Why Vin Diesel SHOULD Play 'Venom'

thejon93

Forever Haunted
Reaction score
vin-diesel-picture-1.jpg

Now, I personally always wondered: What was all the hype around this guy? He's a decent action-star, and that's pretty much all I've seen him do; with the exception of one family comedy, but still classified him as an action-star(sorta like The Rock in 'Race to Witch Mountain'... except 'The Pacifier' was better than that turd).

You look at him in the picture above, you see that he's got the body and mass to pull off something alike what the character of Eddie Brock looks like in the comic books. And... you can almost envision a perfect incarnation of Venom with the shape of his forehead:oldrazz:

Anyhow, the point this thread title makes is: Why Vin Diesel SHOULD Play 'Venom'. And, the answer is very simple. He's the only choice, but be thankfully that it's a good one...

----------------------

Looking at all of his past action works, with movies like: 'The Fast and The Furious', 'Pitch Black', 'xXx', and his latest box-office record setter; 'Fast and Furious'. I can pretty much say that he's on the right track with film studios. But, with audiences... maybe not so much. Vin Diesel is like Nicholas Cage; in that his agent is telling him to stick with projects like 'Knowing', instead of discovering greater projects, like his past greats, such as: 'Adaption', 'Leaving Las Vegas', etc. Both of these actors have starred in at least one good/great action film(Diesel: 'Pitch Black', Cage: 'Face/Off'), and somehow they decided to form their entire careers around such projects.

For the majority of his career, Nicholas Cage was looking to land a role as a comic-book character. Hoping that 'Ghost Rider' was that shining light, a success of that movie would've brought him back up, as past comic-book adaptions did other actors; such as: Tobey Maguire, Robert Downey Jr., etc. But, unfortunately, the movie didn't pan out. Landing Cage right back on the ever-so-popular, "Plateau of $%#&". Vin Diesel is not on the Plateau yet, because he's still looking for that big-break... in the form of a comic-book adaption.

Now, if you're saying to yourself: "Oh, you've got to be kidding me" right about now, I can understand. Talking about actors "big-breaks" and crap like that, get down to the point that interests us. And the point that will interest you... is that Vin Diesel can act.

Looking at his variety of action features, you'd probably be rolling your eyes at me. But maybe you don't know about Mr. Diesel's over projects that have never been seen by many. Of course, the main film that comes to mind with this is 'Find Me Guilty'. 'Find Me Guilty' was a little known, little talked about film based off of a true story of one of the longest running criminal trials ever. This film wasn't largely well-received by critics, but what was noted by virtually all of them was Vin Diesel's stand-out performance. Now, I have never seen this film before, but I am heavily interested now in seeing this performance unfold.

However, another film to look at in favour of Diesel is 'Strays'. I've seen bits of this film on television, but never in full. But, this is a little known film where Diesel was credited as both the director and producer, proving that he has skills with other occupations in the movie industry, apart from acting.

And finally, the film that I just simply recommend you see, even if you haven't... 'Iron Giant'. Only credited for his voice-work of the Iron Giant himself, Vin Diesel proves that he can also spend quality time in the sound booth to really discover a character's voice. And, if speaking as Venom, doesn't he have to carry a completely new tone of voice?...

----------------------

Anyhow, feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, etc, on whether or not you agree that Vin Diesel should play Venom. If you got some more reasons to post as to either why he should/shouldn't, I'd be happy to read them.

vin-diesel-picture-1.jpg

Now, I personally always wondered: What was all the hype around this guy? He's a decent action-star, and that's pretty much all I've seen him do; with the exception of one family comedy, but still classified him as an action-star(sorta like The Rock in 'Race to Witch Mountain'... except 'The Pacifier' was better than that turd).

You look at him in the picture above, you see that he's got the body and mass to pull off something alike what the character of Eddie Brock looks like in the comic books. And... you can almost envision a perfect incarnation of Venom with the shape of his forehead:oldrazz:

Anyhow, the point this thread title makes is: Why Vin Diesel SHOULD Play 'Venom'. And, the answer is very simple. He's the only choice, but be thankfully that it's a good one...

----------------------

Looking at all of his past action works, with movies like: 'The Fast and The Furious', 'Pitch Black', 'xXx', and his latest box-office record setter; 'Fast and Furious'. I can pretty much say that he's on the right track with film studios. But, with audiences... maybe not so much. Vin Diesel is like Nicholas Cage; in that his agent is telling him to stick with projects like 'Knowing', instead of discovering greater projects, like his past greats, such as: 'Adaption', 'Leaving Las Vegas', etc. Both of these actors have starred in at least one good/great action film(Diesel: 'Pitch Black', Cage: 'Face/Off'), and somehow they decided to form their entire careers around such projects.

