Would anyone like to see a CGI 'POPEYE' movie?

I was never clamoring for Popeye anyway, I'm glad he's doing something original instead.

That's the silver lining, isn't it? His other passion project.

He walked out the door along with my interest in this, funny how that works.

I'm not that upset. I feel like Popeye was a waste of his talents. Now he can do something new.

Sounds like Popeye is still happening, just not in the direction of Genndy. That's not a good thing.

I can't be the only one sitting here really wondering when they're going to make Samurai Jack...

http://www.thewrap.com/hotel-transy...he-wont-return-for-third-movie-two-is-enough/

What happened with “Popeye?”
We made a version that we were happy with, and the studio didn’t like that version. It’s still a mystery for me that they didn’t like that version. They wanted to do “Popeye” for the brand recognition and I loved the character and grew up with it, so there was a tug of war. They wanted it really updated, and I can only update it a little before it isn’t “Popeye” anymore. To be truthful, it was in the middle of the Sony hack and the studio was really struggling. It was just really bad timing.

Yeah, I hate that he got stuck dealing with Sony in the middle of that.

Honestly, I'm glad it worked out that way. Genndy is back on Samurai Jack now, which was never formally finished.

I love Tartakovsky, and I would've gladly seen this movie. However, I had little interest in seeing a new CG animated Popeye movie at all. I'd trade that any day for more Samurai Jack.

If it's happening, I hope Genndy gets to do it.

So looks like I’m necro-ing this thread, but the fully voiced animatic for the entire film of the scrapped Popeye movie leaked onto YouTube. Sony has taken it down multiple places but in the time it was up I managed to watch it. Honestly, looking at the fully animated clip posted years ago, it’d have been a lot of fun. Of course you don’t get the full feel since it’s a lot of still images, but if that test clip was anything to go by, they’d have nailed it. Never been a huge Popeye fan but I appreciated it, enjoyed it even, and I still hope Genndy gets to finish this project someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"