X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

The writers killing off Gambit twice would certainly be a bold strategy. A dumb one, but bold.

I don’t think it would pay off, Cotton.

Imagine giving the reins to one of the BEST projects you've done in years, to a writer from that forgettable ass What If show.

Biggest grand opening, grand closing ever.

giphy.gif

Well, that definitely paints a picture of why DeMayo was let go. While I personally don't feel DeMayo was right for the job, feels like they are going in the wrong direction.

This series is the most special, universally loved Marvel project in ages, and their new main writer is someone mostly known for MCU slop. Does anyone at Disney understand what they have here and what potential this show has going forward? I'm worried, but we'll see, I guess.

I wish they would at least tell us why DeMayo was let go. If it's something serious, at least we can feel better about him being kicked out so unceremoniously.

I skipped What If season 2 because of disinterest. While I'm not a fan of the allegations for DeMayo and other things he posted in his Twitter/X account. So I remain indifferent with this show.

Anyway, this would probably last until season 3 (similar to What If?). I just hope we see more characters before its inevitable end.

What confuses me, and in fact is a big warning sign to me to the IP as a whole under Feige, is that they didn't have anyone to promote to showrunner on the production? They had to bring in someone from the outside?

Not surprising they kept it in-house for a number of reasons, but I would have reached out to Chris Yost, Craig Kyle, Alan Fine, etc. Any combo of these guys would produce great episodes like they have before. All genuine fans too.

Maybe they want to save them for an Avengers: EMH comeback on the horizon.

With all due respect, hell no to the suggestion of bringing on Yost and Kyle. The beauty of 97 and what made it refreshing was that it was different than what we have seen before, and bringing back old writers like them just means we'd get more of the same ol black leather and Wolverine stories shoved down our throats. No way we would've gotten lines like 'Milky Way ghetto' from them.

So yeah, absolutely not. We need more black/POC and or queer writers for X-Men.

I skipped What If season 2 because of disinterest. While I'm not a fan of the allegations for DeMayo and other things he posted in his Twitter/X account. So I remain indifferent with this show.

I only just watched What If S2 recently ... I was so pleasantly surprised. I instantly felt foolish for not having watched the episodes earlier (admittedly, I still skipped the Happy Hogan episode-- it's 90,000 degrees outside lol I wasn't in the mood for a holiday episode). In the very least, I'd recommend these four, if you've got the time

- What If... Nebula Joined the Nova Corps?
- What If... Peter Quill Attacked Earth's Mightiest Heroes? (i.e. Avengers '88)
- What If... Captain Carter Fought the Hydra Stomper?
- What If... Hela Found the Ten Rings?

I'm a litle worried about the part that said they revised DeMayo's scripts for season 2. I was taking solace in the fact that season 2 would still feel like DeMayo was running it because he had already written all of it. The fact that they're rewriting his stuff has me concerned.

And for the record, its not that NO ONE besides DeMayo could run an X-Men show but like it or not his style and DNA are a big reason this show blew up the way it has so changing that DNA is a risk.

With all due respect, hell no to the suggestion of bringing on Yost and Kyle. The beauty of 97 and what made it refreshing was that it was different than what we have seen before, and bringing back old writers like them just means we'd get more of the same ol black leather and Wolverine stories shoved down our throats. No way we would've gotten lines like 'Milky Way ghetto' from them.

So yeah, absolutely not. We need more black/POC and or queer writers for X-Men.
It's a bit unfair to broadstroke them like that without adding the proper context. While I agree the concept of a Wolverine led the X-Men series is not everyone's jam, it was the studios intent to create such a series with the first Wolverine solo film coming out around the same time. So they took that and made it work. Not to mention how great EMH was, or that Wolverine in Hulk vs. was not in black leather and might have had my favorite interpretaion of Deadpool outside of the comics. They are actual fans of the material too, so I have zero doubt they would make great episodes.

It's a bit unfair to broadstroke them like that without adding the proper context. While I agree the concept of a Wolverine led the X-Men series is not everyone's jam, it was the studios intent to create such a series with the first Wolverine solo film coming out around the same time. So they took that and made it work. Not to mention how great EMH was, or that Wolverine in Hulk vs. was not in black leather and might have had my favorite interpretaion of Deadpool outside of the comics. They are actual fans of the material too, so I have zero doubt they would make great episodes.

I'm just calling it from things that they've already brought to the table. Sure, a Wolverine solo movie was in line with WATXM, but the whole movie franchise up to that point had been Wolverine centered and those two did nothing but add to it. Yes they handled the Avengers nicely, but that doesn't mean they were equipped to give satisfying stories with the X-Men. When they got the chance to do it, they made Cyclops OOC, Storm was just flying around and Rogue was sidelined.

They definitely wouldn't have moved the needle the way in which DeMayo and this '97 Season 1 team has done.

This is my personal gut prediction:

Season 2 will be good, not as good as season one but much of Demayo's writing and tone will be intact but it wont be as sharp as season one.

Season 3 will be okay. It wont be bad, but it'll be markedly different. In fact, I'm betting it will be akin to Avengers EMH season 2 when Chris Yost and Craig Kyle got fired and they brought in Brian Michael Bendis and co to change the show into something more episodic and "accessible." I will bet you any amount of money, Disney is going to do what Disney does and make season 3 way more episodic and less serialized. There will still be an overaching story but each week the X-men will be sure to have a new villain to face and stories will largely be self contained. And then fanboys on the internet are going to argue about how the show went "back to its roots."

I hope i'm wrong though.

Well got no choice but to hope for best and that Wolverine stays his yellow spandex wearing ass on the sides (doubt it tho). I expect Demayo to be quite sassy on twitter tho especially if the third season has a big drop in quality, that could be funny.

Last edited:
Nah, Morph is going to go back to male pronouns, and any subtext that was there is going to disappear. (Trust me, Feige already nixed the throuple in the comics)

Also, Cyke is going to start spouting Sam Wilson's "Do Better" speech.

Wasn't that Breevort?

Nah, Breevort wasn't there yet. I'm sure he objected, its clear he hated the Krakoan era. But I'm thinking whoever was Feige's man inside Marvel to help synergize, had a talk with Jordan White.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"