Smallville Why is Smallville polarizing amongst Superman fans?

Personally, I liked Smallville, but only because I came in late in the game and binged seasons 1-9. I think the development was way too slow. Hence Flash being better than all 10 seasons of Smallville. In one season, it's introduced the concept of time travel, The Reverse Flash, the Rogues, Grodd and even other heroes such a Firestorm. And it's also building up to Killer Frost and Vibe. In fact, the Star Labs team consists of two heroes and two villains whose characters are being expanded in the same way as Clark and Lex were in Smallville, but they're managing to build them all up at a much faster rate. Even the annoying relationship drama seems to be developing further than Clark and Lana did in their first TWO seasons.

That said, I did enjoy it. Especially Lois' character, who was far more interesting than the one we got in MOS.

I loved the first three seasons, kinda liked the fourth, disliked the fifth, stopped watching during the sixth. It lost its way by trying to hard.

I did tune in for the final show and wasnt a bit surprised at the ending.

For me my issue was that I was kinda thinking it would end around season 2-3 but then it kept going and became its own thing. I originally thought it was going to be a build up to the classic Supes we all know and love but as i said before it created its own story which was off putting.

People who don't think it's an insult to the comics mythology need to go read some Superman books. There are so many things from the comics even in the first season.

'Cause it got worse and worse with every season.

Way too much shark jumping.

Personally, I liked Smallville, but only because I came in late in the game and binged seasons 1-9. I think the development was way too slow. Hence Flash being better than all 10 seasons of Smallville. In one season, it's introduced the concept of time travel, The Reverse Flash, the Rogues, Grodd and even other heroes such a Firestorm. And it's also building up to Killer Frost and Vibe. In fact, the Star Labs team consists of two heroes and two villains whose characters are being expanded in the same way as Clark and Lex were in Smallville, but they're managing to build them all up at a much faster rate. Even the annoying relationship drama seems to be developing further than Clark and Lana did in their first TWO seasons.

That said, I did enjoy it. Especially Lois' character, who was far more interesting than the one we got in MOS.

I loved smallville and I like the flash I lot but I don't think the flash is better then smallville though or at least not yet. Season 1 of the flash I would put above season 1,4,6,7,8,10 of smallville but I think season 2,3,5,9 of smallville where better and so far I think season 2 of flash is not has good has season 1 was.

I thought the Flash season 1 deserves to sit alongside the best season of Smallville which IMO was Season 9. Also Arrow season 2 is right there aswell.

I thought the Flash season 1 deserves to sit alongside the best season of Smallville which IMO was Season 9. Also Arrow season 2 is right there aswell.

Don't care for arrow at all and with smallville I think season 2 was the best and season 2,3 are better then 9 and maybe 5.

I actually like season 3 the best. It should have wrapped up in season 5 and not went in the different direction in season 7. That shift is what gave people the idea that we might see Superman. It's also the season that sets up the moronic stuff they would later do with Lex.

I thought season 3 is when the show started its downhill path, there's some great episode in there but its all a little to dark for my tastes. Still good mind.

I'm glad it didn't end in season 5, sure 6 & 7 were very hit and miss but Season 8 was good as season 9 was phenomenal. I wouldn't want to lose that season. Season 10 you can tell they were just delaying until the end.

Including active heroes, essentially moving the show to Metropolis, and making it a Superman show missing Superman is what lead to that disappointing final episode. Don't tease something you can't deliver.

Including active heroes, essentially moving the show to Metropolis, and making it a Superman show missing Superman is what lead to that disappointing final episode. Don't tease something you can't deliver.

All it needed was a shirt rip anyway the show was about the journey.
But if you were dissatisfied then all I can say is it's a shame.

I sort of felt like my time was wasted a little but still appreciate the show. What angered me most was the events of the show have zero impact on the character of Lex Luthor.

I will always adore Smallville and it will always have a special place in my heart.

It made me a bigger Superman fan. It also lead to me picking up non-Batman comics. I'll always love the show for that as well as the many episodes I liked.

I thought season 3 is when the show started its downhill path, there's some great episode in there but its all a little to dark for my tastes. Still good mind.

I'm glad it didn't end in season 5, sure 6 & 7 were very hit and miss but Season 8 was good as season 9 was phenomenal. I wouldn't want to lose that season. Season 10 you can tell they were just delaying until the end.

I liked the darkness of season 3 best season and has like 4 of like the top 10 episodes in that season. Season 4 was worse and then season 5 was better again. Season 6 and 7 the show got to much like a soap with the drama and I hated lex lana stuff. Also wonder if the how much the wrighters strike hurt season 7 has the season was 2 episodes shorter. 8 the show got better and then 9 was the best sinces season 3. Season 10 it fell like the whole season was filler episodes it was like no episodes really took the season forward.

Let me start off by saying I enjoyed Smallville. What bothered me the most was the whole no tights/no flight rule. While that made sense if the show had run 3-4 seasons. When it got to the point of him living in Metropolis and basically becoming Superman and forming the Justice League...it got ridiculous and frustrating. Plus, I felt the finale was so rushed. I had invested 10 seasons on him (Welling) becoming Superman and they rushed through it.

I love Smallville, and ?I think for the time that it was in, which was the Pre-Dark Knight era, it worked well.

I will say though, the show didn't need 10 season. Remove season 6-8 in their entirety, and condense 4,5 9, and 10 into 2-3 seasons, and I think it would have told a much better story.

I found my season #2 set that someone got me years ago and watched it this weekend.

Then thought I'd come back to the forum out of nostalgia. Season 2 did such a great job with the build up of the mythology and made you really think they might be going somewhere. Wish the show would've lead up to it's potential instead of what became a constant tease of flight & rush to introduce "names".

Making Clark a BDA...the death of Jonathan also was a turning point that pissed many people off.
I personally hated the shows treatment of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, as well as the butt missing towards Chloe and Lana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"