Superman Returns Why DOESN'T the world need Superman?

Gamma Ray

Superhero
Reaction score
What did Lois write in her article? Why DOESN'T the world need Superman, according to her?

Because everyone became too dependant on someone who turned out to be a flake.

Well.......there wasn't an actual article written...was there?

Gogo Bananas said:
Because everyone became too dependant on someone who turned out to be a flake.

From a previous poster:

It's simple. If Superman Returns isn't up your alley, don't watch it again. Don't go around preaching how 'bad' or 'terrible' it is and ruin other people's expectations or change anybody's impressionable thoughts on it. It's selfish and very sooky to go and whine because Brian Singer's adaption of Superman isn't how YOU wanted him to be.

I'm sure a lot of you haters have films you LOVE, that I may despise. However I wouldn't consider turning into a big-screen extremist and claim that anyone who supports the movie is a 'fanboy' or 'loves a poorly done movie'.

You should think about that...

Dunno. Frankly, I never did understand that concept. Lois speaks how "everyone moved on"...from what I saw, no one snubbed his comeback except her.

LostSon88 said:
From a previous poster:

It's simple. If Superman Returns isn't up your alley, don't watch it again. Don't go around preaching how 'bad' or 'terrible' it is and ruin other people's expectations or change anybody's impressionable thoughts on it. It's selfish and very sooky to go and whine because Brian Singer's adaption of Superman isn't how YOU wanted him to be.

I'm sure a lot of you haters have films you LOVE, that I may despise. However I wouldn't consider turning into a big-screen extremist and claim that anyone who supports the movie is a 'fanboy' or 'loves a poorly done movie'.

You should think about that...

What the hell are you talking about?
Put down the crack pipe and learn to read.

I was talkin' about your posts in general, dummy.

Gogo Bananas said:
It made sense, it just wasn't that creative.
Richard Pryor had a better scheme in SM III.
But, oh yeah, III isn't part of the vague history.
Gogo Bananas said:
Singer just brought back all the camp Superman has been trying to live down for the last 20 years.
Gogo Bananas said:
It's all just another example of sloppy film making.
Gogo Bananas said:
I've already seen it twice, and I regret the second time. I may withhold on the dvd as protest.
Gogo Bananas said:
Singer got lucky with Usual Suspects and has been riding off that ever since. His film making is competant at best, and in a lot of ways even guys like Ratner or Bay outshine him.

You didn't like SR we get it!

Well, remember....one of the reasons he's so in love with her is b/c for him, she's really the closest he feels to being human. So, in a way...she's kind of his outlet to the world.

Gamma Ray said:
What did Lois write in her article? Why DOESN'T the world need Superman, according to her?
If you mean - Did someone actually write such an article (for the movie) that has Lois' name on it (that you can find somewhere and read)....I don't know if they went to that length (some actors in the past have been known to do such things to help them get into character, but I haven't heard if it was done for this film).

If you mean - What is YOUR take on what she wrote...then here is one idea -

Lois, being dismayed at the sudden absence of Superman (the man she believes she loves, and is most certainly enamoured of and infatuated with) finds herself also mysteriously pregnant (and it had to enter her thoughts at some time that Supes was somehow responsible for it) and feeling abandoned. To help her emotionally move on and get on with her life...she writes an artcle all about how people have to be resiliant and take care of their own problems and situations (which she has been doing the last several years) and to rely on the normal everyday things and people around them for support and guidence...not to sit back and wait for the intervention of a "Super" being.

LostSon88 said:

I've never had one of my posts as a signature before :O

The world doesn't need Superman because he clogs up the 4th of July weekend at the theater with an unoriginal and dull movie that does nothing but feed the box office slump and scare off other films that might have staked out this weekend and given us something good to watch.

No mas. Superman needs to quit ruining it for other comic based films.

/|/| dude, what is up with that? come one...

Masut said:
I've never had one of my posts as a signature before :O

as i said before, that was a well-written post!

My 2 cents on Lois' motivation for writing such an article is based on the fact that she was completely and utterly destroyed after he left. Even if she let a good amount of time go by rather than writing it as a pure emotional response, I think there was always that feeling inside of her that wanted to vent what she was going through, and that article may have become to the medium for her to do that. It's actually one of the most honest parts about the film, because unless someone has gone through such a painful experience, you can't really wrap your head around it...but she had to.

Okay you *******s, enough with your jokes and whiny and bull****. This is about the article IN the film. Not your low IQ.

