Days of Future Past X-MEN at #20 in 'The32 MostSuccessful MovieFranchises OfAllTime'

Angamb

Avenger
Reaction score
Posted this in the News thread, but since this could lead to an interesting discussion, Ill make it its own thread.

X-Men is at #20 in TotalFilm magazine's:

'The 32 Most Successful Movie Franchises Of All Time'
Bond, Star Wars, X-Men and more...

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/the-32-most-successful-movie-franchises-of-all-time

Its a cool read; and would be interesting to learn how many jumps it does next year, after Days of future past ends its run in theatres.

It is also the 15th highest grossing film franchise ever!

1. Harry Potter - $7.7 B
2. James Bond
3. Marvel Cinematic Universe
4. Star Wars
5. Middle-Earth
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Batman
8. Shrek
9. The Twilight Saga
10. Spider-Man
11. Ice Age
12. Transformers
13. Iron Man - $2.4 B
14. Fast & Furious - $2.3 B
15. X-Men - $2.2 B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Iron Man and The MCU can't be both seperate and together :doh:

I view them indvidually, Thor franchise, Cap Franchise, Avenger franchise ect...

you made a point, but since Wolverine is also used as part of the X-Men franchise, I guess most sites do the same with Avengers and its solo movies.

The bottom line is Marvel is a marvel. It is dominating most of that list. Interestingly enough, DC has but one entry and technically they should have soooo much more considering how many rich characters they own. Ah well.

if Nolan trilogy and Man of Steel were part of the same universe, 'Justice League' universe would be pretty soon in the top 10, and even 5, with next Supes sequel.

I view them indvidually, Thor franchise, Cap Franchise, Avenger franchise ect...

Same here. For me, "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is just a branding, and not really a film series.

The bottom line is Marvel is a marvel. It is dominating most of that list. Interestingly enough, DC has but one entry and technically they should have soooo much more considering how many rich characters they own. Ah well.

Agreed!

And in my opinion, Justice League has the potential to become bigger than The Avengers. But too bad, WB doesn't know what to do with Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman and their DC Cinematic Universe. And instead of releasing movies for the characters that I mentioned, they do TV shows for CW.

If inflation is taken into consideration,James Bond will always be number 1

This is exactly how I feel.

If you consider IronMan,Captain America,Thor and Hulk as Marvel Cinematic Universe,you might as well consider SpiderMan/X-Men/FF as Fox Cinematic Universe.Then,Superman/Batman should be considered as DC Cinematic Universe

Same
And in my opinion, Justice League has the potential to become bigger than The Avengers. .

In terms of potential,Justice League>Avengers

If you consider IronMan,Captain America,Thor and Hulk as Marvel Cinematic Universe,you might as well consider SpiderMan/X-Men/FF as Fox Cinematic Universe.Then,Superman/Batman should be considered as DC Cinematic Universe.

Not really because those films weren't connected to each othr and it wasn't made it clear that they exist in 1 universe. And FOX didn't release the Spider-Man films. :oldrazz:

Though with the Batman/Superman team-up movie and Fantastic Four/X-Men team-up movie, there might be a DC Cinematic Universe and FOX Cinematic Universe.

But they are all made by the same studios, like the Marvel Studios ones.

some numbers and positions of the wikipedia article doesnt match with totalfilm list and neither with boxofficemojo.

Some franchises must be missing in wikipedia if X-Men is at #20 in Totalfilm and #15 in wikipedia.

edited: Ive just seen that wikipedia doesnt include some franchises like Rocky and some others. So the list isnt correct.

Last edited:
It is also the 15th highest grossing film franchise ever!

1. Harry Potter - $7.7 B
2. James Bond
3. Marvel Cinematic Universe
4. Star Wars
5. Middle-Earth
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Batman
8. Shrek
9. The Twilight Saga
10. Spider-Man
11. Ice Age
12. Transformers
13. Iron Man - $2.4 B
14. Fast & Furious - $2.3 B
15. X-Men - $2.2 B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Next year it should jump and be about 13th or 14th. Unless some other franchise comes out of nowhere. Or they crap another Ice Age film out.

some numbers and positions of the wikipedia article doesnt match with totalfilm list and neither with boxofficemojo.

Some franchises must be missing in wikipedia if X-Men is at #20 in Totalfilm and #15 in wikipedia.

edited: Ive just seen that wikipedia doesnt include some franchises like Rocky and some others. So the list isnt correct.

Huh what? Don't tell me the Rocky films grossed over 1.5 billion WW. Its domestic box-office gross is just under 600 million.

Plus:
-The Wolverine's gross is not counted in Total film's article.
-TotalFilm's added all the box-office grosses of Alien films, Predator films, AVP films and Prometheus.
-According to Totalfilm, Jurassic Park's current earnings are 2,942,610,014 but thats incorrect according to Box-Office Mojo's tally. Jurassic Park 1 earned 1,023,553,882 while Jurassic Park 2 earned less than 650 million and Jurassic Park 3 earned less than 400 million.
-Looking at Box-Office Mojo, Jaws got 470 million WW, Jaws 2 got 187m WW, Jaws 3 got 87.9m WW and Jaws 4 got 51.8 WW. Add those up and it will not reach 1 billion. While Total Film listed that Jaws earned 2.9 billion!
-Indiana Jones didn't get over 3.5 billion. According to Box-Office Mojo, Indy 4 got 786 million WW, Indy 3 got 474 million WW, Indy 2 got 333 million WW and Indy 1 got 390 million WW (the two re-releases are counted with that.

:o

TotalFilm totally got it wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"