Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Will Phil Coulson ever appear in the movies again?

So, you're suggesting that Coulson being alive should actually play into the plot of the film?

No thanks, I watched that story already on tv over the past several months.

And if you think that the non-geeks who don't watch the show (and some of them even skip the solo films) would be okay with a dead character showing up with a "Thats classified" excuse then you're kidding yourself.

So, you're suggesting that Coulson being alive should actually play into the plot of the film?

No thanks, I watched that story already on tv over the past several months.

And if you think that the non-geeks who don't watch the show (and some of them even skip the solo films) would be okay with a dead character showing up with a "Thats classified" excuse then you're kidding yourself.
But that's the point, it'd be great advertising for the show too. It'd make AOS even more popular

...and leave movie viewers confused and taken out of the story that they paid money for as it happens.

...and leave movie viewers confused and taken out of the story that they paid money for as it happens.
And doing it as a joke in a post credit scene that leaves viewers feeling robbed and really confused. At least my way solves most of those problems.

The general audience seems to love the lighthearted humor. It has become a trademark of the Marvel films to insert humor into dramatic scenes just to get a laugh out of people. While the diehards may want a deep conversation between Iron Man and Coulson, most people would be thrilled with just a brief scene that brings him back into the fold in a funny, yet sweet scene.

I believe the best way to do this in A:AOU would be for Coulson to go all Deadpool on us, break the fourth wall, look directly into the camera and go "Yup, I'm back. How, you ask? Marvel's Agents Of SHIELD, season 1. Now out on DVD!" :)

Last edited:
It wouldn't be that hard for Director Coulson to appear, reel off a quick line about Fury bringing him back, Avengers are pleased, then carry on. Everyone is up to speed, Coulson is back, SHIELD is back, continue

But again...the question is why do we really need that in a film with Black Widow, Hawkeye, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hulk, a bit of Fury...and that's just the good guys! Then you have Strucker, Ultron and any number of other bad guys. Why do we need Coulson to crowd the film even more?

But again...the question is why do we really need that in a film with Black Widow, Hawkeye, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hulk, a bit of Fury...and that's just the good guys! Then you have Strucker, Ultron and any number of other bad guys. Why do we need Coulson to crowd the film even more?

Son of Coul is not limited to 'The Avengers'
He could appear in a Ms Marvel, a Spider-Woman, Street Avengers, or any Netflix based spinoff/Movie. He'll appear when and where it makes sense.

Son of Coul is not limited to 'The Avengers'
He could appear in a Ms Marvel, a Spider-Woman, Street Avengers, or any Netflix based spinoff/Movie. He'll appear when and where it makes sense.

ABC don't have any rights to the AOS characters? am hoping there will be some cross over with the netflix and maybe visa versa.

i think the person was asking if ABC can restrict the characters from appearing in a marvel show run on a different network.. i dont think they can since Marvel owns the characters and is free to do as they please.. also ABC is owned by Disney, so there shouldnt be any issues

What they have to avoid is the Overexposure of the character, this is the priority

i think the person was asking if ABC can restrict the characters from appearing in a marvel show run on a different network.. i dont think they can since Marvel owns the characters and is free to do as they please.. also ABC is owned by Disney, so there shouldnt be any issues

It's a Marvel show. ABC pays for the show to broadcast. Even though it's essentially "in house" because the same company owns both, it isn't ABC's property just because they broadcast it. So I agree that they can't restrict the characters from appearing in other media. That being said, ABC might express concerns about doing so out of fear that it'll create confusion (I think network television vs. Netflix are sufficiently different that it won't, though).

That being said, I think there's already too much to squeeze into the Netflix series that it probably won't have much SHIELD at all.

*cough* Iron Man 3 *cough*

Coulson needs to be in the films. Not only is he the bridge between AoS and the MCU, for many, including me, he's an extension of the audience as well as lot of the heart of the Marvel universe. He's generated so much fan goodwill for a reason. We (the fans) brought the guy back to life and I wanna see him utilized as much as he can be.

It wouldnt need to be a massive movie length reintroduction regarding him being alive....look at the after credits scene on Wolverine. He thought Xavier was dead. Xavier says one sentence about it and its accepted...then it moves on....

Simples

gosh just reading this thread i didnt realize there are some Marvel fanboys who DOESNT WANT Coulson back in the movies. after all the hoopla over his demise at the end of Avengers one would think its practically mandatory that Coulson show up in the sequel. :funny:

but in any case, theres too many scenes in AOS of Coulson making an obvious statement that none of the Avengers be told of his resurrection. sure some might take that as Marvel's way of compartmentalizing (theres that word ;)) the TV universe with the Movie universe. but that makes zero sense for a studio who went through great lengths of creating a Coulson character that pretty much serves as the connective tissue to all these different moving parts. they bothered to go through the trouble of resurrecting him and then they wont use him to link the TV series (which could use a boost in ratings) with their high profile movies? yeahhhh i dont think so ;)

my gut tells me that Coulson-- now being a Director of SHIELD v2-- will be the guy essential to pulling the team back together. Fury kinda worn out his welcome mat with them with the whole Phase 2 brouhaha (plus the Hydra snafu)-- but Coulson? who can say no to Coulson? even Tony who is probably the most difficult to convince will jump back in in a heartbeat seeing Coulson alive again, and given that he's the new Director, would have SHIELD come across as a lot more trustworthy for the Avengers to agree working with them again.

This is assuming that they need someone to "pull the team back together". Bruce is on good terms with Tony. Steve is working with Natasha and Sam, presumably Clint if he ever showed up. Thor is showing up to Midgard on his own, but even Loki mentioned his "new friends". Stark Tower has been renamed Avengers Tower. I think they realize they're a team regardless of who's in charge or whether they still all actually like each other.

I think it could be interesting in future installments though about where their loyalties lie. Policing the earth and galaxy might be more work than they realize so I know some would welcome the help of a new SHIELD, but then, others would still be distrustful and then conflicted because it is Coulson in charge. SWORD might deliciously complicate things even further.

I don't know if Coulson will be in Avengers: Age of Ultron, I hope so, but I'm sure he'll show up again in Phase Three.

Anyway, for sure, B.J. Britt is spotted on the set of Age of Ultron...so, the agent Antoine Triplett will be in the movie.

^
i think this was proven to be wrong

Wut?! seriously? çAç

didn't seen any denial in internet, some articles about?

Last edited:
I completely agree with a lot of the other posters. I'm certain Coulson will show up in Age of Ultron, even if it hasn't been announced or anything. The way they kept mentioning that the Avengers didn't know he was alive, and he wanted to tell them himself, just seems like too much of a pointer to him being back. He is an Avenger after all ;) Though, I'm not sure how much we will see him. Maybe we will get glimpses of him and his team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"