Anyway, as for what is on the article she wrote: pieces from it are in the Fourth Prequel. It stated that as a species of human beings, we needed to let someone who is gone go. And that since we can stand up on our own, we need to believe in ourselves and not on one man. Thats why she said "Why the world doesn't need a Superman"

It can be said that her article is like a focus not just on Superman, but superheroes in general.

topdog1 said:
The world doesn't need Superman because he clogs up the 4th of July weekend at the theater with an unoriginal and dull movie that does nothing but feed the box office slump and scare off other films that might have staked out this weekend and given us something good to watch.

No mas. Superman needs to quit ruining it for other comic based films.

Holy s**t! Give it a ****ing rest!

as they say... A woman scorned... something something something.
Lois was pissed that he left her, knock'd up.
and the rest of the world was pissed becuz he didn't show up to the Lex Luthor trial.

LostSon88 said:

Whoa, he actually said Michael Bay and Ratner outshine him as directors? Wow. Just wow.

I don't know what to say to that. I'm speechless.

How about everyone stops the petty attacks on each other and actually talk about the thread topic?

C. Lee said:
How about everyone stops the petty attacks on each other and actually talk about the thread topic?

How about trolls stop coming into a thread and ruining intelligent discussions?

LastSunrise1981 said:
How about trolls stop coming into a thread and ruining intelligent discussions?
I want everyone to stop.

The trolls need to stop coming in and acting stupid.

And others need to stop responding to the trolls...which is what they want you to do.

C. Lee said:
I want everyone to stop.

The trolls need to stop coming in and acting stupid.

And others need to stop responding to the trolls...which is what they want you to do.

C. Lee, can you sort out some of these Troll's numerous identities? Some are posting (badly) under what seems like multiple identities.

LostSon88 said:

If you have a problem with my feelings regarding Superman Returns how about digging up the posts which are less convenient for you? Like the positive and moderate ones, or the posts where I've defended it.
Not that I have to justify my opinion to you or anyone else. I've seen it twice now, and paid for my ticket both times. If I think it sucks I think it sucks and you'll just have to deal with that.

Now as for my post which you seem to find so offensive here, at least offensive enough to go scrounging around for my other posts, I said:

"Because everyone became too dependant on someone who turned out to be a flake."

Which is exactly correct. The world became too dependant on Superman and he turned out to be a flake. Are you going to argue with me that he didn't leave them hanging for five years without an explanation? Cuz that seemed like a pretty damn big part of the plot to me.
How about concerning yourself less with imaginary trolls and start worry about fanatical apologists with blinders on?

Here's the article:

WHY THE WORLD DOESN'T NEED SUPERMAN
by Lois Lane, Daily Planet

As we enter the third year without Superman, we must ask ourselves, "Do we need Superman? Do we really need him?" and the answer is a definite "No."

Why don't we need him? The reasons are many. He enters our lives, and then leaves in the morning and never calls, never writes, and never bothers to say good-bye. He saves the world, and makes us feel special, and then thinks, with a simple gesture, he can erase our memory of how special he was to us! He thinks he can erase the memory of how much we love him, how wonderful it felt to have his strong, powerful arms around us, and how his potent Kryptonian love changed us forever!

Superman never asked us if we wanted him in our lives. He never asked us if he could look at our underwear with his x-ray vision, or carry us through the air, around the city. He never did tell us if he could read our minds. He told us he was a friend from another star, but then he left us to fend for ourselves. He left without a word. He discarded his love of humanity like we were all half of a penny, but never thought that all those half-cents add up to a lot! What kind of man leaves a newly-vulnerable world behind, without support? A man we don't need.

Superman's help was like having sex with a god in a big, silvery satin bed. At first it's wonderful, and then you realize that you're in a house made of crystal in the middle of the arctic, and you realize it's freezing and that this crystal home could shatter at any minute! Well, you know what I mean... We became dependent on Superman, and then fell apart when he's wasn't there. We were fools to fall in love with him. We were fools to give him our hearts and minds. We fell for his protective image like kids out of school. We should never have drunk all that champagne at Niagara Falls.

Of course, we found out later that maybe Superman wasn't the protective father figure we needed, and that maybe General Zod, despite all his forcefulness, might actually have be the father we're looking for. Of course, that's probably just as foolish- As foolish as thinking a man belongs in the sky! All kryptonians have done is bring sorrow to us, both the bad ones, and the good one. They're all alike. They're never there in the morning.

I'm giving up supermen.

I need a cigarette.

(of course this is fake, and for laughs.)

lol@ it brings the true meaning to "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"