For the majority of his career, Nicholas Cage was looking to land a role as a comic-book character. Hoping that 'Ghost Rider' was that shining light, a success of that movie would've brought him back up, as past comic-book adaptions did other actors; such as: Tobey Maguire, Robert Downey Jr., etc. But, unfortunately, the movie didn't pan out. Landing Cage right back on the ever-so-popular, "Plateau of $%#&". Vin Diesel is not on the Plateau yet, because he's still looking for that big-break... in the form of a comic-book adaption.

Now, if you're saying to yourself: "Oh, you've got to be kidding me" right about now, I can understand. Talking about actors "big-breaks" and crap like that, get down to the point that interests us. And the point that will interest you... is that Vin Diesel can act.

Looking at his variety of action features, you'd probably be rolling your eyes at me. But maybe you don't know about Mr. Diesel's over projects that have never been seen by many. Of course, the main film that comes to mind with this is 'Find Me Guilty'. 'Find Me Guilty' was a little known, little talked about film based off of a true story of one of the longest running criminal trials ever. This film wasn't largely well-received by critics, but what was noted by virtually all of them was Vin Diesel's stand-out performance. Now, I have never seen this film before, but I am heavily interested now in seeing this performance unfold.

However, another film to look at in favour of Diesel is 'Strays'. I've seen bits of this film on television, but never in full. But, this is a little known film where Diesel was credited as both the director and producer, proving that he has skills with other occupations in the movie industry, apart from acting.

And finally, the film that I just simply recommend you see, even if you haven't... 'Iron Giant'. Only credited for his voice-work of the Iron Giant himself, Vin Diesel proves that he can also spend quality time in the sound booth to really discover a character's voice. And, if speaking as Venom, doesn't he have to carry a completely new tone of voice?...

----------------------

Anyhow, feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, etc, on whether or not you agree that Vin Diesel should play Venom. If you got some more reasons to post as to either why he should/shouldn't, I'd be happy to read them.

If Raimi would have done Spidey 3 right he would have been a sweet Venom. And if Marvel listens to his ideas about wanting to play a superhero then perhaps this is a good fit. I'm all for it. I just wish it could have happened in SM3.

I'm sorry...I just don't see it.
I can understand your point.
he probably could be a decent venom
I'm just hoping that they can give him a shot with a good script and character for him to portray. I can see him surprising a lot of people with his performance; and maybe the movie itself can turn over a few pleasant surprises, as well.
If Raimi would have done Spidey 3 right he would have been a sweet Venom. And if Marvel listens to his ideas about wanting to play a superhero then perhaps this is a good fit. I'm all for it. I just wish it could have happened in SM3.
I don't think that we can all blame Raimi for how 'Spider-Man 3' turned out(as none of us were there to actually varify), but I see your point. However, it wasn't up to him with the casting of the character, it was up to the producers. I believe Topher did a good job with the material. But, it was unfortunate that he couldn't have a real-standing presence in the role of Eddie Brock, or even Venom, himself.

Last edited:
I like Vin Diesel but he doesn't resemble the character in any way beside muscularity.

A well thought out argument. And yes, I do think he is underrated as an actual actor. And he is very good at voice-work.

But I'm really not sure he is the right choice for Venom.

He'll be better than Topher Grace, but still, NO. Vin Diesel shouldn't play him.

I actully don't think Diesels a terrible actor he was alright in Boiler Room and Saving Private Ryan but I don't see anything of venom besides his muscular.
If Diesel had to play a comic book character he would be better of as Bane or something.

I actully don't think Diesels a terrible actor he was alright in Boiler Room and Saving Private Ryan but I don't see anything of venom besides his muscular.
If Diesel had to play a comic book character he would be better of as Bane or something.
I respect your opinion on that. However, I see Diesel as (potentially) being a complex guy/actor that we haven't fully experienced in a movie yet. That's why I think he's perfect for the role of Venom, instead of somebody else. I think that if you give him a good script and a good director to work with, he'll give a just as good performance. Look at the new Jean Claude Van Damme movie, 'JCVD'. Nobody's ever seen Jean give that caliber of performance in a movie before, but he did it. And again, I'm thinking the same for Vin Diesel.

Actually, this is a good idea. Plus it will bring more people into see the movie because teenage america will be like "OMG ITZ VIN DIESEL! LETS GO SEE IT!"

Actually, this is a good idea. Plus it will bring more people into see the movie because teenage america will be like "OMG ITZ VIN DIESEL! LETS GO SEE IT!"
Haha, well... I'm kind of hoping that they make this film sorta like a classic arthouse film, one that doesn't require a massive $100M+ budget. The closer they play it off to what we got from the 'Spider-Man' movies, the better (for me).

