Comics X-Men comic fans - do you read other comics?

Ofcourse. I'd go crazy if I'd only read X-Titles (only read Astonishing, X-Factor and New Excal anyway).

Elijya said:
-hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna edit some spoiler tags just for anyone who may yet read the series

-BKV rocks, you should come post on his board some time www.bkv.tv

-If you dig BKV, you may wanna give the same treatment to Robert Kirkman, who writes Invinicble, The Walking Dead, Marvel Team-Up, and others. I think if you enjoy one you'd definitely enjoy the other.

-you let Fables be spoiled for you? you fool! I'm sorry man. Anyway, get back into it, vol 6, Homelands, is badassedness

-Preacher: wait, you haven't read vol 6 and 7, but you did read 8 and 9? you skipped ahead? aww, you suck. War in the Sun is the best of the bunch

-read Transmetropolitan or I will find you and do very very bad things to you....
Oops! I never think to use spoiler tags, but I can see why I should have, so that's cool.

I've been to bkv.tv a few times. The Last Angry Man (who is pretty much repsonsible for turning me on to all of the stuff I mentioned) has tried to get me join, so I guess one of these days I'll have to bit the bullet and do it. I'm just afraid I'll ask if I can buff his big bald head and see if Pia will bear my children. LOL

I'd never heard of Kirkman until I heard he was taking over Ultimate X-Men when BKV left. But that's really a good thing for me. I'm more likely to give a writer's other work a look if I've seen them write X-Men, especially Jean, cause I'm a fanboy and all, and since the Ultimate arc is Phoenix? right now and I've been liking what I've heard, that's just gravy! So I'll look out for some of those titles.

I know...I am a fool. :( But I was just really into that title and hated not knowing what was happening. I'm not able to get to a comic shop or book store that carries trades but once every couple of months, and I get too impatient. I'll have to do something about that.

All my Preacher trades were a gift from the Last Angry Man, as well as the Fables trades and just about everyhting else, so I got only those he could offer at first. I did try to get Vols. 6 and 7 before I read on, but the book was just too damn good for me to wait and find out. I've found them online, but I hate to order online. I'm going to have to, tho. Barnes and Noble isn't working fast enough to get the complete collection available in their local store (which is still like 100 miles away). God, I hate living in the middle of nowhere.

Ive looked for Transmetropolitan in the book store, too, but it's never there. It's another one I'll have to Amazon or Mile High.

What's really sad is that I never even realized there were non-hero centered comics out there, and I've found it's the ones that aren't about superheroes that I really enjoy the most. Bless the Len.

Len's a good guy, I'm sorry he decided to leave Hype

Your last sentiment is one I find dismaying, and part of the reason I started this thread. There are hundreds of comics, BETTER comics, out there that don't feature superheroes, or even sci-fi elements, in the least, that the majority of comic readers are either ignorant of or principly disinterested in, and I think it's a shame.

I order alot of my trades from www.dreamlandcomics.com They have a huige selection, all trades are 30% off, and there's free shipping if you spend $30

My Alias omnibus arrived in the mail. Not regretting my decision.

Elijya, I just tried reading She-Hulk. She cracked me up from the beginning. :up: But sadly, I didn't really find anything interesting from that. Also read GLA. It was hilarious when the animal villains started trashing the place and the GLA arrived, but the real Avengers were already there. :p It was alright in some parts and very funny.

I just started reading New X-Men and I fell in love. I skipped the whole House of M b/c it was starting to bore me. :down But I'm digging the whole Decimation arc. I really hated how they're killing off forty-something students, tearing off Icarus' wings and then killing off
Laurie.
It's insane. :o

I'm reading Nextwave, issue 1, at the moment. Okay, I think I'm in love with this title. It's cracking me up.

"Nextwave
is a super hero comic about five people who
have just minutes to prevent a town from
being eaten by a giant lizard monster.
In purple underpants."

LMAO... :p

No, unless someone gives them to me them i'm happy to read them. I have read Some of the starwars and 90's incredible hulk but most of my comics are X-men realted someway or another.

I used to just buy Uncanny back issues and I'm glad I stopped.To be honest,I haven't found a reason to care about anything x-related since getting back into comics,except BKV's run on UXM.

I'm glad I didn't fall into the trap of only getting stuff x-related.I took alot of chances back when I got into it all such as picking up books I thought I would never be reading(Cap,DD,Black Panther,Young Avengers).I'm currently loving everything I'm reading and feel as if I'm getting my money's worth with a good stories.

