Why do fans gripe so much about product placement?

Unpopular opinion but I didn’t think the Krispy Kreme product placement in Power Rangers was that bad. I liked the scene where Rita eats the donut and Goldar trashes the place.

Oh she can have a Nikon camera. I love 'em. I just think it's funny that I know she has a Nikon camera, because they made sure the brand was visible for someone to notice, instead of just not showing it or having an X brand camera. It's funny in the context of the film being kinda filled with product placement. It's not about "placing it in the real world" it's about low key ****ing a product :hehe: and it distracted me from an otherwise good scene.

But my point is: why should she use a brand X camera and not a Nikon one? Ain't she worthy enough to have one? (Just messin' with you)

But my point REALLY is, I've never really had any problems with visual or clever (Back to the Future Part II) product placement.

As long as the characters don't stop their natural flow to talk about the products, it's all fine by me.

For example, Will Smith pointing out to his Converse model was an eye rolling moment in I, Robot.

Last edited:
Demolition Man has Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell in another version. I think that stuff is amusing.
Only when there's so much that it becomes obnoxious. As mentioned, Man Of Steel is the first that comes to mind (Superman and Zod fighting trough a IHOP, Sears and 7/11).
That's a non-issue there, I never thought that was worth the fuss, they were just banners in a small town.

Krispy Kreme advertisement in the 2017 Power Rangers movie didn't make me fuss about product placement either, it's pronounced a few times, but I had no complaints.

Last edited:
I don't hate product placement, I find it amusing mostly. Especially when it's very blatant. I watched Hobbs & Shaw the other night for the first time and there was this random close up of a Chevy logo that just made me laugh.

I still remember the first time I actively noticed product placement. it was in Keeping The Faith when they're all at the theater drinking Pepsi, and everyone's logo is facing the screen.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the products are in the film in a natural way with no undue attention being called to them.

It depends. If its badly done it can take you out of the movie.

I personally don't mind product placements when they are done right. That hemi gag in Fantastic Four 2 is a good example of doing it bad.

I think my bigger complaint is actually the opposite when someone just orders a “beer”!

What brand!!

I've never cared much about it either unless it becomes a commercial and takes you out of the movie. Even then, it's an easy thing to get over.

I remember in the IMDB boards when Coors Light was sponsoring It's Always Sunny...
People were outraged. To me, it made sense. They're at a bar 98% of the time, drinking beer. Might as well be a well-known brand.

If it's natural, it's all good... it's like the reverse, no name stuff draws me out.

Reactions: CJ
I remember that for a while in the early 00s we always saw Audis everywhere in blockbuster/action flicks, and after some while I got annoyed by those on the nose commercials. Even in sci-fi flicks like I Am Robot with Will Smith we saw futuristic Audis, and by then it just got ridiculous. And yeah, we don't have to mention those Transporter flicks. Whoa, an Audi can actually fly..

On the other hand, If you watch Psycho (1960) today and pay attention, you'll notice how much of a Ford commercial it actually is. Janet Leigh changes her older Ford for a more update Ford model at a Ford-dealer early on. All the police cars turning up later are all Fords. And so on. You rarely see any car brand besides Ford in this classic film. This is nothing new.

I have to say the McDonalds product placement in Kingsman was done in a fun and clever way.
hardly the worst example of McDonalds placement in a movie lol
the-fifth-element-futuristic-movies-wallpaper-preview.jpg

46150-1571153786.jpg
3juhs16wfyp21.jpg

I liked that McDonalds product placement in Fith Element.

I'm even okay with with!

yes, it's Fifth Element...
(If you don't recall this sence I have noticed that it is edited out in some of the "tv" versions , but it was in the origonal theatrical version/dvd)

I wonder why they would edit that out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"