Windows 10

So $119 for a future upgrade? :o

Started the update on Friday, but it ended up getting stuck at 99%. Should I even bother trying to get it finished (it would still be free since I started before deadline), or just stick with Windows 7? I wanted to at least try it since you get a month to go back.

I decided to miss the free offer deal (that ended on July 29th) and stick with Win 7. I am perfectly happy with it and I am on the "if it's not broken..." side of things.

According to some of the articles that I have read, Microsoft has admitted that it is impossible to turn of all of the spyware.
Takes some brute force with reg edits, but it's not impossible.

There is an article on pcworld.com that says that there will be an anniversary update in about a week that will prevent Cortana from being turned off.
It's a little ****** since they're merging regular computer search with Cortana, but at least you can turn off the web search and history stuff from it. Also, if you opted not to create an account for MS, then the feature won't work.

Even more things you can't turn off. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/
This is probably the biggest thing since it makes Pro the Home version. It's a really ******** move when Pro is meant as a middle ground. They basically neutered it.

The biggest misstep MS took with the upgrade system to W10 was the forced updates for people that wanted to hold off. There are a few people I know, where they stopped the upgrade to W10 due to their business, and even when they prevented it, MS decided to upgrade anyway and they lost all their files. Luckily, they were able to roll back due to having backups, but it created a lot of unnecessary headaches.

They had to keep their promise of a billion by 2018 somehow. :o

Microsoft....we're not Apple, but damned if we won't try our best to be.

The biggest misstep MS took with the upgrade system to W10 was the forced updates for people that wanted to hold off. There are a few people I know, where they stopped the upgrade to W10 due to their business, and even when they prevented it, MS decided to upgrade anyway and they lost all their files. Luckily, they were able to roll back due to having backups, but it created a lot of unnecessary headaches.

Can you please elaborate on this (as I am not familiar with the Win 10 privacy stuff) ? How exactly do you lose your files if you stop upgrading Win 10? Do they simply delete what you own on your HDD? If that's true, it's simply ridiculous.

They had to keep their promise of a billion by 2018 somehow. :o
They already said they won't hit that target and put the blame on their lack of mobile growth. lol

Can you please elaborate on this (as I am not familiar with the Win 10 privacy stuff)?
The privacy stuff is located in settings and mostly everything can be turned off. For the things that can't, you have to edit the registry to disable them. If you do EXPRESS installation, MS will turn all of this crap on by default.

How exactly do you lose your files if you stop upgrading Win 10? Do they simply delete what you own on your HDD? If that's true, it's simply ridiculous.
From reports, it has happened to a very small portion of customers, but doing an OS update/upgrade shouldn't do this.

As for my friends that experienced this, for whatever reason, the upgrade pushed itself automatically when they didn't want it, and then didn't complete. I assume what happened was the update didn't finish, so W10 reinstalled itself. This happened to them after hours at work, so they didn't know this until the next day. Luckily, they keep constant backups for their business and were able to roll back.

MS was very intent on converting W7/8.1 users to W10 that even when people declined the update or held off on updating (for whatever reason, such as waiting for program compatibility), MS pushed the update anyway without their consent. They also started to use deceptive practices as well with turning the X (close) in the top corner as agreeing to upgrade. It's been a **** show.

TLDR:

Try to have a backup or two just in case.

The one and only time I know it happened (but it must have happened more than once) is a woman whose business was run off her computer lost some files because the upgrade was incompatible with her software. No one I have heard about lost everything in a Windows 10 upgrade yet. She sued and won in court which is about the only reason it made it into the news.

The one and only time I know it happened (but it must have happened more than once) is a woman whose business was run off her computer lost some files because the upgrade was incompatible with her software. No one I have heard about lost everything in a Windows 10 upgrade yet. She sued and won in court which is about the only reason it made it into the news.
The point is it shouldn't happen during an official update/upgrade pushed by the company and you shouldn't be forced to upgrade when you don't want to, aren't ready, or whatever.

As a guy who works at best buy I know this happens sooo often. It's the number 1 complaint about the operating system.

They already said they won't hit that target and put the blame on their lack of mobile growth. lol

The privacy stuff is located in settings and mostly everything can be turned off. For the things that can't, you have to edit the registry to disable them. If you do EXPRESS installation, MS will turn all of this crap on by default.

From reports, it has happened to a very small portion of customers, but doing an OS update/upgrade shouldn't do this.