Take it from me,take a chance and branch out.

I was a big X-fan but have found myself dropping titles...Astonishing went during it's hiatus...Uncanny I dont even remember when I dropped it...i realized last Wed that I did. I am still buying Excalibur and will give Exiles a chance.
The other Marvel titles I read are.....Moon Knight
With DC it's Robin, Nightwing, Superman/Batman, Green Lantern, Teen Titans...and several other titles that I cant wait to comeout

Elijya said:
This has long been a concern of mine that I think a very large number of X-Men comic fans (along with Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman fans) tend to read virtually ANYTHING with an "X" on it, whether it's good or not, but completely ignore anything else going on the comics world. I used to read all (ALL) the x-titles for about 5 years straight, until I got to the point where I realized I hated the stories and they were just bad. Oh, sure, I love the characters, but when you really look at it from a critical perspective, a very large percentage of X-books are only mediochre at best. So I dropped all the X-Books and branched out, found other things to enjoy.

So I'm curious if anyone here sticks to X-Books and nothing but X-Books (or has maybe branched out a little, but it still 90% an X-Men reader).

Ok I'm a total sucker for the X but I've bought Ultimates and Young Avengers in Tradeback because of the positive things I heard from them. I also picked up Civil war I'llignore all but the X Tie ins with this. HOM almost killed me fiancally lol.

Only X-titles ive really got for a while, are Astonishing and X-Factor.. gave up on the other titles a while ago cos of the poor quality in writing, looking forward to the new writers tho.

Other title wise I get Young Avengers, New Avengers, Captain America, Runaways + Ultimates. The first issues of Moon Knight +Civil war have been great, so i think theyl be both on my pull list for the time being.
think X-Factor and Young Avengers are the only titles i really look forward too now tho.

I read (and liked) the first TPBs for New & Young Avengers, but somewhere along the way, I missed the boat on NA's second trade, and I have no idea how far along YA is. I hear YA is going on a break soon, so I might have to use that time to catch up. I'll take my time in pursuing more NA, since I haven't been hearing too many good things about it.

Manic, Lee - if you enjoy YA, you should definitely look into Runaways

Mightiest -Are you a Marvel only guy? ever try any DC, Image, Dark Horse, etc?

ghost113 said:
No, unless someone gives them to me them i'm happy to read them. I have read Some of the starwars and 90's incredible hulk but most of my comics are X-men realted someway or another.
Why not? Ever listen to any recommendations about some other good titles?

While I do read everything with an X on it(minus "The End" and "Unlimited"), I read a bunch of other books too. Like NA, YA, Runaways, Squadron Supreme, F4, Amazing Spidey, and a few other Marvel and Top Cow series.

Elijya said:
Manic, Lee - if you enjoy YA, you should definitely look into Runaways
I already read Runaways. I have all 5 digests.

Just started reading Son of M and am up to issue 2. It's looking pretty good so far.

Elijya said:
Is this because you have a specific dislike of things non-marvel? a fierce loyalty to Marvel? Have you tried things from other companies? and I don't just mean Superman and Batman, but highly acclaimed books or anything?

I am a rabid Marvel fan, in fact, I've even created a fan site called "Marvel Alliance", and try to support Marvel in all endeavours. I am fiercely against any other comic book companies. I cannot tell why, I only like Marvel Comics.

sebita said:
I am a rabid Marvel fan, in fact, I've even created a fan site called "Marvel Alliance", and try to support Marvel in all endeavours. I am fiercely against any other comic book companies. I cannot tell why, I only like Marvel Comics.
Ugh. One of those people.

Well... what can I do? Those Marvel Militia ads in old Avengers issues did it for me. I guess it also has something to do with my budget. I began buying X-Men, then all X-Titles, then spread to Avengers, Fantastic Four, fell in love with the TBolts. And I buy the books even when I don't like what they're publishing, I care about the characters, I follow characters not creators. Given the fairly big amount of comics I buy a month it would be impossible to add new comics, and if I did add, I still have a few Marvel Comics I want to buy. DC hasn't got a chance with me.

