X-Men (if Marvel had the rights)

Reh

Civilian
Reaction score
So, I thought I would throw this out there. If Marvel got the rights back to the X-Men franchise they would need to reboot the whole thing and make it fit with the current MCU. I think the best way to do this would be a TV series (maybe 13 episodes like the Walking Dead) and then the occasional film for the big stories.

They would have to set it in modern day (which would require changing some characters back stories) and I think start with the original five and build from there throughout the seasons.

Who would you guys like to see cast in this type of TV reboot for the X-Men in the MCU?

Here are few ideas:

Professor Xavier: Jason Isaacs
Cyclops: Lachlan Buchanan
Jean Grey: jane levy
Beast: ?
Angel: ?
Iceman: ?
Magneto: ?

Cable: Stephen Lang

tumblr_limrn46dQF1qhtsovo1_500.png

stephen-lang-cable-xmen.jpg

Deadpool: Sean William-Scott (Stiffler)

1762514-seann_william_scott___deadpool.jpg

Gambit: Ryan Kwanten

colin-farrell-ryan-kwanten-2011-amfar-inspiration-gala-15.jpg

Gambit.jpg

Mr. Sinister: Wes Bentley

tumblr_m2hwv3gIcB1rn059do2_r1_500.gif

X-Men-Fan-Cast-Character-Mr.Sinister-Actor-Jason-Isaacs-394x500.jpg

Cyclops: Chris Pine (another chris for MCU!)

chris_pine-1.jpg

0oRXHqbrSTqyyZ0Iqrsp_tumblr_lo7tq0o4Nv1qboaqro1_500.gif

Last edited:
Hmm. The idea of making them a series that actually flips back and forth between TV/Streaming and Movies is interesting, as an experiment. No idea if it'd work, but at least it'd be a noble failure.

The bigger issue, by far, is theme. Simply put, the Mutant Paranoia that virtually all X-comics run on has no real place in the MCU. In order to actually fit the X-Men into the setting, you'd need to be willing and able to write stories for them that *don't* rely on humanity being genocidal psychopaths. "How mutants deal with the world, and how the world deals with mutants" can still be the core, but it has to act at a brightness and nuance level above "Look at that mutant rescue a kitten from a tree. Lynch him!"

So, I have a whole thread of ideas linked in my sig, in short, the drama of the X-Men definitely needs TV.

To keep power usage limited, ratchet up the drama and support the mutant paranoia thing, I'd have the X-Men's powers be out of control. Mutancy would come with grave negative side effects, and even the heroes would be known to cause their fair share of havoc on accident. In short, mutant fear would be justified. By the time the kids start gaining control of their powers, it'd be too late, damage done, mutants would be seen as a danger to society, not unlike The Hulk.

Last edited:
Awesome ideas guys. I will say they would probably need younger actors since it's an origin story. And I agree the with drama focus.

Awesome ideas guys. I will say they would probably need younger actors since it's an origin story. And I agree the with drama focus.

In that case:

Scott
Josh-Hutcherson1.jpg

Jean
3791-1393954379-98dca8f60cd3cac583da1450ea59b46a.jpg

Hank
3151018.jpg

Bobby
asa-butterfield_a120617_jpg_640x480_upscale_q90.jpg

Warren
Skandar-Keynes-photograph.jpg

Magneto - Terrence Stamp
Wolverine - Christian Kane
Graydon Creed - Adam Baldwin
Warren Worthington III - Alex Pettyfer
Jason Wyngarde - Lance Henricksen

Last edited:
What have the mutants been doing this whole time? That'll be hard to explain. And the fact that tbe majority of people love The Avengers but hate tbe Xmen. What's the difference between The Hulk and a mutant?

In my version: nothing much. Charles Xavier, Eric Lensherr would be the only active mutants at the current time, and they wouldn't be doing anything too big, they'd just be unregistered gifted on SHIELD's radar, like Scorch from Agents of SHIELD.

The reason people would hate mutants is because mutancy would be associated with incidents of random teenagers killing their parents, mind-raping innocents and y'know, the whole terrorist Magneto thing would really put things over the edge.

There actually wouldn't be much difference between the Hulk and a mutant, except press coverage and anonymity. Anyone could be a mutant, so there'd be paranoia. Generally, you don't worry that your neighbor's kid is going to Hulk out and kill you randomly one day. And Hulk would be an Avenger, but 'mutants' wouldn't be an Avenger. People may not hate the X-Men any more than any other mutants, but the X-Men would save the world, largely, under the cover of darkness, and largely from mutants, not making mutants any less feared. Whereas the Avengers shine in the daytime and fight against aliens and robots and time travelers. They have a much better shot at winning over the public, if indeed they do.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking about that too, some fan casting also put him in the Johnny Storm Category.

