Sequels X-Men 4: Faded to Fiasco?

flavio_lebeau

Superhero
Reaction score
xmen33320001rn3.jpg

This thread is a product of boredom. But yesterday, X2 was aired on my local TV, and as I watched it, I started to think...
We all know the HUGE opening weekend of X-Men: The Last Stand was entirely due to the awesome movie (according to most fans and critics) that was X2. Now, X3 suffered a terryfing drop from the first to the second week, and had terrible legs from then on. It's the movie with more mixed reviews, both from critics and fans. The most loved by some, but undoubtedly, the least liked by the majority.

So, If they were to make an X-Men 4, would this film be faded to be a failure due to the reputation X3 had?

IMO, the task is twice as hard this time. The movie will have to be, at least, on par with X2 to be a success. I predict it will be quite hard to achieve an opening weekend as good as X3 had.
To me, the only solution is if the movie is really really good, and as a direct consequence, have good legs (like Batman Begins, for example. Not that I like the movie, but it had good legs as far as I'm concerned). The task becomes even harder if we consider an X-Men 4 without Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Professor Xavier, Magneto and Mystique. Two or three of those are symbols of these movies, and the characters people remember the most (Mystique and Wolverine).

So, I think the only ways an X4 could ever achieve the same level of success of X2 and X3 is if they create a striking Marketing campaign (and again, they could learn with Batman), and if they have a story and overall movie of great quality. Gambit and Sentinels could help a lot in promotion too.

What do you Think?

It depends on a lot of things... the impression left by the last movie (which may be affected by the spin-offs), the length of time between films, returning cast, story, advertising, marketing, future competition, etc.

I agree especially that the story must be on par with X2

Faded to Fiasco?
To me a different F-word comes to mind.

But in terms of box office draw, I'm sure it'll still have a huge opening weekend. Cuz hell, Batman & Robin did well even though alot of ppl hated Batman Forever.

To me a different F-word comes to mind.

But in terms of box office draw, I'm sure it'll still have a huge opening weekend. Cuz hell, Batman & Robin did well even though alot of ppl hated Batman Forever.
Batman and Robin did well? :eek:

I'm not worried anymore.

It depends on a lot of things... the impression left by the last movie (which may be affected by the spin-offs), the length of time between films, returning cast, story, advertising, marketing, future competition, etc.
You know what? This thread should just be closed. You are absolutely right.

Actually, despite the general fans' reactions, the general audiences really seemed to enjoy X3.

Just as long as Storm and Wolverine are in X4, I'm sure iit will do fine.

Actually, despite the general fans' reactions, the general audiences really seemed to enjoy X3.

Just as long as Storm and Wolverine are in X4, I'm sure iit will do fine.
The problem is the word Wolverine. Will Jackman really be interested in an ensemble after he got his own movie? I don't think so, unfortunately.

Yea, I'm not so sure, either. Maybe the inclusion of Gambit will make up for that though. However, Marvel needs Storm in this franchise. She might be lightyears away from her comic counterpart, but audiences lover her.

Yea, I'm not so sure, either. Maybe the inclusion of Gambit will make up for that though. However, Marvel needs Storm in this franchise. She might be lightyears away from her comic counterpart, but audiences lover her.
Indeed. Two days ago, X2 aired on my local TV, and as I watched it, the housemaid said to me "Storm is the best. I never understand these X-men films entirely, but she's so cool". I smiled a bit and agreed they are generally more complex than most super-hero movies, but that Storm rocks. It was such a candid moment, and honest comment from her...

Storm is indeed loved by the general audience. She's a must for a possible X4.

It will need to include GAMBIT.

It will need a great story with an excellent screenwriter writing...

It will need a brilliant director.

It will have to bring back some of those characters (Cyclops, please) and have a new and amazing villain.

If they do all of the above, it could be huge...

firstly, I find this thread interesting, falvio, so why close it? he

In my case, I'm really not worried about the boxoffice. I think what people see when they go to the cinemas, is "X-men", and in the case of X4, they'll see "X-men 4" and the mayority will say "oh, they've made X4!", of course some fans maybe won't want to see it because of X3, but don't think it will be the case with the general audience.

So I think X3 quality won't affect X4 at the end of the day. This is now a franchise, so the logical thing is each sequel will make a bit more money than the last one, whatever the quality is the quality of the previous sequel.

And if we count a great promotion, with great trailers, with good effect, and new characters, specially with Gambit, and new great moments from Storm, and the already known x-men, people will go quickly to see X4. At least, that's how I see it. Probably, the boxoffice won't be much higher than X3, but it won't be a failure.

exactly

Gambit and Sentinels could help a lot in promotion too.

I doubt that; neither are exactly selling points anymore. It's far more likely they'll use Wolverine and Storm again as the main hero draws. As far as villains o it'll either be Magneto again or Apocalypse since he's the #2 X-villain.

Gambit is not a selling point? It would be a waste if he wasn't promoted heavily, imo... Mostly everyone who barely knows X-Men knows him. I know I'm falling on something I hate here, but my brother only knows X-Men from two or three episodes of TAS he watched as a kid, and when he first watched X2, the first comments were "Where is Gambit?" and how ugly Rogue was, and that that wasn't right.

Gambit is a character that a lot of people would watch an X4 just to see him...

I doubt Hugh is coming back for any sequel after his moive. FOX has to either find a way to make a franchise that doesn't need him to survive, or they'll lose a golden chance of making money...They've got to find ways to make the X-Men name become bigger than Halle Berries and Hugh Jackmans, imo. I also don't want them to reboot the damn series everytime an actor gets older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"