Will Marvel`s fear of change and age eventually destroy them?

Stop it! Don't dash the hopes of that one Iraqi who will one day be stable, with a less hectic everyday life. :(

the 25 million other Iraqis we've a'sploded will totally have been worth it.:up:

The USA: Destroying brown people in order to save them since 1776.

Those were more red than brown, according to the racism of the time.

We were also destroying black people to save them, with the minor side benefit of ensuring a steady supply of cheap agrarian labor. I figure together those even out to maybe sort of a reddish-brown.

blankly.jpg

LOL well dude i have actually been their, is not as bad as it used to be.

I dont think this is what is going to destory Marvel. Its going to be that they will continue to use large giant story archs that span over multiple books to bring in $$$. In my opinon, Marvel needs to take a break from those for a few years and focus more onthe characters in the titles themselves and develop them in their own storylines instead of using ones that require a bunch of superheroes fighting each other or a something so powerful they must band together and fight them.

I dont think this is what is going to destory Marvel. Its going to be that they will continue to use large giant story archs that span over multiple books to bring in $$$. In my opinon, Marvel needs to take a break from those for a few years and focus more onthe characters in the titles themselves and develop them in their own storylines instead of using ones that require a bunch of superheroes fighting each other or a something so powerful they must band together and fight them.

DC comics is doing the same thing, just not as sucessfully.

That's not going to happen until the big events stop selling so well. Secret Invasion and Final Crisis are right up at the top of the charts every month, so as far as Marvel's concerned, they've found a formula that works. Why mess with it?

The answer to this topic is simply no.

People want to read about Spider-Man, Batman, and all the other classics. Current comics will continue to be successful just as the Bond movies continued to be successful despite the time inconsistencies.

Besides who actually goes back and reads the Spidey comics of the 60's? Honestly. Let alone goes back and reads them and then reads a modern one and goes: "HOLD ON! THESE DON'T SEEM TO MATCH UP!!"

You'd have to be brain dead.

He thought about doing it one time. But to implement all the ideas he had he would have had to become Dr. Doom.

Just because you have the cure for cancer, doesn't mean a dumbass won't come up with a reason not to take it.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Thats just a cop out.

"Hmm I could give people all the technology i have accumulated over the years. But to do that...I would have to dominate them all and force them to use the technology bwaahahahah!!!"

Yes the guy might not take the cure for cancer, but you still give the poor dying wretch the choice. You don`t just say "he might not take it so I won`t let him have the cure. Him dying needlessly sure settles my conscience on the issue. Now to get the fantasticar to work faster...."

The answer to this topic is simply no.

People want to read about Spider-Man, Batman, and all the other classics. Current comics will continue to be successful just as the Bond movies continued to be successful despite the time inconsistencies.

Besides who actually goes back and reads the Spidey comics of the 60's? Honestly. Let alone goes back and reads them and then reads a modern one and goes: "HOLD ON! THESE DON'T SEEM TO MATCH UP!!"

You'd have to be brain dead.

So your arguement is that we should forget any comic over 2 years old (perhaps even burn them so as to get rid of the temptation completley) and just read brand new comics?

Are you an employee for marvel or dc?

Its simple. Writers write what they know and artist draw what they know. You got writers from the 70's,80's, and 90's,00's. Same with artist. So history is added by default. Explaining away why spiderman dressed like a hippie in issue 1 and now dresses like a normal person in 572 will bring up time.

But thats not really the issue is it. The issue is can these characters be aged and/or replaced. If Marvels readers were only the people who started with the comics, that would be fine. But a new reader isnt going to grasp a character the same way. Peter Parker is young so young people can enjoy his story. If spider-man was 50, do you honestly think a teenager is going to get him? Without a reset or re evaluation of the status quo, you make it harder for readers to relate(maybe even like) the original purpose of the characters. And what happens if marvel goes on for another 50 years?

By your logic, all the characters would be old and be replaced.

So really will your fear of the comic book world staying the same destroy your interest in comics? Even if you reboot or bring in a new player. Stories will be repeated and origins will get more complication.

Its simple. Writers write what they know and artist draw what they know. You got writers from the 70's,80's, and 90's,00's. Same with artist. So history is added by default. Explaining away why spiderman dressed like a hippie in issue 1 and now dresses like a normal person in 572 will bring up time.

But thats not really the issue is it. The issue is can these characters be aged and/or replaced. If Marvels readers were only the people who started with the comics, that would be fine. But a new reader isnt going to grasp a character the same way. Peter Parker is young so young people can enjoy his story. If spider-man was 50, do you honestly think a teenager is going to get him? Without a reset or re evaluation of the status quo, you make it harder for readers to relate(maybe even like) the original purpose of the characters. And what happens if marvel goes on for another 50 years?

By your logic, all the characters would be old and be replaced.

So really will your fear of the comic book world staying the same destroy your interest in comics? Even if you reboot or bring in a new player. Stories will be repeated and origins will get more complication.

I suppose that is the inevitable choice to be made:

1) Real Time. Characters age and grow and die. Our favorite characters pass on the mantle and retire breaking ouir hearts. Younger readers find it hard to relate to old spidey. Old viewers are disappointed when spidey retires after 40 years crimefighting. It is a risky route as the future longevity is not guaranteed but on the flip side it is fresh and always progressing; retcons, cheap stunts and copying are not as neccesary as the forever moving forwards policy prevents stagnation. More difficult to write as continuity is tighter and more relevance to in the moment issues is likely to be demanded.

2)Comic Time. Characters remain as timeless, icons. A thouasand generations can enjoy the adventures of Peter Parker. Characters can flourish and new writers can use the classic characters still in their prime 30 years on from their creation. But the reader has to watch as the character becomes a new youth generation`s icon while they age. The slowed time requires reboots, retcons and bizarre explanations to keep held together with an eventual retcon wiping out previous continuity becoming more and more likely as time progresses. New heroes will never be big time stars as the old icons will never leave and with finite space the older, merchandised iconic character will win out. Real lasting changes cannot occur so newer less popular characters are sacrificed to create shock moments while the iconic heroes linger on.

Peter Parker is young so young people can enjoy his story. If spider-man was 50, do you honestly think a teenager is going to get him?

this makes no sense whatsoever...you are saying the only reason people read Spider-man is because he's a teenager???? Peter hasnt been a teenager since the 80's and people still buy his book.
People miss the point and the point is this...Peter can be 17 or 35 or 110 years old and if the stories dont have the magic that makes Spider-man what he is then the stories will fail. He doesnt have to be regressed or demonically divorced to recapture that magic of Spider-man. Remind us why we love Spider-man. Polish up his rogues gallery....upgrade them all up so when you see that Spidey is up against the Rhino you wonder if he can pull it off. Move him out of Aunt May's place.Give him some natural upgrades. Peter is supposed to be a scientific genius but hasnt created anything new since his webspinners....bring back the Spider-clone's impact webbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"