Will using Premium gas make a difference for my car, or will regular gas work?

Shpati

Civilian
Reaction score
I drive a Toyota Corolla 2009, not the sport version.

I have been using Premium gas since I bought it, thinking it will make a difference.

Will using premium gas make a difference for my car? Does it last longer? Is it better for the car?

Will I be ok saving a little money and using the cheapest gas (regular)?

My car is a v4.

Check the owners manual, it will tell you the preferred octane. Chances are a Corolla will be fine on regular (87). Premium octane is used for higher performance vehicles and I don't think Corolla's fit in that category.

Check the owners manual, it will tell you the preferred octane. Chances are a Corolla will be fine on regular (87). Premium octane is used for higher performance vehicles and I don't think Corolla's fit in that category.

Is regular 87? I thought regular was the cheapest one, which is 83 in my gas stations.

83 - 87 - 93, is how i remember it.

EDIT: K, I just read my owner's manuel. I says Fuel Type: (87, [research Octane 93] or higher).

I am guessing that means 87 is fine?

Last edited:
There's a ton of different octane ratings but the common ones are 87, 89 and 93. I think it all depends on the station and state.

If the book says 87, you should be fine.

There's a ton of different octane ratings but the common ones are 87, 89 and 93. I think it all depends on the station and state.

If the book says 87, you should be fine.
Thank you runawayboulder! :yay: :woot:

I really appreciate. :yay: :woot:

Usually it's only the higher performance engines that require the higher octane. Also, the '09 Corolla would be an inline 4, not a V4. V engines start at 6 and go up in even intervals, V6, V8, V10, V12.

Unless you have a fancy sports car, and I'm talking Ferrari or Lambo etc, regular will be fine.

This is another reason why a fancy sports car is a money drain. Not only is the car expensive (and insurance too), but even gas and maintenance is more expensive. :funny:

Stick with the 87 octane. Your car's ECU (Engine Control Unit) is programmed with the use of 87 octane. Higher grade fuels burn slower (but also burn hotter) and could actually decrease your MPG and the performance of your engine over time.

I went to a BP the other night where every other gas option was unavailable except premium. I was certain it had to be some kind of scam.

I went to a BP the other night where every other gas option was unavailable except premium. I was certain it had to be some kind of scam.
Regular and mid-grade are the two most popular sellers. This means they run out the fastest.

You should stick with 87, but using the higher grades ones every once in a while can help clean the gunk out of your engine.

Man... I have been using the highest since I bought this car in 2009 thinking it will be better for the car.

Not I learn 87 is just as fine. I could have said thousands of dollars probably.

You should stick with 87, but using the higher grades ones every once in a while can help clean the gunk out of your engine.

No, don't do that. When you put a higher octane in there, the engine will run hotter. Your engine's settings will change and on top of the extra bit of money you paid for that premium gas, you'll probably lose mpg on that fill-up as well.

No, don't do that. When you put a higher octane in there, the engine will run hotter. Your engine's settings will change and on top of the extra bit of money you paid for that premium gas, you'll probably lose mpg on that fill-up as well.

I've only done it a few times, and I got more MPG. I don't do it often, last time was probably 2009.

Really? Hmm, I'm sure with continued premium fill-ups, you'd eventually see the decline.

I'm from Holland so I don't really know about cars that much because I use the train. But I think you can use it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"