As for my friends that experienced this, for whatever reason, the upgrade pushed itself automatically when they didn't want it, and then didn't complete. I assume what happened was the update didn't finish, so W10 reinstalled itself. This happened to them after hours at work, so they didn't know this until the next day. Luckily, they keep constant backups for their business and were able to roll back.

MS was very intent on converting W7/8.1 users to W10 that even when people declined the update or held off on updating (for whatever reason, such as waiting for program compatibility), MS pushed the update anyway without their consent. They also started to use deceptive practices as well with turning the X (close) in the top corner as agreeing to upgrade. It's been a **** show.

TLDR:

Try to have a backup or two just in case.

This happened to a computer where I work. The computer was the boiler control computer. The boiler man was out of the room when the Windows 10 update started running on the computer and when he got back he couldn't stop it. And the boiler control software wasn't compatible with Windows 10 and it was 1 o'clock in the morning so he couldn't call anyone. He had to wait 5 hours without any ability to control the boiler. I don't need to tell you how dangerous that is. So yeah Microsoft and their forced updates can go to bad place.

Last edited:
This happened to a computer where I work. The computer was the boiler control computer. The boiler man was out of the room when the Windows 10 update started running on the computer and when he got back he couldn't stop it. And the boiler control software wasn't compatible with Windows 10 and it was 1 o'clock in the morning so he couldn't call anyone. He had to wait 5 hours without any ability to control the boiler. I don't need to tell you how dangerous that is. So yeah Microsoft and their forced updates can go to bad place.
Holy ****. I didn't even think of software like that.

Unrelated to the W10 update, is there no backup to the system if the servers or the main computer crashes?

my computer died and i've finally had to buy a new one... that has Windows 10 :(

Tiger Direct sells older computers, some of which have Window's 7. They come from businesses.

DAYUM I've only seen one forced install. It was at the hotels I was guarding. The Guest computers ran 7, and one night they both installed 10.
Like I keep saying, I'm happy with 10. I do miss things from every generation of windows tho lol

Last edited:
Tiger Direct sells older computers, some of which have Window's 7. They come from businesses.

thanks for the tip!
the one i bought is downgradeable to 7, which was one of the things that put me over on getting it, and i'm pretty sure i still have the discs/keys around here somewhere if i need to but,

... i don't completely hate W10 so far. i hate cortana, deactivated it, and i disabled every data mining option that i could find.
i'm trying to be positive here and give it a shot. i haven't downloaded any apps yet except Fitbit lol and i've gone old school through websites to download programs that i had before lol. i don't know if that even matters but ha lol

there's some stuff i forgot to transfer from my old computer to my new one, so i'm going to have to hook the old one up again sometime soon and hope it's still turning on. i'll have to unhook this one to use the monitor at least, which will be a pain, or can i just plug in a usb from one to the other to connect? lol

If the hard drive still works you could also install it in the new computer if the old one won't work. Install it as a slave to the one that came with the computer and either use it for storage or transfer what you want. Provided there is room in the new computer, some computers have cases that are too small.

i think the case might be too small this time as it's much smaller of a minitower than the other, but that's a great idea for me to look into. Thanks!

I got Windows 10 when I bought my new desktop and so far I haven't had any problems with it. I tried reverting the start menu back to the Windows 7 version (which was fine), but I kinda got used to the Windows 10 look.

I went back to Windows 7 on my new work computer. It wasn't jarring, but it took a while to get used to it again. I eventually was able to upgrade it to 10, and I like both just fine. I do prefer being able to link my phone notifications with my PC on 10, though.

No problems here with Win 10 at work and home.

Will be building a gaming system this holiday and will probably go with 10 (I still have my Win 7 disc from MSDNAA just in case).

Pro-tip for disabling the auto-update/restart ******** because active hours is stupid:

Use regedit

• Go to KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
  • IF the folder is not there, create one WindowsUpdate and another key for AU inside of the folder.
  • Create new a 32-bit DWORD
  • Name it NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and set its value to 1
  • Reboot
Since doing this last month, I've had a much better experience with W10.

Slashdot has links to a new development. Microsoft is taking over control of driver installation for those who buy games through their store. They automatically install the drivers they choose whether you want them or not.

Slashdot has links to a new development. Microsoft is taking over control of driver installation for those who buy games through their store. They automatically install the drivers they choose whether you want them or not.
Huh. Well, good thing all of my games are on Steam and Origin, or are DRM-free with GOG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"