I could see that too. I'm ready to see him in something bigger. I was watching Knights of Badassdom the other night and all I could think of was Iron Fist (and of course Peter Dinklage being awesome).

There are some great casting ideas in here from everyone. I might have to take the time to do a few myself.

First and foremost, depending on the age range they want the characters in, Jane Levy as either Jean Grey or Kitty Pride.

1367862062_jane-levy-lg.jpg

What have the mutants been doing this whole time? That'll be hard to explain. And the fact that tbe majority of people love The Avengers but hate tbe Xmen. What's the difference between The Hulk and a mutant?

Yeah I agree. Maybe it could be done but I think it would be messy to ever try and bring the X-Men into the MCU. I always kind of had an issue with it in the comics too. I think the X-Men in film are best suited to their own universe where the tone already established actually makes sense.

I do think Marvel could make a very amazing X-Men movie but even then it should probably be standalone. It's all just a pipe dream anyway so I'm more of a fan of the idea that Fox just reboot completely and start over from scratch and get some people involved that care about X-Men characters other than Wolverine.

In my version: nothing much. Charles Xavier, Eric Lensherr would be the only active mutants at the current time, and they wouldn't be doing anything too big, they'd just be unregistered gifted on SHIELD's radar, like Scorch from Agents of SHIELD.

The reason people would hate mutants is because mutancy would be associated with incidents of random teenagers killing their parents, mind-raping innocents and y'know, the whole terrorist Magneto thing would really put things over the edge.

There actually wouldn't be much difference between the Hulk and a mutant, except press coverage and anonymity. Anyone could be a mutant, so there'd be paranoia. Generally, you don't worry that your neighbor's kid is going to Hulk out and kill you randomly one day. And Hulk would be an Avenger, but 'mutants' wouldn't be an Avenger. People may not hate the X-Men any more than any other mutants, but the X-Men would save the world, largely, under the cover of darkness, and largely from mutants, not making mutants any less feared. Whereas the Avengers shine in the daytime and fight against aliens and robots and time travelers. They have a much better shot at winning over the public, if indeed they do.

Hmmm these are some pretty interesting ideas.

Don't know about the actors, but it'd be way more fun, more characters would get focus and there would be a greater focus on the team dynamic, and the progression would be closer to the comics.

sigh

SO GLAD Marvel doesn't have the rights.

Eh. . . I simply cannot see mutant hatred as a broad phenomenon in the MCU. The MCU is a place where, routinely, the average person when faced with an evil situation stands up to the challenge, in big ways or small. Or to put differently, when *the Hulk* is viewed as a hero with popularity, to the point of having toys in stores, there is no reason to think the average heroic mutant wouldn't be equally capable of popularity if not moreso.

Does this mean vast chunks of classic X-Men stories are unworkable? Yep. This means you either don't do the X-Men at all, or you actually have to be creative for once, and write stories that don't depend on the general public being genocide groupies.

That's one of my points but the main thing is where have these mutants been. Magneto/Sinister/Apocalypse/Mystique/Wolverine/Sabretooth would have been active before most of The Avengers were even born and they've been causing a **** storm. Their not The Inhumans.. Mutants are based off of African-Americans and the discrimination they faced during the civil rights movement. If Mutants were real in the MCU they would experience hate because they are HOMO-SUPERIOR. Hydra/Shield/World Security Council would be aware of them. Thousands of Mutants wouldn't have been unnoticed.

Other than that I'd love them in the MCU. My dream is to see a full Illuminati vs Cabal fight

Last edited:
It would have to be rebooted (obviously), but it would be interesting. Start with the Original 5, cast hot up and coming teen actors (except for Beast who can be early 20s) and go from there. I'd make Sinister the main bad guy of the first movie. Give Magneto a break considering he's been in every Fox X-Men movie, but build to him as the villain of the inevitable sequel. Sinister, as a geneticist, would be a good villain to explain the mutant phenomenon, and would finally give Cyclops the spotlight.

That said, X-Men is fine where it is. I think Fox has done a poor job overall utilizing the license, but it frees up Marvel to experiment with such properties as Guardians of the Galaxy and, like others have said, it'd be tough (but not impossible) to fit the discrimination of mutants in the MCU where having powers is viewed as "awesome."

X-Men does need a refreshing take though.

How would this even work when they're bringing in Pseudo-Maximoff Twins who probably aren't mutants or Magneto's children?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"