Why do fans gripe so much about product placement?

^probably copyright issues, or if maybe the channel airing it is sponsored by a rival fast food chain

Product placement doesn’t bother me much except for some specific examples, like in the recent Ghostbusters remake when they order Papa John’s pizza. I’m sure there are a few people who prefer Papa John’s cardboard crust and latex cheese over the million or so superior local pizza joints in New York, but I certainly don’t want to watch a movie about them.

That said, what annoys me more in a movie is when they purposely avoid product placement to the point where it creates illogical scenarios. For example, I think we’ve all seen a movie where a guy walks up to a bar, and just says, “I’ll have a beer.” And then the bartender just gives him some random brew. In the real world, the bartender would actually reply, “Uh, okay... what kind of beer?”

Whenever I see dumb, lazy writing like that, it just takes me out of the movie. If you didn’t want to use a name brand, your character could just say something like, “I’ll have your best IPA” or whatever.

^That's what I can appreciate it when movies make up brands, like Red Apple cigarettes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"