Superman Returns why WB is so confident this time?

sf2

Superhero
Reaction score
Superman Lives was about this close to get into production but got chopped away. Superman Flyby by JJ Abram was praised marvelously by WB but trashcan is it's destination. Superman vs Batman, WB and Peterson are so in love with it and having all the casting in mind, but it still didn't materialised.

finally...

SUPERMAN RETURNS!!!

why is WB so confident this time and invest in an amount of $250mil into it, making it as one of the most expensive movies in the filming history?

you can sing all you want to now... :)

I do not know either. But I am going to the movie regardless.

I'm guessing they have faith in Singer as a filmmaker, and probably liked his pitch fairly well, or at least enough to deviate from their previous, more MTV-aimed or reinvention attempts .

Because they have Mr X2 behind it and they know he has a fanbase from it. I think that's the major reason.

because bryan singer is the f**king man and you know it!

I'm fairly confident this will be a great movie. Just the premise sells it. Then add the fact that Singer has two successful comic moives, and an amazing movie like Usual Suspects under his belt. I can't wait to see this damn movie!

Firstly, I think one of the big things was how Chris Nolan was/did handle Batman Begins. With BB, WB knew they had a hit on their hands over a year before it was a released. They, I think, realized what a giving a great director the freedom and money to do what he wants can do for a film. And how much money it can make.

Secondly, and definitely more importantly, Bryan Singer himself. Before you even talk about Singer's Superman concept, you have Singer himself. A director who has to his credit just not (what is generally thought of as) one of the greatest movies ever in The Usual Suspects, but also two excellently made blockbusters in X-Men 1 & 2.

Lastly, there's Singer's Superman movie concept itself. While many of us have lambasted it for just being another sequel, in truth it's really a rather original concept. Despite what we may say, this is the first film in a new series. Yet, it's not an origin, it's introduction, it's a return. With that return, it not only opens differently any other superhero franchise, it also delves deeper into sociological question than any superhero film before it. Does the world need Superman? Does the world need superheroes? That's something no other movie has yet asked.

I think it was those three main things that really sold it to WB.

CConn said:
Firstly, I think one of the big things was how Chris Nolan was/did handle Batman Begins. With BB, WB knew they had a hit on their hands over a year before it was a released. They, I think, realized what a giving a great director the freedom and money to do what he wants can do for a film. And how much money it can make.

Secondly, and definitely more importantly, Bryan Singer himself. Before you even talk about Singer's Superman concept, you have Singer himself. A director who has to his credit just not (what is generally thought of as) one of the greatest movies ever in The Usual Suspects, but also two excellently made blockbusters in X-Men 1 & 2.

Lastly, there's Singer's Superman movie concept itself. While many of us have lambasted it for just being another sequel, in truth it's really a rather original concept. Despite what we may say, this is the first film in a new series. Yet, it's not an origin, it's introduction, it's a return. With that return, it not only opens differently any other superhero franchise, it also delves deeper into sociological question than any superhero film before it. Does the world need Superman? Does the world need superheroes? That's something no other movie has yet asked.

That gives me hope in the film...that he'll approach it from that point of view and take the material seriously.

I think that Warner Bros., after all of the trouble that they went through, finally found their man. They probably thought that Singer has THE vision to carry out this project. I'm glad that Alan Horn, the new head of WB, is in charge. With this and Batman Begins, DC is back in the market.

i think singer is really damn f**king good. MCG asking for $200mil, WB kicked him out of the room right away and said it is too expensive. but they give singer $250mil without sweat.

Is he a troll? I mean, is he actually harrasing anyone here?

I still believe in the notion of just ignoring the ones that you don't get along with, ya know? It's not hard. :)

Octoberist said:
I still believe in the notion of just ignoring the ones that you don't get along with, ya know? It's not hard. :)

where's the fun in that? it gets boring like this:

Guy1 "Supes is cool."

Guy2 "He sure is..."

Guy1 "........."

Guy2 "...so.......are you a virgin?"

and so forth.

CConn said:

:up: Good points, well made.

Also, Warner Bros has been messing up Superman 5 for over a decade. There is no better time than to release it now, and they know it. If they stalled any longer they could miss the superhero movie craze altogether.

You HAVE to give the ULITMATE SUPERHERO OF THEM ALL the proper comeback party..JUST HAVE TO.

Octoberist said:
You HAVE to give the ULITMATE SUPERHERO OF THEM ALL the proper comeback party..JUST HAVE TO.

Yeah, get him good n drunk.

In my opinion:

I think they had all these ideas wich turned into being a process that led up to SR.

They had their idea for the movie: Superman Lives - The fans hated it. Now, they know with a caracter such as Superman, they're sitting with a gold mine begging to start with production.

First of there was the fear of comic book movie as all the Batmans didn't turn out that well till the last one killed it. Then came Bryan Singer With X-men and made every studio invest in some kind of a superhero movie.

With Smallville and early on Lois and Clark being shows that was basicly market research and to check if the world still wants to see Superman.

When this turned out great for them, they wanted to find the right formula to play their biggest card.
With Catwoman and BB, they also got a fair idea of what people want to see and don't want to see in the world of today.

Then along came the director that blew new breath into comic-book adaptations and pich for their movie.
He must've blew the away with his ideas and being through a production hell for 10 years give and take, they must have realised why they always had been unsucsessfull and drop all pre production to give it to mr Singer.

I believe they had done their research over this period of time and believe they are confident in playing their final card in the Superhero-adaptation for the reasons I stated above.

i also think that catwoman was a test. this movie was never ment to be big. this is just the way i am thinking.
and i stil think that changes are good.

why WB is so confident this time? Cause nobody does angst-ridden outcast misfit stories like Singer. WB knows teenagers eat that crap up. Make it a love story first and foremost, and the girlfriends will come as well. It's Superman, all the 10 year olds will be there. Lastly and most certainly least, most of the comic book fan base will go too, out of loyalty to the character.

With SR, WB has all there bases covered. Unfortuneatley the casual viewer is the target audience, otherwise I could be just as confident as WB.

I personally think thats how they shouldn't think about it...money..

It should be for the love of the craft and wanting to make a good movie..Thats why hollywood has lost it's way..money..

this movie has confidence because the Wb have something that we do not they have dailys..(footage from the day) they have oscar winner Kevin spacey, they have a great director and no doubt they must like what Brandon is doing.And the fact BB was the best movie of last year..well make your own conclusions.

my sentiments are exactly what everyone has already said--------> Bryan Singer is a very reliable filmmaker!

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
I personally think thats how they shouldn't think about it...money..

It should be for the love of the craft and wanting to make a good movie..Thats why hollywood has lost it's way..money..

this movie has confidence because the Wb have something that we do not they have dailys..(footage from the day) they have oscar winner Kevin spacey, they have a great director and no doubt they must like what Brandon is doing.And the fact BB was the best movie of last year..well make your own conclusions.
WAKE UP!
There's only one reason Hollywood makes movies anymore, $.
What would happen if they admitted this? Would it not hurt ticket sales? So don't expect Hollywood to admit it anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"