Xbox Xbox Series X Thread

Cheap Ass Gamer: “News: A number of Xbox physical game releases from smaller publishers have been marked as cancelled on GameStop's internal system. Games are also listed as ‘Currently unavailable’ on Amazon. Other platforms are still available for pre-order.”

I'm very doubtful we see Halo or Gears of War or any other current in-house exclusives make a jump to Sony before the next gen. Now Bethesda and other studios they have bought? Definitely a different picture there.

I'm very doubtful we see Halo or Gears of War or any other current in-house exclusives make a jump to Sony before the next gen. Now Bethesda and other studios they have bought? Definitely a different picture there.
Yeah perhaps it won't be so soon but the fact of the matter is is that signs point to it being an inevitability.

Does any of this mean that the Halo games are suddenly going to be available on Playstation?
Now you guys know how it felt for Sega fans seeing Sonic on Nintendo consoles. :o

Hmmm I'm curious about this will effect the long term lifespan of X-BoX consoles. Could they keep releasing a new console when Sony releases PlayStation 6, 7, 8 and so on...

20 million-ish after 3 years for Series X doesn't sound thrilling and with this move, its another strike for X-BoX consoles. I just don't think it would be wise putting resources on newer (more powerful) consoles that wouldn't sell much anyway.

It does seem like Microsoft is killing/phasing out XboX consoles even if they don't flat out say it. First with all xboX eXclusives coming to PC right away, then XboX gamepass accessible to Windows and now porting their console eXclusive games to PS/Nintendo...

If the rumors are true the only alternative to Xbox straight up being phased out as a physical platform that I can think of is Xbox switching gears to the handheld market, but their talk of porting games to Nintendo as well as Nintendo's new console probably not being too far off make that seem a bit unlikely to me, that would result in Xbox trying to join a market where both Nintendo and Steam render them redundant.

Last edited:
So what's the point of owning an Xbox?
Apart from past game purchases, online friends, achievements (including history), controller/interface preferences etc, it will become pointless for most if the games all went third party, even if timed. I think most would move to PS5 or pc to get all the same games and more.

Apart from past game purchases, online friends, achievements (including history), controller/interface preferences etc, it will become pointless for most if the games all went third party, even if timed. I think most would move to PS5 or pc to get all the same games and more.
here's the thing with that though. Sony's president went on record recently saying that they want to increase margins with multiplatform releases, and by multiplatform the only other thing they could mean is PC releases. but if Sony starts releasing all of their games day and date with PC, then the same sentiment people have with Xbox hardware is going to boil over to playstation hardware too.

in the same way, what would be the point of owning a playstation if all of their first party games are available on PC?

here's the thing with that though. Sony's president went on record recently saying that they want to increase margins with multiplatform releases, and by multiplatform the only other thing they could mean is PC releases. but if Sony starts releasing all of their games day and date with PC, then the same sentiment people have with Xbox hardware is going to boil over to playstation hardware too.

in the same way, what would be the point of owning a playstation if all of their first party games are available on PC?
The same reason why people play games on Xbox instead of PC, a comparably powerful PC will set you back at least twice as much as a PS5, with Xbox out of the way I doubt it would be a huge hit to Sony's console sales, and their software sales would more than make up for it.

The same reason why people play games on Xbox instead of PC, a comparably powerful PC will set you back at least twice as much as a PS5.
if that is the reason why people play games on Xbox instead of PC, then why isn't the gap between Ps5 and Series X much closer? Both consoles are the same price at $500

if that is the reason why people play games on Xbox instead of PC, then why isn't the gap between Ps5 and Series X much closer? Both consoles are the same price at $500
Because Playstation generally has the better exclusives, and has been around longer as well, and the one time Xbox almost became real competition for Playstation, their console ended up being a piece of crap with a failure rate that peaked at over 50% which no doubt gave some of their customers serious doubts about supporting them in the future, hell that probably should have killed Xbox as a platform for good.

I think pc vs console is more of a shift as there are many console gamers to who playing on a pc is almost an alien concept, while changing console is much more palatable. But it’s all good news for pc lol, they’re going to get everything at launch outside Nintendo for the cheapest game price and no online fees (and best performance if they spend on their rig).

Because Playstation generally has the better exclusives, and has been around longer as well, and the one time Xbox almost became real competition for Playstation, their console ended up being a piece of crap with a failure rate that peaked at over 50% which no doubt gave some of their customers serious doubts about supporting them in the future, hell that probably should have killed Xbox as a platform for good.
I think the first Xbox was a decent new entrant against the unbeatable PS2 behemoth, and the 360 found that X-factor needed to actually challenge the gen after (alongside Sony dropping the ball at PS3 launch). The X1 launch was an epic disaster which Xbox are still feeling the impact of today, and there was a period where the difference in quantity and quality of exclusives was ridiculous. The PS is the default console for a big majority nowadays including casuals who take recommendations from more entrenched gamers.