I'm reading Daredevil, Supreme Power, Runaways (on and off), Ult. Spider-Man (on and off), Ult. Galactus trilogy and Ult. Fantastic Four in addition to Astonishing, Ult. X-Men, X-Factor and Cable/Deadpool. I've also started dabbling in some DC trades as well.

sebita said:
Well, lemme ask you something - would you do the same for, say, a movie studio? Would you be fiercely loyal to any movie put out by Paramount, for example, whether it's good or bad, and ignore all movies produced by Warner Brothers, Fox, Disney, MGM, Columbia Tristar, all foreign films, etc?

A TV station? Would you set your TV to FOX, then break your remote because you have no intention of ever turning the channel to ABC, CBS, NBC, and all the cable channels.

Would you do it for a Video Game company? Swear your self to all Square/Enix games, good or bad, and scoff at those made by Nintendo, EA, Atari, Konami, Acclaim, Sega, Sony, etc.?

Would you do it for a book company? Only read those produced by Random House, and you wouldn't give two ****s about a book if you see another companies logo on it?

A radio station? Again, do you set your radio to a single station, then break off the button because you have no intention of ever switching the channel, even if a crappy song comes on?

Would you? probably not

Here's my point: the logo on the OUTSIDE of a comic has precisely ZERO impact on the quality of the work inside. Marvel makes some good comics, some bad comics. Same with DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Shelf, and all the rest. Doesn't it make a million times more sense to pledge your self to GOOD work, regardless of it's source, then pledging yourself to a singl;e source, taking both the good and the crappy stories?

I completely understand what you say and i totally agree with you, but as I've explained, I love the Marvel Characters. I follow the characters adventures, not the creators. REgardless of how good another company's book can be, I will always put Marvel heroes first, because I like them the most. Plus, my budget is limited, I cannot buy thousands of comics, if I did have the budget I would probably buy Wonder Woman or Supergirl, but since I don't I can't. And even if I did have the budget, there is still a lot of Marvel books (like Cable/Deadpool) I want to buy but can't.

I'm the same as sebita i read only Marvel. Sometimes i do get comics from other company, but nearly all of my comics are marvel ones.

To answer the main question, yes i read other comics other than X ones. I'm a hugh Punisher fan so i buy loads of them. I also get the She-hulk, and i did get the Black Widow but thats finished now so i'm looking for a new comic to buy, I'm thinking of getting the Runaways.

1)I am a follower of great stories. The X-Men have a certain dynamic that many solo books do not. Teams allow for a certain level of dialouge and interaction, that is easily perpetuated by constant conflict. Be it with a foe, or with one another. For that reason, I continue to be a fan of the X-Men. However, I think that there are many great stories to be told, with many other characters. Currently I read Astonishing X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man. Though over the next month I plan to find regular titles to pick up, so that i'll always have something to read for the entire month. With that in mind however...

2)My funds are soon to be quite limited. Comics are a cheap form of entertainment, but that doesn't mean I can just go ape **** with my budget (though I nearly do as it is). I am quitting my current job soon, so that I can return my focus to my academics, rather than meager (slave) wages. Once that happens, i'll have to spend more carefully, because I won't have a second check to really back me up. I currently make about $800 a month (I work part time at the Goodwill, my father thankfully bank rolls college). But now, i'm heading for a job that maybe gives me 10-12 hours a week. That means my paychecks will look something more like $120 every two weeks. So going from $800 a month to about $240 a month is a huge drop. Automatically take $80 out of that because I pay the house phone...and well, I won't have much left. At most I can spend $40 a month on comic books, and still have a comfortable amount of money left. I can honestly tell you, that I am with Sebita when it comes to the idea that limited funds, mean Marvel gets my dollar, before any other comic. Though i'm young (22), I still remember the Marvel Bullpen. Marvel is just a part of my youth that I can't seem to abandon. So for better or for worst (and certainly for worst with ****ty stories like Sins Past), I stick with Marvel.

I just got into Cable&Deadpool and am up to issue#22 at the moment. It's a great title and Deadpool is awesome. I got confused and lost sometimes b/c of the whole advanced sci-fi stuff, but I still love it. ;)

Just read Ms Marvel #1 yesterday. Got me hooked right from the beginning.

Hey, I grew up with Marvel too, and the majority of books I still read are Marvel. But I've branched out. Sure, you can love the characters, but why would you read a completely peice of **** story starring a character you like then an amazong story starring a character you're not yet familiar with? The Former sounds like a much bigger waste of mjoney then the latter.

I like Spider-Man, but I'm not gonna get suckered into buying a completely crappy story just because he's in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"