Nah!

There is, however, a place for Vin in a comic book flick. He'd be perfect for Bullseye in a DD reboot. Just perfect.

Nah!

There is, however, a place for Vin in a comic book flick. He'd be perfect for Bullseye in a DD reboot. Just perfect.
I could see him play out a good Bullseye. But personally, I always felt that the character should be portrayed by somebody with the menace of Woody Harrelson from 'Natural Born Killers'.

He'd be a better Venom than Topher Grace, I'll give you that. But, I just dont think so. What they should've done in SM3 is: No Sandman, more time to develop Venom's story, and have Thomas Hayden Church play Brock. :up:

He'd be a better Venom than Topher Grace, I'll give you that. But, I just dont think so. What they should've done in SM3 is: No Sandman, more time to develop Venom's story, and have Thomas Hayden Church play Brock. :up:
I thought so too. I thought he did great as Sandman, but with Venom in the movie as well... he felt kinda miscast. Not because he did poorly, but because he's the guy whom you would imagine in such a role. Grace was fine as Brock, in my opinion. He didn't feel completely, nor entirely, hollow. But as Venom... there just wasn't much Venom there. Instead, we had to settle for Topher's face for half of the character's screentime (which made the majority of the audience hate him in the role even more so than before).

I don't think Diesel is an up and comer any more. Fast & Furious solidified him as a star. I respect your points, but I would much rather see Vin Diesel as Bane. The Batman series is in need of a physical villain and Diesel has the kind of acting chops (If Speilberg and Sydney Lummet think he can act, then he can act regardless of what the fanboys say) to do it.

Lastly I don't see where they could go with Venom in the films, he's been destroyed. Don't expect a reboot anytme soon.

I don't think Diesel is an up and comer any more. Fast & Furious solidified him as a star. I respect your points, but I would much rather see Vin Diesel as Bane. The Batman series is in need of a physical villain and Diesel has the kind of acting chops (If Speilberg and Sydney Lummet think he can act, then he can act regardless of what the fanboys say) to do it.

Lastly I don't see where they could go with Venom in the films, he's been destroyed. Don't expect a reboot anytme soon.

Do you really have that much blind faith in them, though? If they told you Disaster Movie was the all-time best comedy of the decade, would you agree?

He's a decent action-star
I stopped reading after this (and I still don't know why I even clicked on this thread)

Do you really have that much blind faith in them, though? If they told you Disaster Movie was the all-time best comedy of the decade, would you agree?

That is in no way comparable because it's highly improbable, whereas Vin Diesel is indeed capable of good work. It's not blind faith either, it's valuing their opinions.

to be honest...when I hear the name Vin Diesel...I automatically say "NO"

But after giving it careful though...i'm going to say yes. I think he has the voice and the build for Venom.

I think this may never happen now with Chronicles of Riddick's sequel in works. That's his one true character that most people like so if it is true that pre-production is under way, then I think that he will be stuck doing this sequel and the finale to the series as David Twohy and Vin has said so.

Like I said, in SM3 he would have been a more brutal version and I have always thought Vin should have gone the villain route rather than the hero.

Let it go Jon, this guy isn't going to be convinced. Don't try to explain yourself when others simply put a *facepalm* instead of having any reason. Maybe he hates Vin in everything he's done and he's just close minded.

Truthfully, it is a stretch and it would have been iffy to most fans for Vin to be a consideration but with how he just looks like an animal and how I can imagine him as the comic Venom would be sweet. Venom is a villain that would end up being mostly CGI and all Vin would have to do is show anger and hatred towards Parker before he became Venom. It wouldn't be that difficult considering how simple the character is. He has a jealous/hatred for Peter and gets the symbiote and becomes a vengeful more enhanced version of Spidey. It's pretty simple. I don't think Vin would do that wrong in a movie with Spidey but with a stand alone movie where you try to understand the character...that would be difficult to do. I'm still not sold on a stand alone Venom story...and I like Venom.

Attention thejon93 and bryanss3.....stop the arguing and the name calling. Keep this thread on track.

I suggest the both of you just ignore each other from now on. That means don't bother replying to each other's posts about anything.

Attention thejon93 and bryanss3.....stop the arguing and the name calling. Keep this thread on track.

I suggest the both of you just ignore each other from now on. That means don't bother replying to each other's posts about anything.
Thanks for deleting those last few posts, Lee.

I could see him play out a good Bullseye. But personally, I always felt that the character should be portrayed by somebody with the menace of Woody Harrelson from 'Natural Born Killers'.

Now that's an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"