Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If a Coulson knew Captain Marvel,why didn't he ever mention her in the show?

GBaxter

Civilian
Reaction score
If Fury and Coulson met and knew Carol Danvers, since Phil never mentioned her in the AoS show and where in outer or inner space she disappeared to (which I'm sure the ending of Cap Marvel will explain) for over 20 years, it's possible Fury may tell Phil in the film, to keep her identity secret.

The real answer: because Captain Marvel wasn't written/in production so AoS writers could not have known the depths of the character's involvement or how would play out. Clark Gregg only started filming it this past April, most likely after he finished filming the previous season of AoS. The writers probably weren't privy to pre-production detail of the film and had no way to reliably know how to reference it in season 5. Besides it takes place like 15 years before the start of the series there's no reason to bring it up unless it plays into the current story.

The in-continuity answer: Why would he? It was well established in Iron Man 1 that Coulson had seen superheroes before and even covered up for them (Think the "not our first rodeo" scene) just because he didn't sit down and list off every character he's already met in the pilot episode doesn't mean it won't make sense when he does. Heck even even alluded to knowing about the existence of a previous Ghost Rider after Robbie left in the middle of season 4.

The real question why didn't he know about the Kree when they had an presence in the show since season 1? But it's possible that T.A.H.I.T.I. erased those memories.

Though this is all speculation until the film comes out and when find out what he knew.

We don't know what happens in Captain Marvel yet. Maybe he has his mind wiped?

Maybe Coulson is actually Mar-Vell and didn't want to say anything. :o

Maybe Coulson is actually Mar-Vell and didn't want to say anything. :o
Does anyone remember when people thought he was. I think they thought Walter Lawson's first name was Phil so they said Phil Lawson --> Phil Coulson. It was all nonsense, but it was fun speculation.

Does anyone remember when people thought he was. I think they thought Walter Lawson's first name was Phil so they said Phil Lawson --> Phil Coulson. It was all nonsense, but it was fun speculation.

I remembered that, which is why I mentioned it. Who is Phil Lawson and where did that come from?

Maybe he's Phil-Vell. :o

Maybe the Phil Coulson that meets Captain Marvel isn't actually Phil Coulson, but instead a Skrull? I've no doubt that [that actual] Phil Coulson is involved in some manner, but he may not actually meet Carol himself.

I mean, we know for a fact he had his memory rewritten. It happened between Avengers and Agents of SHIELD.
Yeah. but he still has memories of the events prior to project TAHITI. He just can't initially remember the TAHITI process. Why would they specifically wipe Coulson's memories of Captain Marvel when he remembers the Avengers, Loki and his sceptre?

I think we need a little more context. When the film is released, someone out there will come up with a perfectly reasonable theory as to why Coulson remembers or doesn't remember what and how

AoS and Agent Carter are the only shows I consider canon because they do more than reference the movies, they share characters and Coulson is one of those characters

He kept most of his past pretty close to his chest. He told Tony Stark that he was not his first Rodeo pretty early on, but even on Agents of SHIELD most of the stuff we learned about his past was in flashbacks or very vague references. We also don't know how much he even experiences in Captain Marvel or how much he'd know. There's no reason to assume that he has any experiences with blue Kree in the movie at all.

The thing about the first rodeo line to Mr. Stark and his advanced technology Coulson owns a vintage flying car. A powered armored suit is in the same league, another rodeo, extra terrestrial beings with uber powers is something else entirely.

Yeah. but he still has memories of the events prior to project TAHITI. He just can't initially remember the TAHITI process. Why would they specifically wipe Coulson's memories of Captain Marvel when he remembers the Avengers, Loki and his sceptre?
In season 1 they showed that Coulson was the head of the TAHITI project and his memories were erased of that. So, I think it's an easy out, if they want it.

But we also know he forgot all of the TAHITI process, including discussions that were well in advance of it. I don't know why that couldn't include all references to the Kree.

This is always going to be a problem the longer the MCU goes, the more characters/movies that are introduced there are obviously going to be a lot of inconsistencies across the board. In the original Avengers Fury states that the reason for developing weapons with the Tesseract was largely because of Thor, yet from what we're hearing Captain Marvel is going to be presented as having comparable strength levels so surely knowledge of her power levels plus the likes of the Hulk being on the loose for years prior should have been what prompted them rather than Thor.

The easiest answer to this question is that the Phil Coulson in AOS was a Skrull sleeper agent all along. Sometime after the events of Captain Marvel, the real Agent Coulson was taken captive by the Skrulls and replaced with a doppelganger. My guess is that the switch was made between Thor and The Avengers since Thor's arrival on Earth caused SHIELD to experimentation with the Tesseract, which Thor claimed alerted alien races that Earth was "...ready for a higher form of war."

Once the Skrulls detected the Tesseract's power signature, they abducted the real Coulson and replaced him with a warrior who had been genetically altered to appear identical to a human down to the cellular level. Skrull!Coulson also had Real!Coulson's memories implanted in his mind and his own memories repressed. The doppelganger's shapeshifting and genetic changes prevented him from transforming back into his natural form when Loki killed him and also allowed him to be revived by the infusion of Kree blood/serum that reanimated him. His lack of a family and assignment to work with the AOS team helped his cover because very few people knew him well enough to detect the scam.

Unfortunately, the Skrull commanders never activated Skrull!Coulson for some reason, leaving him to his fate on Earth. The real Phil Coulson remains locked in a cryo-vault on the Skrull throneworld, awaiting the day when someone, anyone, realizes that he's been replaced.

And that's how the real Agent Coulson can return to the present-day MCU. :crso:

My take on the skrull idea is to just have it be that skrulls share a mental link with everyone they copy to have use of their memories and work as sleeper agents, allowing the mental link to keep the real person, whose in stasis somewhere else, in charge, living the life, until the skrull's activated.

Coulson is a forgetful chap.

But we also know he forgot all of the TAHITI process, including discussions that were well in advance of it. I don't know why that couldn't include all references to the Kree.
I'm not saying it couldn't, but why would that also wipe his memories of Captain Marvel? It's clearly only Project TAHITI that is wiped from his memory.

Sure, but Project TAHITI involved experimenting on a Kree. Maybe the memory erasing process wasn't precise enough. Same reason that Joel Barish forgot the song "Oh My Darling, Clementine."

I think we need a little more context. When the film is released, someone out there will come up with a perfectly reasonable theory as to why Coulson remembers or doesn't remember what and how

AoS and Agent Carter are the only shows I consider canon because they do more than reference the movies, they share characters and Coulson is one of those characters
Yeah, those are the only ones acknowledged in some way by sharing characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"