yeah the RROD was the worst hardware failure in history, I think. I don't think anything comes close. but regardless of that, I think Microsoft was able to build a large install base and fan base going into the 8th generation, but because Xbone was $100 more than the Ps4 I think it made it less appealing on top of its infamous reveal with Don Mattrick. but even then, I don't think the Xbone performed that badly. Its lifetime sales is sitting somewhere around 60 or 70 million consoles and that's closer to the lifetime sales of the 360 than it is to the original Xbox.
I think pc vs console is more of a shift as there are many console gamers to who playing on a pc is almost an alien concept, while changing console is much more palatable. But it’s all good news for pc lol, they’re going to get everything at launch outside Nintendo for the cheapest game price and no online fees (and best performance if they spend on their rig).
for me personally yes switching to PC would be kind of an alien concept. I was a PC gamer for a very short time in my gaming life and I honestly didn't like it. I like having a console to play video games on and to have a computer for everything separate. in some ways, the PC is not a competition to consoles but in other ways, it still certainly is. just in the same way within consoles themselves, the Switch isn't always competition to the other two consoles but at the end of the day it still is competition in other ways.

PC and console gaming are two different experiences. It's totally understandable that some people prefer the ease of use a gaming console offers.

But like Iceman said above, there's still (unfortunately) a stigma about PC gaming that:
  • it costs a mortgage to buy a PC
  • it's too complicated (who wants to regularly update their GPU drivers?!?!?)
  • you can't connect/play with a TV
  • "But I don't want to play with keyboard and mouse!!!11"
PC gaming is as easy as it gets nowadays. Plenty of resources and even YouTube tutorials if you want to learn about building your own rig or need to troubleshoot.

You don't like motion blur and want to turn it off but there's no option in the settings? You find the camera too narrow and want to increase the FOV? Or you want to unlock all the skins in the game without having to work for them? There's PC Gaming Wiki that tells you how for pretty much every single game.

You hate Windows? Then there's Linux for you and ProtonDB tells you which games are compatible (Steam Deck included) with ratings (gold = runs good after tweaks, platinum = runs perfectly, etc.)

PC and console gaming are two different experiences. It's totally understandable that some people prefer the ease of use a gaming console offers.

But like Iceman said above, there's still (unfortunately) a stigma about PC gaming that:
PC gaming is as easy as it gets nowadays. Plenty of resources and even YouTube tutorials if you want to learn about building your own rig or need to troubleshoot.

You don't like motion blur and want to turn it off but there's no option in the settings? You find the camera too narrow and want to increase the FOV? Or you want to unlock all the skins in the game without having to work for them? There's PC Gaming Wiki that tells you how for pretty much every single game.

You hate Windows? Then there's Linux for you and ProtonDB tells you which games are compatible (Steam Deck included) with ratings (gold = runs good after tweaks, platinum = runs perfectly, etc.)
yup, the bolded makes all the difference, at least in my case. as I said above, I myself was a PC gamer but I just didn't enjoy it as much as gaming on a console. even if adapting to to it is simpler these days, I like the simplicity of just purchasing a console and purchasing software for it.

and if I grew up being an Xbox gamer instead of a playstation gamer, I would be answering the question "what is the point of having an Xbox" the same way; I would prefer to play video games on a console, even if they can all be played on a PC.

yeah the RROD was the worst hardware failure in history, I think. I don't think anything comes close. but regardless of that, I think Microsoft was able to build a large install base and fan base going into the 8th generation, but because Xbone was $100 more than the Ps4 I think it made it less appealing on top of its infamous reveal with Don Mattrick. but even then, I don't think the Xbone performed that badly. Its lifetime sales is sitting somewhere around 60 or 70 million consoles and that's closer to the lifetime sales of the 360 than it is to the original Xbox.

for me personally yes switching to PC would be kind of an alien concept. I was a PC gamer for a very short time in my gaming life and I honestly didn't like it. I like having a console to play video games on and to have a computer for everything separate. in some ways, the PC is not a competition to consoles but in other ways, it still certainly is. just in the same way within consoles themselves, the Switch isn't always competition to the other two consoles but at the end of the day it still is competition in other ways.
Exactly. PS & XBox are direct competitors while pc and Nintendo have significant overlap but also do their own thing in some ways where they have less competition.

Yep. I only ever play on a large TV, don’t even own a monitor lol. Also only use controller apart from certain genres like RTS. It’s a far cry from the past where there was far less support for new pc gamers (like forums and YouTube As you say).

Yeah I don't see myself getting a Pc just to play games. The last time I played a videogame in PC was in the early 2000s (GTA Vice City). That laptop didn't last very long. I only use my PC for personal files/work. While I keep my gaming eXclusive for the PlayStation (I also don't play mobile games).

Yeah I don't see myself getting a Pc just to play games. The last time I played a videogame in PC was in the early 2000s (GTA Vice City). That laptop didn't last very long. I only use my PC for personal files/work. While I keep my gaming eXclusive for the PlayStation (I also don't play mobile games).
that's interesting the one time I was a PC gamer, it was GTA3 for me. it was cool with being able to mod the game and stuff but ultimately it just didn't appeal to me the same way playing the game on Ps2 did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"