Wireless Router question

That's what I was thinking, so what steps do I need to take for that not to happen.

(When I say that's what I was thinking I mean the 3rd grade equivalent of what you just said.)

What operating system does your PC run?

jag

Follow these instructions, but on Step 8, DE-select the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" checkbox.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

If you discover that box is already de-selected, then we've got a different problem. My guess is that it's enabled, though.

jag

If that computer is sharing it's internet connection, it could be causing the problem you are seeing because when the computer comes online the Xbox is now getting signals from it over your internal network that it is providing internet access in addition to the connection your router provides, which could "confuse" the Xbox over which device it should be using directly for it's internet connection: your PC or the router. It could make your Xbox drop it's current connection and then get lost between the two competing internet connection providing devices, never really connecting to one or the other.

jag

Can I assume its a standard router used as a switch...all devices hooked to it, and its hooked to your net connection?

If I assume that, and the configuration of DNS and DHCP and the like, are correct, I dont think its the above. TCP\IP and the standard stack should have nave problems routing out the default gateway, which should be the routers connection.

I have more a thought its something on the PC...
Is this PC used to browse plenty of websites? Might you believe it has virus...spyware...ect?

Those, once on a machine can really hog a network.

Can I assume its a standard router used as a switch...all devices hooked to it, and its hooked to your net connection?

If I assume that, and the configuration of DNS and DHCP and the like, are correct, I dont think its the above. TCP\IP and the standard stack should have nave problems routing out the default gateway, which should be the routers connection.

Is this PC used to browse plenty of websites? Might you believe it has virus...spyware...ect?

I've read that having internet sharing enabled on a Windows box sharing the network with an Xbox 360 can cause this kind of behavior, thus my suspicion. Could also be virus or spyware as you are suggesting as well.

jag

I've read that having internet sharing enabled on a Windows box sharing the network with an Xbox 360 can cause this kind of behavior, thus my suspicion. Could also be virus or spyware as you are suggesting as well.

jag

Yeah, this was my first thought after I actually talked to Comcast about the telephony modem I have hooked up here (The phone line is run through the same modem, could that be an issue as well?) but they assured me that it wasn't an issue and offered to hook my house up with wireless....for a fee. But yeah, my comp has had all types of issues, it's 5-6 years old and I've noticed significant slowdown. I've run Spybot and I have McAfee scanning and checking constantly for virus, however, I've been getting some Virtual Memory too low warnings more often, even before I got the router. I was thinking of upgrading my RAM but that seems like a bandage rather than an actual solution.

Internet Sharing...
That should never be on....unless the machine is running two network cards...with a machine (for instance your xbox) is behind it, using the outbound nic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"