healing biological material was one he originated when he was the artist on Iron Fist to explain how that character’s costume was constantly being torn and then apparently repaired by the next issue, explaining that he ended up not using the idea on that title, but that Roger Stern later asked him if he could use the idea for Spider-Man's alien costume. Stern in turn plotted the issue in which the costume first appeared but then moved on and it was writer Tom DeFalco and artist Ron Frenz who had established that the costume was a sentient alien being and also that it was vulnerable to high sonic energy during their run on The Amazing Spider-Man that preceded Michelinie's. Regardless, Peter David's position is that Michelinie is the sole creator, since the idea of creating a separate character using the alien symbiote was Michelinie’s, as was Eddie Brock's backstory, and that without the idea to create such a character, the character would not have existed.
It is perhaps not coincidental that this dispute arose at a time when artists such as McFarlane and Larsen were enjoying a great deal of popularity and clout with readers, and exploiting their popularity by publishing creator-owned books with their new company Image Comics, and it is possible that this issue was a subtext of the greater debate over the importance of writers versus artists that was being waged in the industry at the time. It should be noted that during the time which Todd McFarlane was producing artwork for Marvel, the comics giant advertised the character as a creation of McFarlane's, and Michelinie had no opposition to sharing credit as co-creator. It was not until McFarlane's departure from Marvel that any controversy began arise from the Amazing Spider-Man creative team. Furthermore, most point to the decline of Venom's character in the early 90s, after McFarlane had left Marvel, as indication that he had some creative input into the character. Whereas the Spawn character walked a similar line of psychopathology and heroism successfully for the first few years of release, Venom's character only grew more convoluted with each subsequent story that he was featured in.
In any case, Venom was created under a work-for-hire contract, and Marvel owns all rights to the character. Anyone could be the creator of Venom...even QUOC!
Source: But I Digress by Peter David; 1994; pages 104-106; Reprinted from the June 4, 1993 Comics Buyer’s Guide
Source: http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=7&T1=Miscellaneous+Questions#96
Source: Correspondence with Peter David.
Source: Wizard #21 (May 1993)
Source: Wizard #23 (July 1993)

Peace,
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

Interesting; the character does have McFarlane written all over it...

Well I personally think all three- Michelinie, McFarlane and Venom are extremely over-rated had did far more damage to the character of Spider-Man than few others.

Dragon said:
Well I personally think all three- Michelinie, McFarlane and Venom are extremely over-rated had did far more damage to the character of Spider-Man than few others.

Joe Quesada has done the most damage to Spider-man overall. Second is the Grizzly.

This has nothing to do with the film. There should be a rule banning noobs from starting threads for a period. It would cut down on all these repettive or useless threads.

Actually I think this does relate to the film.

Who created the character that is most talked about to appear in SP3?
This article talks in detail as to how and why Venom was created.

In this section we talk about plot outlines, formation of character and backstories. This article addresses those topics.

Also, the reason I looked this up was because I was wondering who would get royalties for the use of Venom in the movie and whether or not hey had a say in his portryal.
If Todd McFarlane,for example, happened to be referenced for insight into Venom then that would affect this films outcome. It is certainly possible.

Concidering it is controversial that Raimi has taken on this character after proclaiming a distaste for him, I think the more we understand about Venom as a whole the better we can anticipate how and why he will appear in the new film.

Plus, original topics that cox thought bring life blood into this board.

I think people that waste posts by talking about "newbies" are making the boards far worse then the people that are actually creating discussion.

Peace
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

Konee Rok said:
Actually I think this does relate to the film.

Who created the character that is most talked about to appear in SP3?
This article talks in detail as to how and why Venom was created.

In this section we talk about plot outlines, formation of character and backstories. This article addresses those topics.

Also, the reason I looked this up was because I was wondering who would get royalties for the use of Venom in the movie and whether or not hey had a say in his portryal.
If Todd McFarlane,for example, happened to be referenced for insight into Venom then that would affect this films outcome. It is certainly possible.

Concidering it is controversial that Raimi has taken on this character after proclaiming a distaste for him, I think the more we understand about Venom as a whole the better we can anticipate how and why he will appear in the new film.

Plus, original topics that cox thought bring life blood into this board.

I think people that waste posts by talking about "newbies" are making the boards far worse then the people that are actually creating discussion.

Peace
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

The character and history of Venom relate to the movie, who created him does not. Stan Lee's name may be on the films but they really didn't talk to him so its unlikely they would talk to Micheline or MacFarlane.

Moreover Marvel owns his rights, Micheline and McFarlane are not going to get any money.

I think Newbies shouldn't be allowed to create threads so we would get a ton of these useless threads.

I've been a consistant follower of Spiderman Hype since it's inception and followed the boards all along the way.
Decided to register and contribute after years of analysis hardly makes me a "newbie" and it isn't appreciated concidering that the 5 posts I have started have been commended for their unique perspectives within the threads themselves and sparked very interesting and insightful conversations.
I'm not here to waste my time in defense, I'm here to donate my mind to the subject of the boards.
I stand by my explanation of this thread...

