How the Writers' Strike Affects Filming

Discussion in 'X-Men 1, 2 & 3' started by narrows101, Nov 9, 2007.

1. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

Fascinating article on the writer's stirke, how it works and what's going on.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117975666.html?categoryId=2520&cs=1

2. the a1ant

the a1ant Awesome

I hope the final script is amazing, and in no need for touch-ups during production :up:

3. MattC

MattC Guest

I think some people might be glad if "executive changes" are not made as well.

4. usagicassidy

usagicassidy Registered

Amen.

5. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

Weird, i figured there'd be mostly old style stunts in a Wolverine movie.

6. Congo Jack

Congo Jack Chad Sexington

I thought so as well, considering Wolverine is more 'down to earth' than the X-Men. Bit of a pity, that.

7. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

I'm guessing they mean fire effects and such.

8. YJ1

YJ1 Armed and Dangerous

Honestly, that's NO big loss.

Screw them. They should replace or tweak things at their leisure. If they don't like it, tough. Follow through with your commitments or else don't whine about people that care enough to work hard for a living. Freelance work should NEVER have been unionized.

They need to take a page from history and fire every writer (ALA the air traffic controllers of the 1980's) and hire them out for individual jobs IF they ever want to work again.

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

I don't think you get it YJ1.

Either way, directors, producers, and non-WGA aren't legally allowed to tweak scripts while they are in production.

And if they do any of the things you suggest, they will be blackballed or blacklisted by the Union and then they definitely will never work again.

10. YJ1

YJ1 Armed and Dangerous

I know busting the writers union is far fetched because, unlike the air traffic controllers, their work isn't a "peril to national safety" but I like to vent.

As for the ability of directors and producers to tweak, that's an extremely gray area. Actors add lib all the time, just don't put it on paper and no one would have the basis for any legal action or complaining at all. It WILL happen. Hiring non-WGA people would be a serious problem, however.

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Scripts have already been locked and approved for these movies by the WGA. If changes are made, THEY WILL KNOW IT.

Also, if it's that bad then the studios should just give the writers WHAT THEY DESERVE.

Here's the thing guys. The reason studios aren't hiring writers to pick-up where the other writers and show-runners have stopped is because they at least know it's wrong. They hope the strike will end and everyone will pick up where they left off.

Any writers that were hired in the interim that were non-WGA would be immediately hated by the WGA and the WGA would do their hardest to make sure those guys never get work again after the strike is over.

12. danoyse

Exactly. They'll be blacklisted and kept out of the WGA when the strike is over, and that doesn't help any of them in the long run.

13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

That's why it's in everyone's best interest to work this out and put an end to the strike as quickly as possible.

The writers are NOT being unreasonable with their demands.

14. danoyse

I competely support them. They're not being unreasonable at all.

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

It simply annoys me when people act like the writers are being whiney *****es or something and that they should cow-tow to the studios if they want to work again, or crap like that.

Make no mistake, the writers WILL be working again when this is all over. The studios can't simply fire them and hire new show-runners.

16. danoyse

I think a lot people just think they make tons of money already--they really don't. About 1% of them actually make that $200,000 per year salary. Most make about as much as a high school teacher.

It's just common sense: they should be receiving residuals for what the networks stream online, or sell on iTunes. They sell the ads, they're making money. Why should it be any different than airing a show on TV with commercials?

17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Because that's more money the beancounters, lawyers, and accountants that run the studios get to keep.

That's part of the problem. The people in charge never went to film school. Most of them are beancounters or lawyers. They aren't creative types.

18. danoyse

Exactly. They like it much better when they don't have to share.

19. Yellow Cyclone

Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

i lol'd

20. Rac

Rac Deadite

"Luxury" :woot:

(And they got it wrong in the article; "X-Men pics", ehh. It should be X-Men 3)

21. narrows101

narrows101 Guest

Nothing new, but can someone explain to me what the writer's strike has to do with this?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/834/834519p1.html

22. spideyboy_1111

spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

ahh but there allowed to cut things out ;) in production... they just physically can't change the script

23. Hush

Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

I think the visual effects they are talking about are things like pre-vis.

24. the a1ant

the a1ant Awesome

I believe it means that the script is not very descriptive on the action sequences in the film, so the VFX guys will take over and create those parts of the film themselves. They won't have to rely on a writer to have the sequences written out.

I think the good thing going for Wolverine, is that it won't come out until 2009. They'll have plenty of time to fix the film if they need to. I doubt the WGA strike will last until May 2009, so they'll be able to legally tweak the script, and shoot new scenes if need be.

25. xwolverine2

xwolverine2 Arkham Assassin

seriously lol:woot: