Which Superheroine Movie Will Do the Best

jaymes_e06

Avenger
Reaction score
So there are three new female led comic book movies (Red Sonja, Magdelena, and Witchblade) coming to the big screen in the near future. I know a mojority don't think that female led action movies can don't sell well but which do you think will do the best of the three?

Last edited:
how much money do you think? 100 million stateside 200 worldwide? Or, more actually, like 50-75 mill stateside and 150 worldwide?

To the people that are voting "they'll all bomb" do you want to give a reason why?

Realistically - none.

The people associated with each of the projects, particularly the actors for Red Sonja (Rose McGowan) and Magdelena (Jenna Dewan) don't really impress me with their skills.

Further, the initial script review for Red Sonja made the film sound like the ugly love child of Kill Bill and 300 (and I'm not sure that is a combination that will work). Magdalena could lose people if they try to associate the film too much with the Da Vinci Code and similar films/conspiracy theories.

That typed, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. If even one of these films does well (which will depend upon their budget, etc), then I would hope it would encourage studios to look at other female-lead action movies, including Wonder Woman and perhaps even the likes of Xena: Warrior Princess and Lara Croft:Tomb Raider.

Cheers.

At this point I can't say I have high hopes for any of them.

I vote none. I doubt anyone would know any of them beforehand... and also I doubt that a good trailer would sell these movies to people.

^Now that's where I disagree with you. I think franchises like Resident Evil and Underworld really sold on their movies by the trailers. I think it's a toss up as to wether any of these movies will do well but I'm thinking that if they have a really bad ass trailer it would win a lot of people over.

What's this about none of them having knowledge of them beforehand? Red Sonja had a cult 1980's movie and Witchblade had not only a live action series but a anime series within the last ten years. A lot of people know about these characters the only one that I can say is very limited audiance would be Magdelena which is only really known to fans of Wtichblade comic but that being said I think that the religious undertones might make people interested.

A lot of people know about these characters

Not a general audience. We're not talking some of the bigger name super heroines here. Plus, those people that already know it don't just go into to people that will see them category.

Red Sonja will do the best financially, but I think Magdalena will be the best film, and surprise a lot of people. However if Megan Fox gets cast as Witchblade that will do the best B.O of the three IMO.

Not a general audience. We're not talking some of the bigger name super heroines here. Plus, those people that already know it don't just go into to people that will see them category.
The same can be said about 300, Wanted, Sin City, Hellboy etc... If it's an indie comic chances are low that anyone is going to know about it other than comic readers but if it has been translated to other forms of media (tv series, cartoons, and film) and been sucessful the chances of it doing well in film form are better farring.

The same can be said about 300, Wanted, Sin City, Hellboy etc... If it's an indie comic chances are low that anyone is going to know about it other than comic readers but if it has been translated to other forms of media (tv series, cartoons, and film) and been sucessful the chances of it doing well in film form are better farring.

300 - Zack Snyder had just scored with Dawn of the Dead...

Wanted - Angelina Jolie

Sin City - The laundry list of stars

Hellboy - Didn't do that well at all...

Which is why after Lobo posted, I sort of started to agree with him. Red Sonja has RR and McGowan... which may help some, depends on who ends up in Witchblade... just like Wanted, and I don't see any way that Magdalena would jump ahead of them all... unless the entire thing is a-list talent.

Although, I might be a little more cynical in my estimates and say that they might just pull 'Hellboy's or less.

Characters don't have to be well known to have successful movies.

^Agreed. The main thing about these movie is they have to be fantastic in script and executions because they have so much going against them just because they are females "super heroes."

300 - Zack Snyder had just scored with Dawn of the Dead...

Wanted - Angelina Jolie

Sin City - The laundry list of stars

Hellboy - Didn't do that well at all...
You can't generalize it like that every comic franchise is unique. Just because there A-Listers headlining a movie doesn't garantee success I mean look at Catwoman, TLOEG, and Elektra all had A-List talent but the execution was terrible and all three films bombed at the box office.

I think that if a film can do well with critics (especially comic movies) it makes it easier for general audiances to go see That is what seems to be the thing in commen in successful comic based movies IMO.

Last edited:
Wow! You are the picture of maturity...:whatever: Anyway I'm done trying to argue with you sir.:oldrazz:

Wow! You are the picture of maturity...:whatever: Anyway I'm done trying to argue with you sir.:oldrazz:

I thought we were just disagreeing. :oldrazz:

Especially because at this point... none of what we say really makes any difference, because no trailers are out... so it's just a snap judgment using our prejudices.

Red Sonja will do the best financially, but I think Magdalena will be the best film, and surprise a lot of people. However if Megan Fox gets cast as Witchblade that will do the best B.O of the three IMO.
Or Odette Yustman as Sara and Megan as her younger sister Julie. :cwink:
That way you couldn't loose.:cwink::cwink:

Witchblade has no real cast right now so I wouldn't count on it. Its as good as the Wonder Woman movie.

Sonja is the only one that has any chance.

Or Odette Yustman as Sara and Megan as her younger sister Julie. :cwink:
That way you couldn't loose.:cwink::cwink:

Odette would not get top billing over megan Fox at this point in their careers.

Odette would not get top billing over megan Fox at this point in their careers.
So bigger stars don't take supporting roles under less exposed actors??:huh:
I'm just saying that Fox might shun the lead role because according to reports she has already signed to play the lead in Fathom so she might not want to be cast as two different female heroes I mean it's almost unheard of. But if your wondering why she would consider a smaller role it's because she is a big fan of WB and Mike Turner (which is why she probably wanted to play Aspen in Fathom) and she might like to have a little cameo in his memory to his first creation if she can't play the lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"