Peace
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

Konee Rok said:
I've been a consistant follower of Spiderman Hype since it's inception and followed the boards all along the way.
Decided to register and contribute after years of analysis hardly makes me a "newbie" and it isn't appreciated concidering that the 5 posts I have started have been commended for their unique perspectives within the threads themselves and sparked very interesting and insightful conversations.
I'm not here to waste my time in defense, I'm here to donate my mind to the subject of the boards.

Peace
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

Can't please everyone, all the time.

I for one found this thread interesting, and a nice little read. thank you.

As did I.

All I see with this fighting back and forth over Venom is the fact Michelinie created one of Marvel's greatest and most popular characters. And everyone wants a piece of the pie.

It's funny how there's never a debate over who created Wolverine or The Punisher. Everyone knows it was the writer. The artist just gives a visual represention to that idea.

black_dust said:
This has what to do with Spider-man3?

just a little back drop of venom's history i guess

While I don't necessarily agree with the general mistreatment of "noobies" on this board (I for one have been going on these forums for years, and just recently decided to sign up, as have many other "newbs") I do agree that a lot of useless threads have been started by the people with the lowest post counts.

That being said, I don't think this thread is useless. In fact, it brings up a lot of great points. That also being said, I don't think it belongs in speculative talk about the upcoming Spiderman film. While it does relate, it doesn't have any direct involvement in the film itself, and doesn't really contribute anything having to do with the current speculation. It is, however, still an interesting read.

Oh yeah,as a side note, Venom was created by a man named Joseph Pikes. He lived in the basement of his mother's house for about 7 years sketching comic book characters on granite slabs using chalk he stole from a four year old latino girl named Lola. The day after his 35th birthday, Joseph suffered a heart attack. During the attack, Mr. Pikes was gripped with a sudden bout of inspiration and drew the character of Venom. Stumbling out on the front yard of his mother's house, Joseph dropped the granite slab with Venom's concept art scrawled on it in right in front of Seth Mcfarlane (who happened to be walking his dog Mitsy). The man died and Seth took the slab and later incorporated it into his artwork until finally the character of Venom was introduced to Spider-man fans the world over.

That granite slab that had been used as the source of the character was later used to hit noobs over the head for starting posts in the wrong sections.

I still cant believe there was a 2 year gap between the introduction of venom before the readers could actually see what he was

talk about building up suspense!

interesting read. I never knew about the arm showing up that long before Amazing #300. I only saw the cameo in #298 and #299.
I agree that normally the writer is the creator (that doesn't mean that the person in charge of the art couldn't be part of the creation of the character), I don't consider character creation designing the visual aspect of a character, I call that costume creation. And in this case, McFarlane barely did some of that.

Konee Rok said:

Peace
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

Why do I not believe all these people who claim to have lurked here for over six years?

Your five posts have been commended? Wow, that must make you feel special. :rolleyes: Did you get a special post of the day award along with a coupon for a free ice cream cone?

ComicKoryn said:
While I don't necessarily agree with the general mistreatment of "noobies" on this board (I for one have been going on these forums for years, and just recently decided to sign up, as have many other "newbs") I do agree that a lot of useless threads have been started by the people with the lowest post counts.

That being said, I don't think this thread is useless. In fact, it brings up a lot of great points. That also being said, I don't think it belongs in speculative talk about the upcoming Spiderman film. While it does relate, it doesn't have any direct involvement in the film itself, and doesn't really contribute anything having to do with the current speculation. It is, however, still an interesting read.

Oh yeah,as a side note, Venom was created by a man named Joseph Pikes. He lived in the basement of his mother's house for about 7 years sketching comic book characters on granite slabs using chalk he stole from a four year old latino girl named Lola. The day after his 35th birthday, Joseph suffered a heart attack. During the attack, Mr. Pikes was gripped with a sudden bout of inspiration and drew the character of Venom. Stumbling out on the front yard of his mother's house, Joseph dropped the granite slab with Venom's concept art scrawled on it in right in front of Seth Mcfarlane (who happened to be walking his dog Mitsy). The man died and Seth took the slab and later incorporated it into his artwork until finally the character of Venom was introduced to Spider-man fans the world over.

That granite slab that had been used as the source of the character was later used to hit noobs over the head for starting posts in the wrong sections.

Venom was on Family Guy? ;)

Konee Rok said:

Peace
Konee Rok
www.KoneeRok.com
www.MySpace.com/KoneeRok

Donating your mind???????????????????????????????????:confused:

The sign of a good linguist isn't the use of big words.... it's the ability to use your skills in language to convey a message.

Talking above people is the route of someone who fears being argued with.
To quote a movie:

"Don't touch that! your simple mind wouldn't understand the complex... alloys.. and metals.."

not the exact quote but it's the jist of what I'm trying to say.

If you don't want people to shut you down... relate to them.. if you can't relate... at least respect.

please feel free to donate your opinion.

Venom has an interesting history.. almost out of the blue if you will

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"