The Dark Knight Writer's strike

abcdefz

Civilian
Reaction score
....so I wonder how the writer's strike will affect the shoot, especially since some of the Hong Kong work can't be done and, theoretically, they would have to write around it.

I'm assuming the Nolans are in the Guild.

Oddly enough -- if I remember right -- part of the reason the shooting script for Burton's first Batman movie was kind of a mess was because it was re-written during a strike.

Anyway.

(Maybe this gets folded into the filming thread, but it's not news, exactly. But whatever works -- merge it if you need to.)

....so I wonder how the writer's strike will affect the shoot, especially since some of the Hong Kong work can't be done and, theoretically, they would have to write around it.

I'm assuming the Nolans are in the Guild.

Oddly enough -- if I remember right -- part of the reason the shooting script for Burton's first Batman movie was kind of a mess was because it was re-written during a strike.

Anyway.

(Maybe this gets folded into the filming thread, but it's not news, exactly. But whatever works -- merge it if you need to.)

Why would it affect the shoot? The people in charge of the quality of The Dark Knight are the Brothers Nolan. You think Jonah Nolan will say "F**K You" to his own brother, and not re-write something for him? Even if Jonah did hypothetically, Chris, our director, can re-write his own ****.

the script was completed long ago.

The only thing that may hurt his production is if actors join picket lines during production like what is happening here in NYC with 30 rock and other shows therefore stopping production all together.

We should all be good though. If the nolan's are part of the WGA(and im sure they are)they are mandated to picket 20 hours a week per union rules!!!!

That should be interesting

If you're in the Guild and write during a strike, you can get kicked out of the Guild.

If you're not in the Guild, you can't work on a Union shoot. It's not just a matter of loyalty to a brother or a project or your own project, it's about being able to continue a career in Hollywood.

TDK is not in limbo. It will be released as planned.

The strike involving the Writer's Guild has only affected television at the moment. Depending on how the negotiations go, it won't affect Hollywood films (if it does at all) until July of 2008, when the contracts for SAG and the DGA also expire. If no agreement is reached by then with the WGA, then movies will have a problem.

Either way, TDK is way outside of that window and in the clear considering that it comes out in July and would have to have been completed before that.

Well, I don't think writer's strike will affect this movie. At all. It'll affect JLA.

the script was completed long ago.

Right -- except for any necessary re-writes because the Hong Kong scenes have been compromised. That's all I'm saying. It's really bad timing.

Well, the writers would have to prove WHEN he wrote the new scenes. If he did before Monday he's ok. If he writes it after then and futz's the timeline how is anyone gonna be able to prove it.

Let me play devil's advocate before someone else does: So why don't the rest of the writers that want to work do the same?

Simple - buisness deals. Technically you can write whatever u want durign the strike. You just can't sell/give it to anyone. The TDK deal for the script is already done. There's no way to prove on paper if he re-wrote a scene or not.

They'll be fine.

- Jow

At this point, I doubt there are any changes that need to be made to the script. Especially since they seem to just be doing stunts and such right now.

Well, I don't think writer's strike will affect this movie. At all. It'll affect JLA.
Which will be a good thing. That movie needs to not happen.:o (not until after Batman 3 anyway)

Well, the writers would have to prove WHEN he wrote the new scenes. If he did before Monday he's ok. If he writes it after then and futz's the timeline how is anyone gonna be able to prove it.

Let me play devil's advocate before someone else does: So why don't the rest of the writers that want to work do the same?

Simple - buisness deals. Technically you can write whatever u want durign the strike. You just can't sell/give it to anyone. The TDK deal for the script is already done. There's no way to prove on paper if he re-wrote a scene or not.

They'll be fine.

- Jow

There is nothing to worry about. Jow is right. First they only have a few weeks left of shooting, and yea the re-writes won't be noticed or considered. I don't even know if Jonathan is part of the WGA. But regaurdless it really does not effect Hollywood that much. Most of the scripts for like Bond 22 were completed and they may do re-writes of small scenes if they have all ready been sumbited since it is part of a writers contract.

But what really sucks is my fav shows are being effected. The Daily Show and Colbert Report will not come back on till the strike is over. So hopefully it does not last too long.

they probably will not strike for long...i have a feeling a deal will be struck soon enough...when the complaints of the countless amount of couch potatoes and loss of ratings due to ppl transferring over to more computer entertainment begin to roll in.

They'll be fine.

- Jow
Agree as well. Although, it would be a bit difficult to write when you're supposed to be picketing....

I think we LA people should have done our Joker shenanigans this week. It would have been hilarious to actually participate in the strike in front of WB studios dressed up as Joker. :woot:

And I think this strike should end better than last time, since a lot of producers and cast members are honoring it and essentially stopping production on A LOT of shows. Good for them for taking a stand! :up:

from CNN

"The strike will not immediately impact production of movie or prime-time TV programs. Most studios have stockpiled dozens of movie scripts, and television shows have enough scripts or completed shows in hand to last until early next year."

The strike will have positive effect on some shows, especially Smallville. That show needs to be fixed. Super-Lana?

Right...........

What about "Shadow of the Bat"... will that all be on sqedule... ie: 3 years we get movie... 1 1/2 we get talks of new sequel and such...

im thinking the strike will be over before tdk even hits the theatres so shadow should not be affected

Agree as well. Although, it would be a bit difficult to write when you're supposed to be picketing....

I think we LA people should have done our Joker shenanigans this week. It would have been hilarious to actually participate in the strike in front of WB studios dressed up as Joker. :woot:

And I think this strike should end better than last time, since a lot of producers and cast members are honoring it and essentially stopping production on A LOT of shows. Good for them for taking a stand! :up:

LMAO - I will personally mail $20 to anyone who takes a pic in Joker garb/makeup in front of the WGA strike pickets and gets it on to WSS.

- Jow

Well, being a failed movie scriptwriter/scumbag myself I cannot sympathise with these people and am willing to scab out to the bosses of Warner Bros. for as little as £5 an hour! Sure, I lack any concept of plot or character development and my political subtexts could be called "threatening" or "ignorant" but when you're desperate you've got to take what you can get.

*tear...*

You make The Joker so proud.

I know some people think that the writers strike is gonna put a stop to any and all film and television for the rest of the year and into halfway through 2008, but I disagree. Personally, I'm not sure I'm going to apply for the DGA, which I'm not sure I qualify for anyways considering I write my own screenplays. Guilds and Unions aren't my thing anyhow, so yeah.
TV really isn't that great anyways, so it's not going to affect me in any form, so honestly, all this writer's strike nonsense is just an minor annoyance on my radar. :o My roommate watches a ton of TV, so he;s following the strike carefully, whilst I just dismiss it all as hot air. What's the benefit of being in the WGA if you're not getting paid enough?

Well, being a failed movie scriptwriter/scumbag myself I cannot sympathise with these people and am willing to scab out to the bosses of Warner Bros. for as little as £5 an hour! Sure, I lack any concept of plot or character development and my political subtexts could be called "threatening" or "ignorant" but when you're desperate you've got to take what you can get.

As a screenwriter myself if you ever want some feedback on how to improve your scripts - drop me a line and I'll drop ya one back.

- Jow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"